2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not any different than Landry or Edmunds in terms of block shedding. As I've said you can't expect a 250 pound guy to consistently beat a guy who is 75 pound heavier than him and stronger. They're upfield attackers, just like Clay. Guys like Perry, Davenport and Chubb can sit there in hand combat with an OL and set the edge. LVE, Edmunds, Key, Landry they're upfield players, they need to attack the LOS. 

I see both Edmunds and LVE as much better pro prospects than college prospects because you don't get the multiple front versatility very often from a college defense. These guys are ILBs in a college scheme. With a coordinator like Pettine I think you're looking more at that Matthews role from a few years back. No reason to have guys that big and explosive dropping into coverage consistently. I see both handcuffed by a college stystem. 

What ILB isn't 75 pounds lighter than the OL tho? You dont have the strength of a DLineman, but you still gotta do something to get off blocks. LVE just doesnt do much. He doesn't use his hands at all, most of the time he throws his body into blocks. Unless he learns to use his hands better, he'll suffer in the run game despite how you use him. He'll prob get better at it in the NFL no doubt.

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

What ILB isn't 75 pounds lighter than the OL tho? You dont have the strength of a DLineman, but you still gotta do something to get off blocks. LVE just doesnt do much. He doesn't use his hands at all, most of the time he throws his body into blocks. Unless he learns to use his hands better, he'll suffer in the run game despite how you use him. He'll prob get better at it in the NFL no doubt.

What I'm saying is I haven't seen any ILB as a prospect that continually does. Smith gets enveloped, Edmunds let's guys get to his body just like LVE. No ILB consistently sheds blocks. You've either have to scheme them to attack a gap, or keep them clean with the big guys up front. If you play them read and react and an OG gets a clean release to the second level, forget it.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What I'm saying is I haven't seen any ILB as a prospect that continually does. Smith gets enveloped, Edmunds let's guys get to his body just like LVE. No ILB consistently sheds blocks. You've either have to scheme them to attack a gap, or keep them clean with the big guys up front. If you play them read and react and an OG gets a clean release to the second level, forget it.

It just seems like he could do more in that area than just shouldering into them, and instead using your hands more. He gets caught up in the trash more than the other guys imo. Could be just a nitpick of mine though, still think he's a great prospect.

32 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

It just seems like he could do more in that area than just shouldering into them, and instead using your hands more. He gets caught up in the trash more than the other guys imo. Could be just a nitpick of mine though, still think he's a great prospect.

Agree with this. I've got to watch more film.

Davenport is becoming really underrated in this sub forum. Beyond simply freakish strength the guy has a plethora of moves he uses so well to beat tackles and that’s something that isn’t as easy to teach as one would believe. Landry is way too reliant on his ability to fly around the edge with his bend. That isn’t a bad thing, but unless you’re Von Miller level at that which I don’t believe he is, you’re going to need more. Frankly I see Landry as a project just as Davenport is but for different reasons.

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Apparently you are missing a lot.

cmon man don't be like that. tell me what you like about him. 

honestly, i looked at him a few months ago and thought "wow this would be a nice player to get in the third round" 

now he's getting first round talk? why?

6 minutes ago, persiandud said:

cmon man don't be like that. tell me what you like about him. 

honestly, i looked at him a few months ago and thought "wow this would be a nice player to get in the third round" 

now he's getting first round talk? why?

There's a ton in this thread and others, just read through it.

Spent the night re-watching Mike Hughes since we're bringing him in for the visit. He was a guy I watched pre-Combine. Moving him above Josh Jackson. Gave him the same grade as Jaire Alexander. So much more physical, his change of direction is awesome, his t-step is the best I've seen so far. Special teams value, he strong, tough, ball skills are there, really the whole package is there. You just wish he was taller and wasn't so raw (1 year D1 starting experience).

Top 5 CBs now:

Denzel Ward

Jaire Alexander

Mike Hughes

Josh Jackson

Isaiah Oliver

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Spent the night re-watching Mike Hughes since we're bringing him in for the visit. He was a guy I watched pre-Combine. Moving him above Josh Jackson. Gave him the same grade as Jaire Alexander. So much more physical, his change of direction is awesome, his t-step is the best I've seen so far. Special teams value, he strong, tough, ball skills are there, really the whole package is there. You just wish he was taller and wasn't so raw (1 year D1 starting experience).

With the all-22 tape I have on hand. I am huge fan. I definitely put him as the 3rd best CB available. Depending on how you classify Minkah, But he has unfair advantage in my opinion because I only have American Conference all-22. But his work deep down field is just as good.  

1 minute ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

With the all-22 tape I have on hand. I am huge fan. I definitely put him as the 3rd best CB available. Depending on how you classify Minkah, But he has unfair advantage in my opinion because I only have American Conference all-22. But his work deep down field is just as good.  

Awesome, I had ACC tape the year Donald and Kyle Fuller came out because we added a triple option package to our offense at the college we were at and someone from Georgia Tech gave us all their tape. Donald was one of the most fun guys I've ever watched on tape.

I'm regulated to cutups and what I DVRd this year. Stupidly I didn't DVR USF/UCF and that's the one I want to watch most of his that I don't have.

Archived