Cowboys Draft Links and Meetings Thread

flyingmonkey30

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I doubt this team looks to the O-Line in the early rounds now. That OT from NE they signed is a.perfect fit at Guard for the way they run the blocking scheme. And he provides great depth at OT. Combine that with that Martin cat at guard, who can play any of the 3 spots inside and has the footwork to fit our style as well, and I doubt OL is even a top 5 priority for this FO.

Hurns was a great signing, but those three pickups on the OL were sneaky in how great they were.

I'd still like to address OG in the first four rounds, personally.

Anyone else thinking more and more it is highly unlikely Dallas stays put at 19? Im thinkong up or down are far more likely than staying at 19, and up far more likely than down.

Two linebackers that fit perfectly, a safety that looks like the football gods created him for this system and this team, and two receivers that could easily be the next great tandem with Prescott. All could easily be gone by 19. And I dont see this FO being okay with settling for the 'best of the rest' in a year where mediocrity just is not going to cut it.

Just now, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'd still like to address OG in the first four rounds, personally.

Id be fine with it, but I dont see how it could slide into the first two rounds after those signings. Possibly could if those two backers, James, and their receiver of choice/value are gone but Wynn sits there ready to go. But I dont see them just settling this year. They are going to move that 19 pick.

21 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Guess we aren't trading up then

Id be willing to bet the team moves up. Might be 2 or 3 spots, or 10 spots, but im almost certain they dont hold tight at 19. Not with 10 tradeable picks, not after 9-7, not with this D on the verge of becoming something that, for the first time in a long time, actually helps win games.

That said, if there isnt a deal to be made that makes sense, moving out of the first also makes good sense. 

52 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Id be fine with it, but I dont see how it could slide into the first two rounds after those signings. Possibly could if those two backers, James, and their receiver of choice/value are gone but Wynn sits there ready to go. But I dont see them just settling this year. They are going to move that 19 pick.

Personally, I view those signing as improving the depth. I don't see one of those guys starting 16 games next year. And if they do, I'd be worried about it.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Just checked, he's from Vegas, so unless he's training in Dallas (he may be), I don't think he can visit when he pleases.

there was pictures with him and Tyron Smith circulating. They share an agent and I'm sure they know the kid and prob felt a visit was not necessary

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Id be willing to bet the team moves up. Might be 2 or 3 spots, or 10 spots, but im almost certain they dont hold tight at 19. Not with 10 tradeable picks, not after 9-7, not with this D on the verge of becoming something that, for the first time in a long time, actually helps win games.

That said, if there isnt a deal to be made that makes sense, moving out of the first also makes good sense. 

with ten picks this team moves up... May be the second similar to the Demarcus trade but I believe they move up

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Personally, I view those signing as improving the depth. I don't see one of those guys starting 16 games next year. And if they do, I'd be worried about it.

Ive watched a lot of Fleming the last few days. He has the footwork and the hands on the move that this team covets inside in this blocking scheme. I think, if they play him at Guard, he will be the best signing of our offseason - even ahead of Hurns. Sneakily an amazing signing. Even if he doesnt play out his time here at Guard, he is easily one of the best backup OTs in the league.

And Martin, by no means, is a solution - but he is a good fit. 

A quality draftee would be nice, but with those two now here, I just dont see it as taking priority if a quality player for another spot is still available.

59 minutes ago, couchscout said:

with ten picks this team moves up... May be the second similar to the Demarcus trade but I believe they move up

I could see them moving up in the first for one of four guys:

Derwin James - The ideal centerpiece in this cover 1 robber defense we have played on.forst and second down for three years now. 

Calvin Ridley - A playmaker who can score from anywhere in several different ways, the kind of receiver the team has lacked.

Tremaine Edmunds - The ball skills of a decent DB and the runner tracking ability of a damn good linebacker. The kind of LB this team has tried to draft several times and missed out on (Shazier, Thompson, Mosley)

Roquan - A hunter who can play back in coverage and has a knack for finding the ball in traffic. As with Edmunds, the kind of guy we have barely missed out on before but were trying to pick.

But, keepimg eith your theory of an early second trade up (which makes sense) you can add in a few others to that bracket -

Arden Key - Easily could slide out of the first with the questions anout him, but has the ability to be a fiercely disruptive player on the edge

Isaiah Wynn - Likely to go in the first round, but also could slide due to.positional value and the value of other positions. He wouldnt fit the teams ideal mold of a guard in this system, but he would be an opening day starter with the potential to be an immediate upgrade on the OL.

Isaiah Oliver - Likely slides only due to depth at other positions, but is a competive corner who could enable Brown to be the fourth corner - a better fit for what he is and an upgrade on a much improving unit.

Courtland Sutton - Though the Pats trading Cooks to the Rams likely means Sutton is a Patriot IMO, if he does fall, the Cowboys would be all over him in the early second.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I could see them moving up in the first for one of four guys:

Derwin James - The ideal centerpiece in this cover 1 robber defense we have played on.forst and second down for three years now. 

