Jaguars vs. Steelers Divisional Playoff GDT

JLambert58

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Haha....convenient argument.

I mean, You could explain why BB is a great coach without referencing his record, same with tons of other great coaches. But can you do it for Tomlin? He plays down to bad teams, he let's his players talk about a game that may not happen, his decision making in games is suspect, he has stuck with todd haley for far too long, etc.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Tomlin isnt great.   If he was a QB, Id equate him to Alex Smith......a guy who is limited, but is good enough to win you games, and you have a better chance of doing worse than him than finding an upgrade....because the cold hard reality is, there arent many great head coaches in this league.  

yeah.. this is how I feel about tomlin... he's our alex smith

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Is the defensive rebuild on a 10 year plan here? And how does the Shazier injury impact it? Will Haden be in a wheel chair when it happens?

And they fired Lebeau. How is that an excuse for what's happening here? And they didn't even bother to look outside the organization for a replacement - they just bumped up Butler.

Again, Im not excusing where the defense is at.    Im saying it would be unrealistic to expect our defense to stay what it was after losing all the pieces it did.

LeBeau's defense got stale and he couldnt really adapt.     I guess you could say the same thing about Butler, but at least he has tried some new things.

Bottom line....if they get rid of Butler, fine, but the issues with this defense is front office wide....not just a coaching issue.  

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

yeah.. this is how I feel about tomlin... he's our alex smith

its an interesting comparison to me because they're literally opposites.  Smith has almost no physical tools for the modern game, but a sharp mind, plays conservative (too much so), almost never loses the game for his team.  Tomlin has tons of physical tools (Brown, Bell, etc), a dull mind, plays too risky/aggressive, and has single handedly helped lose games for the team.  Of course Smith plays for a coach (maybe THE coach) who actually makes Tomlin look like a clock-genius.  So maybe they have that in common besides mediocrity.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Again, Im not excusing where the defense is at.    Im saying it would be unrealistic to expect our defense to stay what it was after losing all the pieces it did.

LeBeau's defense got stale and he couldnt really adapt.     I guess you could say the same thing about Butler, but at least he has tried some new things.

Bottom line....if they get rid of Butler, fine, but the issues with this defense is front office wide....not just a coaching issue.  

Beyond that, Shazier was the spark plug of our defense and the primary playmaker.  Moreover, we had zero depth behind him--an issue we knew very well going into the season.  I think this defenses collapse at the end of the season highlights the importance of Shazier was to our defense more so than it displays the incompetence of Butler

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I think our window got much smaller after losing Shazier.

Agreed 100%, really put us in a bind this year and moving forward. Hopefully he makes a full recovery to live a normal life but you can’t ignore the impact of losing a player like Shazier.

Just now, Steelers22 said:

Beyond that, Shazier was the spark plug of our defense and the primary playmaker.  Moreover, we had zero depth behind him--an issue we knew very well going into the season.  I think this defenses collapse at the end of the season highlights the importance of Shazier was to our defense more so than it displays the incompetence of Butler

Patriots lose Hightower.

They found a way.

Best move to make - trade Tomlin for some draft picks, and replace him with a potted plant. It's a lateral move at worst in terms of the head coaching position, and you give Colbert some extra ammunition. Because we know they aren't going to find a way to sign FA's.

1 minute ago, SlevinKelevra said:

"the standard is the standard. we do what we do"

someone will still defend this clown though.

Other than Belechick name me a coach without flaws and gets every call right every time. 

You cant name one. 

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Patriots lose Hightower.

They found a way.

Different roles within their respective defenses.  Shazier's athleticism covered for a lot of mistakes--he's a hell of a player.  On top of that, he's the one guy to make plays when we needed them and that's something our defense has sorely lacked.  Truly painful loss

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

remember someone saying NFL teams picking up the 3-4 blitz the steelers liked to use was hurting the steelers since guys we would pick up in round 3 or 4.. were now going in the 1st round before the steelers picked... could explain why james harrison has been the last "great find" of pass rushers for us when we used to always get productive pass rushers after round 1(gildon, porter, woodley, greg loyd etc..) now we gotta spend 1st round picks on them(watt, bud and jones)

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Best move to make - trade Tomlin for some draft picks, and replace him with a potted plant. It's a lateral move at worst in terms of the head coaching position, and you give Colbert some extra ammunition. Because we know they aren't going to find a way to sign FA's.

Colbert will find a way to screw up the picks. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Other than Belechick name me a coach without flaws and gets every call right every time. 

You cant name one. 

besides tomlin, name a coach who literally

1) attacks the pats with the same failed game plan over and over expecting a different outcome

2) regularly plays down to competition

3) gives a PRESSER bragging that he won't learn/change.

you can't name one.

here's the problem  I'm not asking for Belichick.

I'm just asking for someone who might actually give our roster a chance.

nice strawman though.

Archived