Trade or Release Dez Bryant?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Trade or Release Dez Bryant?

• Yes, it's his time to go.
    • No, he's still valueable.
    • Not yet; find his replacement.

16 hours ago, DaBoys said:

So TWill's our #1 next year. Superbowl!

Go get Landry.  In my honest opinion, he is an absolute perfect fit for the kind of system we run and is very Dak friendly.  Eat the cap hit from a trade or release on Dez and go sign Landry.  He's coming into his prime right now, and already averages 100+ catches a year.  

Should we look for a deep threat, yes, but as a situational player. We don't need Julio Jones to make this offense work. We proved that in 2016. What we need is enough consistency in simply completing passes and moving the chains just to make it a viable threat while Zeke does his thing. We have proven we can be one of the best offenses in football as long as that is true.

Landry fills that requirement perfectly.

1 hour ago, Super4 said:

Go get Landry.  In my honest opinion, he is an absolute perfect fit for the kind of system we run and is very Dak friendly.  Eat the cap hit from a trade or release on Dez and go sign Landry.  He's coming into his prime right now, and already averages 100+ catches a year.  

Should we look for a deep threat, yes, but as a situational player. We don't need Julio Jones to make this offense work. We proved that in 2016. What we need is enough consistency in simply completing passes and moving the chains just to make it a viable threat while Zeke does his thing. We have proven we can be one of the best offenses in football as long as that is true.

Landry fills that requirement perfectly.

One of my boys is a big Dolphins fan (don't know how that happened) and he loves Landry.  I've been teasing him that Landry would be a great fit for Dallas and as you put it would be very Dak friendly.  I'm on board with going after him.  I think his presence would open things up for others.

There is absolutely no justification for not having Dez on the team next year. Absolutely none. Glad to see some sanity in this thread. The sports media is as mind numbingly stupid as ever. 

Also, even the whole supposed issue of Dez’s “antics” on the sidelines is extremely overblown and ridiculous. It was never actually a big deal at any point this season. I mean really, what was the extent? He looked a little sulky on the side lines at very brief periods of times? People act like he was blowing up on the sidelines and it never, ever even happened. And either way, it wasn’t even a common occurrence at all. It wasn’t really even being talked about this season until Joe Buck and Aikman made a huge deal about absolutely nothing and everyone (especially the media) bought into it because of course they did.

To me, it seems like Steven is playing a game with his latest comments. Before now, all he and anyone ever did was deny Dez being a distraction and they called all of this a non issue. But now that there is potentially money to be saved the opposite card gets played? Please.

Cutting Dez saves this team $8.5M in 2018 and $25M over ‘18-19. He hasn’t had 1000 yards or 10 TDs in a season since signing his current contract. Three years of that level of nonproductivity is just too many no matter the circumstances. It’s not like he’s going to get healthier or more explosive at 30- a little more aggressive fighting for slants, maybe. I think him leading the league in drops was a fluke but there were more non-Dak-related issues with his performance than that.

Everyone agrees he doesn’t have enough help opposite him, but the fact is that targeting him 9 times a game actively hurt the team in 2017 and it’s hard to be sure that a better option at Z changes that. If he needs to essentially be the #2 to regain effectiveness, which I think he does, why are you paying $12.5M/yr for that? Using that $ to improve the roster depth and doubling down on a run game + defense identity absolutely makes sense.

What’s not justifiable is if you cut Dez, don’t go get Earl Thomas, and trade/let go of Irving, and Stephen Jones goes on to publicly state that getting Martin and Lawrence locked up was the priority and anything substantial beyond that precluded them from signing those two. If all of that happens and our biggest outside acquisition is some Cedric Thornton or Nolan Carroll equivalent, we have the right to call bull****, because you absolutely do not need that extra $25M from Dez to lock down Martin and Lawrence.

23 hours ago, matt79511 said:

What’s not justifiable is if you cut Dez, don’t go get Earl Thomas, and trade/let go of Irving, and Stephen Jones goes on to publicly state that getting Martin and Lawrence locked up was the priority and anything substantial beyond that precluded them from signing those two. If all of that happens and our biggest outside acquisition is some Cedric Thornton or Nolan Carroll equivalent, we have the right to call bull****, because you absolutely do not need that extra $25M from Dez to lock down Martin and Lawrence.

Right, which is why you go out and get yourself a Jarvis Landry who, by all accounts is the most Dak friendly receiver in the league (not named OBJ or Mike Walliams) in my opinion.  Sure up Irving and Lawrence, and then let ET3 come to you in FA at the end of the year.

