NFL What-Ifs

CKS97

We all know the NFL is a league of what-ifs that can haunt players or teams looking back.

I wanted to throw this out there because there are some things that I think would have been interesting to see how they affect a team going forward.

2 examples I'll start with:

1. What if the 2014-15 Colts did not have to play NE in the AFC-CG? Remember, that was the year New England traded blows with Baltimore in an AFC Divisional playoff classic that could have gone either way (Edelman threw a TD pass)

I say this because Indy was the 4 seed, Baltimore the 6 seed. Had the Ravens prevailed in a game they could have possibly won.... remember, Luck's Colts were OWNED by New England with the games having comical lopsided scores. OTOH, they had beaten the Ravens that season and didn't exactly get obliterated when they played a WC game at Baltimore. 

And if that happens, probably no Deflategate.

2. What if the 2015 Jets had made the playoffs over the Steelers?

Remember, that whole Cincy/Pittsburgh WC playoff debacle never would have happened had the Jets made it. (Given how the season played out, if LeVeon Bell does not score on the final play on MNF vs the Chargers and everything else is the same, the Jets actually could have clinched when Decker caught that week 16 OT touchdown vs. the Patriots)

i don't think a hypothetical Jets/Bengals WC game goes the way of that Pittsburgh game (lack of bad blood) and probably play a more disciplined game against a completely different opponent.

Given how shaky the AFC was that year, it would have been interesting to see how things go.

with a playoff win or more, does Ryan Fitzpatrick still do that whole holdout thing if his season has a happier ending beyond Buffalo week 17?

Could the Jets have maybe beaten Denver with no offense or a MASH unit New England?

or what if the Bengals get that playoff monkey off their back? Dalton IIRC was going to return the next game had they won. And hey, how might we view Marvin Lewis had that happened?

What if San Diego didn't completely choke in 1979 at home against a Houston Oilers team without Pastorini or Campbell with their backup runningback already on crutches and their backup QB maybe the worst to play in a playoff game. This was arguably the best team in San Diego Chargers history, and they didn't even show up. 

I want to see the alternate universe where Pittsburgh has to go to San Diego again that year for the AFC Championship. Earlier that season they got owned by the Chargers. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

In order to go down that road you'd have to also explore "WHAT IF" Art didn't move the team. That's all I'm saying. Most Browns fans LOVED BB.

Check again, I'm changing it just to; what if BB is the 2018 Browns coach, and had been so for 10 years. Where would they be? 

Archived