Don 'Wink' Martindale promoted to DC

diamondbull424

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just saw two silver linings with this hire of Martindale.

1) Martindale literally can’t do any worse with our defense than he did with his previous stint at Denver. He literally can only do better.

2) In Star Wars, some are fans of the Jedi. Some are fans of the grey Jedi. And some are fans of the Sith. May the reign of the sith continue. Darth Wink. He has slain his master Darth Pees and has now risen to power.

And one last aside. I don’t like this hire. And I wanted change. But since we’re not seeing change and since I’m a fan, I’d rather be happy unless proven otherwise. So I’ll give Darth Wink a chance. I remember when he was brought onto the staff years ago, a guy by the name of Vic Fangio had actually coordinated a Texans defense that went 31st in yards, 32nd in points, and 32nd in takeaways in 2005. But  in 2011, six years later, and after joining up with a Harbaugh, his defense went 4th in yards, 2nd in points, and 1st in takeaways.

So I’ll hold out hope that since his last stint and possibly because of his conversion over to the dark side, he has become stronger. I’m just going to wait and see. No use complaining about an unknown quality... as he has never yet coordinated a Ravens defense.

If you have talent, you are able to produce results almost no matter what you have to work with. Thats what scares me with the defense Darth Wink had in Denver, because as I remember, the talent wasn't worst defense in the league bad.

Ofc coaches can learn and improve, but the results usually are reflective of their ability. Darth Pees was the Jeff Fisher of DC's with a defense that never performed up to standard, but occasionaly looked the part which is why he was allowed to stay even though the results never were very good.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just saw two silver linings with this hire of Martindale.

1) Martindale literally can’t do any worse with our defense than he did with his previous stint at Denver. He literally can only do better.

2) In Star Wars, some are fans of the Jedi. Some are fans of the grey Jedi. And some are fans of the Sith. May the reign of the sith continue. Darth Wink. He has slain his master Darth Pees and has now risen to power.

And one last aside. I don’t like this hire. And I wanted change. But since we’re not seeing change and since I’m a fan, I’d rather be happy unless proven otherwise. So I’ll give Darth Wink a chance. I remember when he was brought onto the staff years ago, a guy by the name of Vic Fangio had actually coordinated a Texans defense that went 31st in yards, 32nd in points, and 32nd in takeaways in 2005. But  in 2011, six years later, and after joining up with a Harbaugh, his defense went 4th in yards, 2nd in points, and 1st in takeaways.

So I’ll hold out hope that since his last stint and possibly because of his conversion over to the dark side, he has become stronger. I’m just going to wait and see. No use complaining about an unknown quality... as he has never yet coordinated a Ravens defense.

Speaking of Darth Wink, does this forum have a way to change your username yet? Mine is suddenly not relevant.

35 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Speaking of Darth Wink, does this forum have a way to change your username yet? Mine is suddenly not relevant.

Honestly this was my second thought after the Pees firing. But I suppose if someone had the name WideLeftCundiff, does that name ever truly lose its relevance?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So, with 1 game to go we lead the league in pretty much every significant category except for turnovers.

Man, looking back at most of these responses is hilarious 😂

Yet i guarantee if Wink leaves for a HCing gig, people will completely ignore this amazingly successful decision/promotion when looking back at Harbaugh when they say "but he sucked at hiring coordinators!!!!"

He does hire/promote good coordinators. It's just that most of them leave to be head coaches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

So, with 1 game to go we lead the league in pretty much every significant category except for turnovers.

Yet i guarantee if Wink leaves for a HCing gig, people will completely ignore this amazingly successful decision/promotion when looking back at Harbaugh when they say "but he sucked at hiring coordinators!!!!"

He does hire/promote good coordinators. It's just that most of them leave to be head coaches.

FWIW, I was optimistic about the hire (promotion) based on the comments Harbaugh made when he announced it (specifically his constant mention of how much he liked Wink's aggressive style, which he directly mentioned as a critique of the team under Pees on numerous occasions).  Apparently not in this thread, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Still one game left. If we end the season on another low note, is there any real difference between him and Pees? We led the league in most categories under Pees as well.

13 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Still one game left. If we end the season on another low note, is there any real difference between him and Pees? We led the league in most categories under Pees as well.

Absolutely there'd be a difference. We've already seen this year that 

A.) This defense has played BETTER than last against muuuuuuch better QBs this year. 

B.) Our pass rush doesn't completely disappear for quarters of the season at a time.

C.) We are much more willing to rotate bodies than years past

and most importantly

D.) This defense has already proved they can hold on to a lead several times this year. One lead given up in week 17 wouldn't compare at all to the speed defenses that were good for that like 5-6 times a year at best

31 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Absolutely there'd be a difference. We've already seen this year that 

A.) This defense has played BETTER than last against muuuuuuch better QBs this year. 

We've been shredded by various QB's this year, including Mahomes and Mayfield. We had one good game against Rivers, though.

B.) Our pass rush doesn't completely disappear for quarters of the season at a time.

Uhhhhh yeah it definitely did? There was a stretch of games after the Tennessee game where it was completely invisible.

C.) We are much more willing to rotate bodies than years past

Are we? Snap counts say otherwise.

and most importantly

D.) This defense has already proved they can hold on to a lead several times this year. One lead given up in week 17 wouldn't compare at all to the speed defenses that were good for that like 5-6 times a year at best

And we've also shown we can blow late leads in the exact same way, like in KC.

TBH I don't see much difference this year vs. last year except players are playing better and we're healthier. 

23 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We've been shredded by various QB's this year, including Mahomes and Mayfield. We had one good game against Rivers, though.

Uhhhhh yeah it definitely did? There was a stretch of games after the Tennessee game where it was completely invisible.

Are we? Snap counts say otherwise.

And we've also shown we can blow late leads in the exact same way, like in KC.

TBH I don't see much difference this year vs. last year except players are playing better and we're healthier. 

We've played 6 of the top 10 scoring offenses in the league...including the Saints, Chiefs, and Steelers twice. We're holding teams to an average of 8 points LESS than what they've scored against the rest of their schedule.

It seems to me that you've already predetermined that this defense will be the same as last year's (you have since Wink was hired, honestly) and instead of actually watching what's going on right in front of your eyes and adjusting your perception to the realities of this season accordingly, you're just doubling down and waiting for 1-2 instances throughout the season to prove your original (and wrong) perception of the 2018 Baltimore Ravens defense. 

Which is fine, but that's a miserable way to go through a football season as a fan of a team. 

"Yeah we're doing all of these things  much better this year than last year through 95% of the season....but what if they don't at some point!".

Do you man, lol

22 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

We've played 6 of the top 10 scoring offenses in the league...including the Saints, Chiefs, and Steelers twice. We're holding teams to an average of 8 points LESS than what they've scored against the rest of their schedule.

It seems to me that you've already predetermined that this defense will be the same as last year's (you have since Wink was hired, honestly) and instead of actually watching what's going on right in front of your eyes and adjusting your perception to the realities of this season accordingly, you're just doubling down and waiting for 1-2 instances throughout the season to prove your original (and wrong) perception of the 2018 Baltimore Ravens defense. 

Which is fine, but that's a miserable way to go through a football season as a fan of a team. 

"Yeah we're doing all of these things  much better this year than last year through 95% of the season....but what if they don't at some point!".

Do you man, lol

This is what he does in every single topic. How can you be surprised? Tim Williams could be a non factor and a liability in an entire game, and the guy would pounce on his point that one time Tim Williams got a sack. Its what he does.

• Like 1