GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

A) the whole "last time a team scored 10 points" thing is irrelevant

So is the fact that they scored 10 points one time. It isn’t some determining factor that shows their offense is incapable of catching fire again.

14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

B) it seems some have a problem with others throwing doubt or criticizing Bortles.

No. We have a problem with the extent and broadness of what we’re seeing insofar as the criticisms are. “I think Bortles will make some crucial mistakes that cost this team the game” is wholly different from “the Jaguars aren’t going to do anything on offense so long as Blake is their QB.”

11 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Bortles is the most criticized player in NFL history

Even the media is starting to say they’ve never seen a player criticized like this by his peers. But sure, we’re just overreacting.

14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

In a two day period...one in which you are throwing random insults at.

Feel free to quote that. I don't recall insulting you or iPwn. 

As for your post referring to Ipwn, who is saying Blake doesn't deserve criticism? He clearly is the weak link of this team and we live and die by how he ultimately plays and if he has a repeat of Buffalo the chances of winning are slim. 

Doesn't mean it's not ridiculous what some people are saying regarding our chances in this game. We beat this team 30-9 earlier in the year. That was earlier this season and ultimately means little as far as what happens this week, but that still shows we can play with this team and matchup well. 

We clearly aren't favorites nor should we be, but it SHOULD be a good game and unless Blake can't spark any drives/turns it over several times I expect it's pretty close when all is said and done. These two teams usually have pretty good battles and we've had Big Ben's # pretty much his whole career.

I don't really disagree with any of that. I'm not counting Jacksonville out of this game and hope they win it, tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don't really disagree with any of that. I'm not counting Jacksonville out of this game and hope they win it, tbh. 

Pretty sure the only reason IPwn stated anything is in reference to the people saying those exact things. Such as "The Jaguars don't stand a chance with Blake Bortles as their QB."

I don't think any Jaguars fan has a problem with Bortles getting criticized for last weeks game (although as we talked about in the Jaguars forum, it's almost like a little brother relationship. We can talk all the trash we want to about him but when someone from outside the organization/fan of someone else starts talking, you jump in to defend him...), but when people act like we can't win games with him when it's been proven time and time again, against the same exact team we play this week as well, it's pretty hard to understand their thinking.

I think a lot of people have players like how I referenced above. I've read in the Titans forum time and time again this season about how awful Mariota played/aren't sure if he's a franchise guy and may need insurance but if it's said by one of us or someone in NFL Gen they will come in and fight it. 

Just now, Starless said:

Favorite Jaguar? He might be my favorite player, period.

Well, being a Jaguars fan, I figured that was assumed.

Hard to beat guys from my youth like Freddy T/Big John Henderson etc., but man is this guy just amazing.

It’s hard to put him above Fred just because of how much Fred influenced my childhood’s experience of football and how Fred lived up to everything a sports idol is supposed to be. But outside of that, I’m not sure anyone in any sport goes above Jalen for me. 

16 hours ago, iPwn said:

I get why Pittsburgh is the favorite. They deserve to be. But this attitude that Jacksonville doesn’t stand a chance is ridiculous.

The Jaguars scored more points throughout the year, turned the ball over less, allowed fewer points, forced more turnovers. I could add a lot more. But they don’t stand a chance because a player that played all 16 games while they did that will still be playing? 

I think this is every Jaguars fan. We all understand why Pitt is favored and they should be but the "Jaguars have no chance" is so overplayed. The fact is we beat Pittsburgh and every one acts like we were the team that lost 30-9

I keep hearing "If Pittsburgh gets up 14-0 early then you guys are screwed....first off you are assuming our defense gives up points in bunches at the very beginning of the game and also, if we actually are down early in the 1st half there is no reason to abandon the run and throw-throw-throw because then yes we really are screwed. But if you say "If Roethlisberger throws 3+ picks, the Steelers are toast" everyone says oh that'll never happen but that actually did...

I get that Pittsburgh has experience and they very well could come in to Heinz Field and impose their will and get the W but I'm so sick of the forgone conclusion that the Patriots and Steelers are playing in the AFCCG

Folks have been very critical of Bortles, with good reason, but why is Mariota being treated as though he is a superstar, who has been the catalyst for his team's success, when its really been quite the opposite?

Mariota had by far his best game of the season last week.  Bortles had by far his worst game of the season last week, passing-wise anyway.  But looking at what each quarterback has done over the course of the season, Mariota's obvious regression has been a non-story, and Bortles has been taking the brunt of criticism and ridicule despite having a number of impressive outings, and an overall, decent season:

Bortles: 60% 3687yds, 21td, 13int. = Trash

Mariota: 62% 3232yds, 13td, 15int.  = Electrifying.      I try not to be too much of a stats guy, but it's hard to ignore the obvious..

Bortles is certainly in the lower half of starting quarterbacks, but all too often he's talked about as though he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the league, and that's simply not the case.  Despite the lashing he took from media and fans, he really wasn't that bad last year either.

On the other hand, Mariota has been a bottom 10 quarterback this season, and gets a pass... why?

Archived