2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Then the question becomes - what does Pettine want at ILB ? I've read where he went with only 1 and less frequently with 2 ILBs on the field

Does he want a Josh Jones type or something different ?

ILB candidates in GB for 2018 offers some variety - and that's before the draft

Martinez, Ryan, Matthews, Jones seems like a pretty decent bunch - although MM said they'll start with Jones in the Safety room and work from there

Right, that's what I'm saying. He needs an ILB who can do everything. Josh Jones hasn't played of ton at ILB. He's done some and he's been alright but I still think he can move around like how we'd use Derwin I'd assume. Matthews isn't really an ILB, he'll move all over and we have more need outside anyways. Ryan doesn't really have a feel for dropping into coverage like he needs to and like Jake, Blake hasn't been asked to do very much either. LIS, I think how Pettine views Martinez is the key to how we REALLY feel about Leighton. 

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah. I'm right there with you, but LVE offers things Ryan won't give you in coverage and he's bigger and longer than Jones is for the run. Martinez is really the guy that I think would prevent us from pulling the trigger on LVE. If Pettine isn't super high on Martinez keeping up with the responsibilities in the pass game I think he'll give him I'd bet LVE is pretty high on his wish list.

Ya I agree, Martinez made me feel better about the position more than I have been in a while.  LVE is a definite upgrade in athleticism and Coverage, I just don't think it's necessary with all of the needs in the secondary. But hey if they value the ILB more like you pointed out it makes sense.

13 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Per James Palmer, LVE has meetings lined up with every team from 12-26 except the Ravens/Rams/Chargers. Gute is definitely taking the opposite approach of TT. 

Hard to say as TT only had the 2009 draft where he was drafting really high in round 1.  Not sure what players GB brought in for workouts that year.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Hard to say as TT only had the 2009 draft where he was drafting really high in round 1.  Not sure what players GB brought in for workouts that year.  

TT used his visit allotment on later round and UDFA guys to sell them on coming to GB. Gute is lining up 1st round picks for visits. It could be a one off situation because we are drafting higher than normal or it could be a change in philosophy going forward. 

Here's a scouting report on CB Quentin Meeks of Stanford in the heart of Sam Seale's West Coast territory

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/scouting-reports/scouting-report-quenton-meeks-cornerback-stanford/

Needs work on his man coverage techniques, but that's what Whitt does best. Projected to be taken 3rd -5th

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 205lbs

40 Time: 4.49 (Pro day)

Cone Drill: 6.72   Vertical: 39″   225′ Reps: 11

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's a scouting report on CB Quentin Meeks of Stanford in the heart of Sam Seale's West Coast territory

http://www.packtothefuture.com/articles/scouting-reports/scouting-report-quenton-meeks-cornerback-stanford/

Needs work on his man coverage techniques, but that's what Whitt does best. Projected to be taken 3rd -5th

Height: 6’2″

Weight: 205lbs

40 Time: 4.49 (Pro day)

Cone Drill: 6.72   Vertical: 39″   225′ Reps: 11

I still liked him a lot when I thought he was 4.6 guy. Smart and instictual. That's a good number him.

19 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Always been a fan if Meeks myself. Like wb3 said, those are really good #s for a guy his size. Would love to see him in GB. 

Agree. Not in the 3rd. That would mean we didn’t take a CB in the first or second most likely. 

EDGE - CB or

CB - Trade up for EDGE

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Agree. Not in the 3rd. That would mean we didn’t take a CB in the first or second most likely. 

If you look at the depth chart at CB, the Packers can certainly justify grabbing 2 CB's early in the draft. Tramon is likely gone after this year so you need starters going forward at both slot and outside CB. And with a new DC, you have to give him the tools he needs to be successful

GB lost Randall, maybe Rollins, Hayward, Hyde, Shields, House and a younger Tramon over the last couple of seasons. That's a lot of talent

Last year Joe Whitt said a teams success is predicated on how well their corners and their QBs play.

10 minutes ago, Csraverage said:

Anybody think that since now the Pats have 2 late 1st round picks, that they become viable trade-up partners if someone falls given our history of trading with them?

-Just noticed thsi trade talk in the Free Agency thread, my apologies-

I'd be curious to know what our board looks like for that to happen.

Since we already have 12 picks, its not like we need more

Just now, Csraverage said:

Anybody think that since now the Pats have 2 late 1st round picks, that they become viable trade-up partners if someone falls given our history of trading with them?

I actually wouldn't hate it if it was for both their first round picks.  No way I move down in the first round when it's the highest first round pick we've had since the year after Rodgers became our starter unless we get two first round picks out of it. 

I just don't want the Patriots to stick with two first round picks.  I really, really, really want them to trade those two firsts to move up.  If they get a pass rusher at 23 and a left tackle at 31, it's like they didn't have any losses this offseason. 

Solder, Cooks, Ammendola, Butler and Lewis are all significant losses for them. 

Archived