GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers

gopherwrestler

GWT: Week 19 Jags @ Steelers  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Nah, it's really not. But I'm not going to argue it further. Tomlin is woefully bad at scheming and in game adjustments. He has stuck with outdated or outright bad coaches on his staff. He has no business being considered a good coach. He gets his guys to play hard, true. But give most coaches the talent he has had and they'd have similar or better results.

It's amazing that so many coaches HAVEN'T had that luck though...

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

This Board literally said the Steelers roster - minus QB - was a bottom 5 talented offense from 2012-2014... And he never went worse than 8-8. But yes, the old Cowher's team addage. Amazing that that is still coming up 12 years later when, literally, only one Cowher player remains on the roster and he has a winning record when that Cowher player doesn't play... Which is often, sadly.

The Cowher reference is only to justify his early career W/L record.

The Steelers front office should get much more credit than Tomlin for Tomlin's W/L record.

But hey, if Steelers fans like seeing their loaded offense come up small consistently in big games and perpetually miss out on the Super Bowl despite a franchise QB and "top 3" coach, more power to you guys.

I think he's a mediocre to bad coach and most other coaches could have achieved similar results to him given the Steelers' roster.

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Nah, it's really not. But I'm not going to argue it further. Tomlin is woefully bad at scheming and in game adjustments. He has stuck with outdated or outright bad coaches on his staff. He has no business being considered a good coach. He gets his guys to play hard, true. But give most coaches the talent he has had and they'd have similar or better results.

Tomlin is a poor man's Rex Ryan who was gifted a much better situation than Rex ever had.

Just now, lancerman said:

With all coaching discussions.... Belichick skews things so much. Name 4 better longterm coaches than Tomlin. Carroll's the only one and he's accomplished about as much as Tomlin

Exactly. There's few coaches who bring consistency to a franchise. Guy might be hotter than Tomlin or McCarthy for a year or two, but then they get fire and those guys remain. Roster or not, coaches play a huge role in team consistency.

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

It's amazing that so many coaches HAVEN'T had that luck though...

I don't even know what this means.

Most teams have awful GM's and lack good QB's. Tomlin has had both and hasn't done nearly enough with it. I hope the Steelers stick with him so they can continue to come up small.

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Most teams have awful GM's and lack good QB's. Tomlin has had both and hasn't done nearly enough with it. I hope the Steelers stick with him so they can continue to come up small.

They should trade for Belichick IMO.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

After how many times the Steelers have screwed up, they are only down 2 TD's. This game is far from over. If Fournette is out the rest of the game, Pitt could do this.

Yeah it's insane, The Steelers completely flopped instead of kicking that field goal early, then they throw an interception that leads to a TD, and that fumble that gets returned for a TD.

The Steelers could be up by 3 if it weren't for how sloppy they've been playing.

I don't trust them to turn it around though.

1 minute ago, Shady Slim said:

wouldn't surprise me if tomlin absolutely roasts the defense at HT

Nah, just remind them that a TD to open the half makes it a one score game.  I think a HC should keep composure right now.  

And bring up Shazier as inspiration.

1 minute ago, mcmurtry86 said:

He's the team with the second most wins in an era dominated by the Patriots. He is one of the only coaches in the Belichick era to have a ring and the since he's been hired he's one of only 4 Coaches to make multiple Super Bowls during that timeframe, only 2 of which are still active. I mean, hell, let's not pretend that Tomlin has a winning record without Ben or nothing.

Archived