Calvin Ridley - A playmaker who can score from anywhere in several different ways, the kind of receiver the team has lacked.

Tremaine Edmunds - The ball skills of a decent DB and the runner tracking ability of a damn good linebacker. The kind of LB this team has tried to draft several times and missed out on (Shazier, Thompson, Mosley)

Roquan - A hunter who can play back in coverage and has a knack for finding the ball in traffic. As with Edmunds, the kind of guy we have barely missed out on before but were trying to pick.

But, keepimg eith your theory of an early second trade up (which makes sense) you can add in a few others to that bracket -

Arden Key - Easily could slide out of the first with the questions anout him, but has the ability to be a fiercely disruptive player on the edge

Isaiah Wynn - Likely to go in the first round, but also could slide due to.positional value and the value of other positions. He wouldnt fit the teams ideal mold of a guard in this system, but he would be an opening day starter with the potential to be an immediate upgrade on the OL.

Isaiah Oliver - Likely slides only due to depth at other positions, but is a competive corner who could enable Brown to be the fourth corner - a better fit for what he is and an upgrade on a much improving unit.

Courtland Sutton - Though the Pats trading Cooks to the Rams likely means Sutton is a Patriot IMO, if he does fall, the Cowboys would be all over him in the early second.

in the first Fitzpatrick, James, or Smith

round 2 LVE Hernandez Wynn Daniels Evans

give me a WR/DT round 3/4 as I like the depth in this draft

my pet cat for round 2 is Jessie Bates but I prefer get him at 50

6 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Anyone else thinking more and more it is highly unlikely Dallas stays put at 19? Im thinkong up or down are far more likely than staying at 19, and up far more likely than down.

Two linebackers that fit perfectly, a safety that looks like the football gods created him for this system and this team, and two receivers that could easily be the next great tandem with Prescott. All could easily be gone by 19. And I dont see this FO being okay with settling for the 'best of the rest' in a year where mediocrity just is not going to cut it.

Barring a blatant mutiny from the players, as long as Jerry Jones owns this team, mediocrity will always be acceptable.

5 hours ago, couchscout said:

in the first Fitzpatrick, James, or Smith

round 2 LVE Hernandez Wynn Daniels Evans

give me a WR/DT round 3/4 as I like the depth in this draft

my pet cat for round 2 is Jessie Bates but I prefer get him at 50

Minkah will go far too high for the team to make a realistic move on him. Plus, James is the far better fit ... and I think he will go later than the common prediction of 8ish. Not because of talent but because of fit. He is a very niche oriented safety. Most teams in that 8-13 range plan to play a lot of cover 2, cover 3 or play their safety over in man coverages, James is not going to be that kinda guy. He will slide a tiny bit, and once he hits that 11, 12, 13 range if there arent any takers, Dallas could easily pounce on him with their 1st and 2nd and likely a mid rounder, a 5th maybe.

A bit pricey regardless of what it would tske, but man, James is the best fit for what this team is lacking at safety. He is sculpted perfectly to play a robber, and would truly be that.missing piece of the defense. If Im Jerry/Stephen/McClay/JG, I'm giving up anything needed to go get him. 

Re: LVE - i could see Dallas liking him quite a bit as a late first/early second. Good scheme fit. Quality ball tracker. But Im not a fan personally. I wouldnt object, but if he is the Bpa in terms of need meeting opportunity, im trading back or digging a little deeper down the draft board. I see good player in LVE, but I dont see a special defender. And im not settling on just a good player because I need their position...im trying to find something that can be special, now or later, preferably now, but laters fine too. That is, if Im the FO.

Settling on a good defender at a role we needed over digging deeper and being creative with positions for hopes of special is how we got Byron and Taco instead of Landon Collins and TJ Watt. We needed a cover guy (Byron over Landon because Landon was more the box/robber DB amd we needed a coverage type, at corner or safety) and didnt dig deeper. We needed a speedy edge rusher (Taco over Watt because Watt is more of a two point attacker not an edge speedy pass rusher) and didnt dig deeper. And each time we got the lesser player. I think the lesson, at least i hope the lesson, has been learned by the FO.

Of the 20 players confirmed for official 30 visits so far, 5 have been OLs, 6 have been WRs, 7 have been Front 7- only 2 "others" (S Deshon Elliott and RB Naheim Hines) so far.

As usual, we're being fairly forthcoming about our priorities, and I would be pretty surprised if we didn't take an OL early. Even if they move La'el back to LG, they still need an OT to compete with Fleming and kick Chaz Green to the curb.

What really frustrates me is the cost of winning our last game in Philly this prior year screws us on the draft side.  I fully get that you plan to win all the games, but damn, would be a lot nice to get 5-6 spots (or whatever it is) better in the draft this year. 

Archived