Cowboys Draft Links and Meetings Thread

flyingmonkey30

6 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'd go for Hernandez at 19 anyday over Vander esch. I care about value not much about sexiness. To be quite honest we could use from work on the value picking in our draft over the years. Or any other top offensive lineman.

Even if our only proven LB is Lee who can only stay on the field half the time? I would say with the signing of Fleming. LVE I think should be our top target. Him or Edmunds. 

Edmunds is probably going in the top 10 picks just like Derwin James we will have to give up way too much to get players of their caliber teams are holding other teams for ransom to trade up anymore in the draft they expect a boat load of picks just to move up 5 picks they know that some teams are desperate to get that player that they covet. With the Cowboy's philosophy of running the football I wouldn't be surprised if they target Wynn or Hernandez @ 19 knowing that they would get a day 1 starter and if the signing of Fleming goes through and they move Collins back to LG at least they have an insurance policy in having a very good quality depth player to step in any time. This years draft class has a lot of excellent linebackers coming out so they could get a very good linebacker anywhere in this draft. So could safety or CB help be a target @ 19 who knows there are good quality players in portion of the draft .

Our "philosophy of running the ball," is wayyy overblown. Dak was top 10 in the league in passing attempts most of the year, and finished league average. Scott Linehan is a pass first coach and always will be. You see it when the game is close, or the situation is dire. 

We have been hammering WR in the draft and FA.  And it looks like Linehan is in full control. I think Dez is on the hotseat for simply pointing out the obvious during an interview. Did he, Bease, and TWill all regress at the same time? Or is it likely something else? I don't think Linehan liked that comment. I highly highly doubt the cowboys spend a 1st round pick on a 340 pound run blocking OG. I would expect them to come out throwing the ball a lot in 2018. That's what SL does.

I'd be willing to make a wager that Dak is in the top 10 in passing attempts next year. It's full Scott Linehan mode.

We ran the ball on a higher percentage of plays than all but two teams in the league last year.

If Dak is Top 10 in pass attempts, it’s just based on a volume-based style of offense where we try to run as many plays as possible to protect the defense (which doesn’t really hold up in practice, but it’s the objective) and Dak’s own durability. Those aren’t bad things

17 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

We ran the ball on a higher percentage of plays than all but two teams in the league last year.

If Dak is Top 10 in pass attempts, it’s just based on a volume-based style of offense where we try to run as many plays as possible to protect the defense (which doesn’t really hold up in practice, but it’s the objective) and Dak’s own durability. Those aren’t bad things

Yet... How many WRs are we visiting with and how many run blocking interior OL are we? Were we after Sammy Watkins in FA or was it Andrew Norwell? When our season was on the line against Seattle were we berated for running to much inside the 5 or was it that we inexplicably passed the ball to much? What is it about Scott Linehans' history makes you think he is willing or capable of designing the best run game in the league? What do you think Scott Linehan is going to try to fix during an off season? What part of our offense do you think Scott Linehan is even qualified to fix? The passing game. And what does it look like we are working on so far? 

Just now, DaBoys said:

Yet... How many WRs are we visiting with and how many run blocking interior OL are we? Were we after Sammy Watkins in FA or was it Andrew Norwell? When our season was on the line against Seattle were we berated for running to much inside the 5 or was it that we inexplicably passed the ball to much? What is it about Scott Linehans' history makes you think he is willing or capable of designing the best run game in the league? What do you think Scott Linehan is going to try to fix during an off season? What part of our offense do you think Scott Linehan is even qualified to fix? The passing game. And what does it look like we are working on so far? 

How many OLs have we drafted in the Top 100 since hiring Linehan in 2014? How many WRs? At which position do we currently have less talent relative to league average?

I get the frustrations, but you don’t have to distort facts to fulfill your hate boner. The Cowboys finished 29th in the league in pass attempts in 2017 despite trailing by multiple scores for long stretches of several games. Dak ranking higher than 29th amongst his peers in the stat is largely a function of his health- something we should celebrate, not chastise.

The current WR obsession is in large part a function of necessity, as our players proved wholly incapable of creating on their own last year when no longer buoyed by a dominant run game. I would not think that that rules out drafting another offensive lineman early nor Zeke leading the league in every major rushing statistic in 2018. Those aren’t mutually exclusive. If anything, I think we should be asking ourselves what our Achilles heel on defense will be this time.

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

How many OLs have we drafted in the Top 100 since hiring Linehan in 2014? How many WRs? At which position do we currently have less talent relative to league average?

I get the frustrations, but you don’t have to distort facts to fulfill your hate boner. 

Saying that Dak finished league average in passing attempts is not distorting facts. He finished 16th. That's math

11 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I'd go for Hernandez at 19 anyday over Vander esch. I care about value not much about sexiness. To be quite honest we could use from work on the value picking in our draft over the years. Or any other top offensive lineman.

I think Vander Esch presents plenty of value at 19. In my opinion, he’s a plug-and-play starter at LB, just like Smith and Edmunds, who will be selected before Vander Esch.

41 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think Vander Esch presents plenty of value at 19. In my opinion, he’s a plug-and-play starter at LB, just like Smith and Edmunds, who will be selected before Vander Esch.

I think this offseason has highlighted LB as our biggest need.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

I think this offseason has highlighted LB as our biggest need.

I agree. I still think LG could improve, and if they move Collins then RT needs work.  I just don't think the staff views it as much of a need now with Fleming, Green, and the other guy we just signed.

I think we are set at WR. If we want to talk about league average, who's WR corp runs as deep as ours right now?

1. Dez

2. Hurns

3. Twill

4. Beasley

5. Switzer

6. Thompson 

7. Noah

Let's name other teams 5th WR and see how many of them would be considered better than Switzer. How many teams 4th WRs are better than Cole Beasley? Our 6th WR who may not even dress for the game had nearly 500 yards last year. I doubt we start this season this loaded, as I'm sure someone gets cut/moved for $ purposes, but WR is arguably our most stacked position right now. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Also safety. We've done nothing there but move Byron away. 

There are some nice safety prospects. The other Edmund's who plays safety for VT who is brother to the top 10 pick. He has a very nice skill set. He lacks it up stairs so definitely not a plug and play starter. But he is worth the development. Justin Reid is a big ones as is my sleeper safety prospect. Tony Brown CB from Bama who I think would make one hell of a centerfielder. 

Linehan couldn't adjust to the passing game last year when the offensive line wasn't gelling together and when Elliott finally was suspended he didn't have any answers then. Even when we were in these games he couldn't find a way to create diversions for opposing defenses it was always the same vanilla passing game. If Bryant wasn't one of the players at fault for under achieving then why did he hire a receiving Guru to help him learn more than 3 routes. The Cowboys have been showing that the last few seasons that players will be held accountable for under achieving contracts as last year they recreated a whole new secondary. Bravo because it's us fans that pay these contracts and we all know that we have to be accountable in our every day jobs or hit the highway. With the new receivers coming to the Cowboys I feel the Cowboys are going to either revamp the linebackers or defensive line positions in this draft as they are both heavily talented this year.  

Archived