Cowboys Draft Links and Meetings Thread

flyingmonkey30

16 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Yep, I can see it now. Trade up for Fitzpatrick and then have no idea where to play him.

More or less I was about to say.

We took Zeke at least in part due to Urban Meyer describing him as "the best player I've ever coached". Y'all ever read any Nick Saban quotes on Minkah Fitzpatrick? Minkah might as well be his adopted son.

Take a LB, DE, DT, TE, WR, OL but P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!!! do not take another frickin DB!!!!!!!!!!! That approach has kept us in mired in mediocrity for over 2 damn decades! You simply will not build a shut down secondary without a front 4 that can consistently get pressure. No way, not happening.

36 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Take a LB, DE, DT, TE, WR, OL but P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!!! do not take another frickin DB!!!!!!!!!!! That approach has kept us in mired in mediocrity for over 2 damn decades! You simply will not build a shut down secondary without a front 4 that can consistently get pressure. No way, not happening.

Morris Claiborne (1)
JJ Wilcox (3)
Byron Jones (1)
Chidobe Awuzie (2)
Jourdan Lewis (3)

Since 2010, we have drafted five DBs with "premium" picks. Two in the first round, two in the third, one in the second. I agree that a quality pass rush helps the secondary, but I've never been of the belief that you can throw Joe Blow out there with a top notch pass rush and be successful. Maybe I'm wrong, but five picks out of 21 doesn't seem absurd, especially when you run out 4-6 DBs every possession in a league that passes more now than ever. There are some drafting philosophies that have plagued us over the years, but I'm not so sure this is one of them.

Archived