2018 NFL Draft Discussion

squire12

Just now, incognito_man said:

If the guy has rush potential then absolutely he's worth the pick. I haven't watched him though, so I have no opinion on that. If he's a pure inside guy, I just don't see the value.

If he's a pure inside guy but has great 3-down potential, then I'd warm to it somewhat.

Honestly I'm not the guy to answer that question. I do know that before his last game against Oklahoma he had 2, yes count them 2 missed tackles supposedly on the season. Against Oklahoma I didn't think he had a very good first half to his standards but played a good 2nd half and had some important tackles late in that game when it mattered. As much as we have injuries, I think we just need to draft good football players and not necessarily worry about one guy sitting on third downs, which I honestly don't think will be a issue. Please watch the game Monday night and come away with your thoughts. I haven't watched a ton of college this year, but I did get a chance to see him and he's jumped out at me like no other player for this team. I haven't seen North Carolina State (yes embaressed) play this season so I can't even talk about Chubbs, nor will I, because until I do my homework on him I simply won't. 

Just now, cooters22 said:

Honestly I'm not the guy to answer that question. I do know that before his last game against Oklahoma he had 2, yes count them 2 missed tackles supposedly on the season. Against Oklahoma I didn't think he had a very good first half to his standards but played a good 2nd half and had some important tackles late in that game when it mattered. As much as we have injuries, I think we just need to draft good football players and not necessarily worry about one guy sitting on third downs, which I honestly don't think will be a issue. Please watch the game Monday night and come away with your thoughts. I haven't watched a ton of college this year, but I did get a chance to see him and he's jumped out at me like no other player for this team. I haven't seen North Carolina State (yes embaressed) play this season so I can't even talk about Chubbs, nor will I, because until I do my homework on him I simply won't. 

Yeah, he definitely jumped out to me last weekend. I think I even brought him up in here after he made a play :)

I didn't know much about him at that point (wasn't even sure he was in the draft, much less a 1st rounder)

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Speed at ILB is always good. everyone would like a Luke Kuechly type.

However, with Josh Jones (4.41 40 time) on the roster, I'd not go ILB  again, until he has proven he cannot handle it there. Therefore I'd re-visit the ILB position after seeing him play all next season.

Pretty sure he proved he couldn't handle it there. I think this year messed with his growth with everything he was asked to do. Great athlete but his reaction time and instincts havent ever been there.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

hm, dude did have 5.5 sacks this year...and a chunk of TFLs. I like guys who live in the backfield...

Defenseive Coordinator Mel Tucker said Roquan is the fastest linebacker hes ever coached and he coached 10 years in the nfl. 

28 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'm still in the camp that is way against an ILB at 14. Highest pick we've had in years and we spend it on, as my friend Justis says, a "trained pig". No thanks. Let's use the premium pick on premium positions.

I really think this is a dangerous way of thinking. We shouldn't pass up on top tier talent because they are not premium positions. We shouldn't disqualify guys based solely based on them not playing the most important positions.  

Just now, pollino14 said:

I really think this is a dangerous way of thinking. We shouldn't pass up on top tier talent because they are not premium positions. We shouldn't disqualify guys based solely based on them not playing the most important positions.  

Is Roquan Smith really a top tier talent though?

Just now, wgbeethree said:

Talk to me after Smith weighs in somewhere. I want to make sure he's bigger than Joe Callahan before I even bother to form any opinions on him. He looks SMALL.

That doesn't matter.  All that matters is speed.  It's why Burnett and Jones split a pro bowl this year.  They were fast. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is Roquan Smith really a top tier talent though?

No, but Quenton Nelson is, and  has already been criticized for being a guard. 

I'm just saying, if a guy like Calvin Ridley is the BPA, I'm not going to scoff at the fact he's a WR etc. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His tape? Absolutely.

Now we need to see if he's athletically in the sphere of Willis, Wagner, Kuechly, etc...

Maybe I'm missing it, but he doesn't look like a top tier talent.  A really good one, but not top tier.  He's not Luke Kuechly.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe I'm missing it, but he doesn't look like a top tier talent.  A really good one, but not top tier.  He's not Luke Kuechly.

Kuechly was top 10. Shazier and Mosley were in the 15 area. If Smith's combine goes well he may not even make to it 14. If he does, I don't see him lasting to 20.

Archived