I think Dez is in a Cowboys uniform next year.  Sure Steven Jones is posturing for a restructuring of a contract.  And, rightfully so, whether or not Dez was still performing big.  It's the right time to start looking at that anyway...3 years after his 5 year deal was signed.  Restructure and save some cap space this year while pushing it over a longer time period and due to a lack of productivity, they will get Dez for less money per year.

This quote from Steven Jones tells me that Dez will be here:

"When Dak came in, he certainly is not going to play the game exactly like Tony played the game. I think it hasn’t ever just hit on all cylinders yet in term of how the Dak-and-Dez the connection works. I think it’s a work in progress. I think it could improve if given the opportunity."

Hopefully the Cowboy's can see that there is plenty of blame to go around for the fall off for Dez.

Dez

- Dez is a tad slower than he used to be.  But, he never was a "speed" guy.  He needs to work on his craft and fine tune his routes.  He's still a physically gifted strong powerful WR who can out muscle defenders for the ball and run strong after the catch.  He needs to work with Dak on timing and work with coaches on perfecting himself.  He's always dropped some balls, even when he was lighting up the league.  The dropped balls are just more obvious now because he hasn't put up the big statistical seasons.  It would be great to see him shore that up though.

Dak

- Dak isn't the QB Romo was.  We all know that.  He's a talented young man who also needs to realize that many of his targets to Dez have missed.  That's on Dak.  He needs to work on his timing with Dez.  He also needs to work on the non-verbal communication that happens on the football field to fit with what Dez does (as well as the other way around).  The two of them aren't on the same page.  Dez will beat a guy one way on a deep ball and have to fight back through the defender because the ball was thrown to the wrong shoulder.  That's on Dak and the two of them can fix that this off season...hopefully.

Coaching Staff

- The staff needs to put things on their shoulders as well.  They haven't utilized Dez the right way and they haven't worked with Dak and Dez to get their QB and star WR working well together.  That falls on their shoulders as well.

With all of that said, I predict a Dez restructuring and extension.  I could still see Dez making $8+ million this year and extended for a couple years on his deal.  But, the contract should be incentive laden and Dak and Dez should spend some time together this off season on their own to get the most out of their relationship.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again... Dez and Dak will probably never get on the same page.  Dak excels with a certain type of receiver who has the ability to flash open and gives him a clear window.  Dak is not comfortable with back shoulder throws, jump balls and 50/50 passes.  If Dak’s choices are back shoulder to Dez or slant to Williams, he’s going to throw the slant.  

Heres the thing... Dak cares about ball security and rightfully so.  He’s at his best when he’s methodically moving the chains and not looking for big chunk yards.  Dak’s digressions last year came from teams willingly leaving Dez 1 on 1 because Dak isn’t comfortable going there anyway which allowed teams to give more attention to Beas and Witten where Dak is comfortable throwing.  

There are 2 WR that are FAs who I think Dak would love to play with... Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins.  

The sad thing is that Dez was, at one point, amongst the best WRs ever at slants, in terms of catch rate, passer rating when targeted, etc. A lot of that was Romo's surgical precision at that phase of their careers, but Dez was great at making dudes that played off him pay for it, coming down with the ball in tight spaces between zones, that sort of thing. We still saw this some in 2016 in games like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Detroit.

But Sturm's breakdown of his drops this year, nearly all of which came from the Atlanta game onward, painted a picture of a guy that was either washed, checked out, or both. He noticeably struggled with the increased defensive attention in Zeke's absence and alligator-armed constant passes over the middle. I don't think he's finished physically or mentally, but I can see why the team would be done with him after all that. They needed someone on offense to step up in the second half and their highest compensated player did just the opposite. Not sure an extension to ease his cap hit sends the right message.

19 hours ago, Super4 said:

Honestly not that bad of an idea, if Seattle would do it.

I agree.    Salaries would work out strictly trade-wise.   Dez would have a better qb to get him the ball, and Doug Baldwin on the other side.  Byron Jones can be moved to CB.   Make it happen.

58 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

There are 2 WR that are FAs who I think Dak would love to play with... Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins.  

I've been saying this non-stop.  If the bolded happens, I'm calling an NFCCG appearance.

If we want to predict a trade situation for Dez, I think you have to look for a team with a lot of cap space with a star QB and a lack of WR's.  

You know who fits that?  The Colts or the 49ers.

Both teams have plenty of space and have their QB's of the future and could use a clear #1 weapon in the passing game.  Just a thought.

I still don't think Dez will wear anything but a Star this year though.

Archived