Dez Bryant: Keep, Release or Trade?

Super4

Trade or Release Dez Bryant?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Trade or Release Dez Bryant?

• Yes, it's his time to go.
    • No, he's still valueable.
    • Not yet; find his replacement.

Bryant is not only become an unreliable target compared to his 2014 compaign, but he is also ridiculously expensive.  His cap hit this season was $17 million and his cap hit in 2018 will be around $16.5 million.  2018 is also the year that Dez hits that magical 30 and will be a potential free agent after that season.  Do the Cowboys need to get something for Dez now?  For a while, we could live with his emotional blow-up games every now and then but now he is actually detracting from what is a pretty sound offense.

The main issue I see is not having a reliable #1 waiting behind him.  I do like Butler, but even in Dez's poor play he's still attracting double coverages and that's something Butler isn't going to attract.  The body-catcher isn't terrifying defenses either, and while I expect a breakout year from Switzer, let's be real -  he isn't going to either.  The Cowboys did however get rid of DeMarcus Ware after a declined 6 sack season on a bloated contract after years and years of restructures (based on performance), while also releasing Hatcher who had 8 sacks that year and didn't have anyone behind them that made us go... "He's the replacement."

The fact is that, he does things well enough to warrant keeping him, but he's not looking to restructure and believes he's worth the money.  So do we wait for pre or post June 1st cuts, trade him, or just bite the contract bullet and keep him?

Thoughts?

Money doesn't fit production, but much like others on offense, I don't think it's a talent or diminished skills thing, it's a scheme thing. 

Would be nice if he renegotiates, but I'm not sure that happens. Regardless, I think it's best he stays. It's a guarantee he goes elsewhere and he goes back to being an 90/1200/12 guy.

I’m torn on the issue. When he is good, he is really good. But it’s been forever since he has produced like a true #1WR. I also believe it’s a scheme issue (all though his drops he needs to own). I think if we get a true talented speedy WR like Ridley, you’ll see coverage more spread out and put Dez in better match ups. 

His route tree is really bad.  Like I didn't start breaking down the film on it until I saw Cris Carter talking about it alot this year, and it's really not good.  He's got 3 routes he runs very well, and the rest or subpar.  Outisde of that, he's a 50/50 jumpball guy who, doesn't win most of his 50/50 balls anymore.  I'd love to keep him if hwe can restructure his deal, but I'd pay him far less than what I think he'd be willign to accept.  I do agree the scheme doesn't help his strengths; he's more Romo than Dak friendly... but he's just been downright awful for the money.

I'd almost rather take a chance on a guy like Sammy Watkins or Gabriel.  They would command far less money on a 1-2 yr "prove-it" deal, and let Bryant go to a trade to get "something" back.

I'd like to add a legit Z receiver to take some pressure off him and see if it helps, like @textaz03 mentioned. If we don't touch his contract, I'd hang onto him one more year and move on in 2019 unless there's substantial improvement. I read an article somewhere that suggested an extension, so Dez can retire a Cowboy and we can add a couple of years to relieve some of the cap stress that he has on the team for the next couple of years. It's different than a pure restructure, so it shouldn't completely mortgage the future and be easier to get out of.

I voted it’s time for him to go but he won’t be going anywhere. He virtually has zero value to another team. His numbers and his contract make him impossible to trade. He can surely restructure but he supposedly isn’t up for that. His attitude on the sidelines is what makes me think it’s time to off load him but with 2 years(?) left on his contract I don’t see it. You can’t have that type of attitude when you don’t show up and produce. Then when your number is called you fail. All around a bad contract for a declining player. He’ll most likely ride his contract out or until next year and we’ll do it then

I still think he can be a good WR.  I am willing to give him another chance.  If things continue to go south, it is more palatable financially to cut him next year.  Hopefully, we use an early draft pick at WR to help Dez out this year and to provide some cover should we decide to move on.  Right now, we have no one who can remotely fill the shoes of a #1 WR and Dak will need at least one reliable target as he continues to try and progress as a passer.

1 minute ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Dak will need at least one reliable target as he continues to try and progress as a passer.

Is he that reliable though?  I'd argue Beasley, Witten and even Williams have been more reliable.  The numbers might not indicate that, but the value per target surely does.

1 minute ago, Super4 said:

Is he that reliable though?  I'd argue Beasley, Witten and even Williams have been more reliable.  The numbers might not indicate that, but the value per target surely does.

Last year, he was not reliable for sure.  But those three even at their best can't give Dak a legit #1 target that opposing teams have to be very concerned about. If Dez can rebound somewhat, he is the only one currently on the roster with the overall talent to be that kind of target for Dak.  Either way, I am hoping for a WR in Round 1 or 2 to help remedy the situation and provide a potential successor to Dez should he not get back to the top of his game.

As bad as Dez has been this is not the year to move on.

We should draft a receiver this year and develop them while having Dez. If Dez bounces back then we have 2 legit receivers if not then the cap numbers make more sense to release him next year.

6 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Last year, he was not reliable for sure.  But those three even at their best can't give Dak a legit #1 target that opposing teams have to be very concerned about. If Dez can rebound somewhat, he is the only one currently on the roster with the overall talent to be that kind of target for Dak.  Either way, I am hoping for a WR in Round 1 or 2 to help remedy the situation and provide a potential successor to Dez should he not get back to the top of his game.

I'd love to land one of these TEs in this draft. Give us a Gronk-type player to utilize, but....9_9

3 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'd love to land one of these TEs in this draft. Give us a Gronk-type player to utilize, but....9_9

Eifert is likely to come cheaper than expected, and I'd love to take him instead.  Either way, I'm right there with you with wanting a reliable, play-making TE.

31 minutes ago, Super4 said:

Eifert is likely to come cheaper than expected, and I'd love to take him instead.  Either way, I'm right there with you with wanting a reliable, play-making TE.

He never really became the player I thought he'd be...wouldn't mind taking a chance on him but would prefer a drafted dude...like Goedert.

But Witten's here still...and the staff seems hesitant for whatever reason to try and add serious competition. 

Archived