2018 Free Agency

turtle28

4 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

you're right! With the current rules we need to make him an offer of the the highest paid QB guaranteed. If he leaves, he leaves and we get a third round pick. And we learn how Allen screwed the pooch on this negotiation and took the Best QB we had in decades and let him get away

Doc, he may be the best QB we've had in decades... BUT, what does that say .. I think he is what he is ,, a better than average QB but  nothing special..Certainly not worth $100+ millions. IMHO 

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Doc, he may be the best QB we've had in decades... BUT, what does that say .. I think he is what he is ,, a better than average QB but  nothing special..Certainly not worth $100+ millions. IMHO 

I think hes a top 9-13 QB so also hate paying him the highest amount in nfl history. But its the nature of the position- He will sign somewhere and be the highest paid player. Then the next QB ranked at or above him will overtake him in a short period of time. We have paid him way too much for the past two years and anyone seriously thinking of franchising him again is really nuts

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Didn't we do the same with Champ

Apparently so.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2004/02/19/bailey-given-franchise-tag-redskins/4c6a816a-4851-47f0-bb18-45c2c84118bf/?utm_term=.9e5ff3d522e5 

In fact, according to this article the Redskins have never signed a franchised player to an extension EVER:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/need-to-know-the-redskins-have-never-signed-a-tagged-player-long-term

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Didn't we do the same with Champ

From what I found , he said he would sit out if we tagged him so we gave him permission to seek at trade. Obviously it worked out though I don't think he was ever officially "tagged". 

Well-maybe we did per the above by MNight

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

If that were to happen, the NFL woudl go broke to quick. There would be no need for free agency because teams could fill spots with cheaper talent. Free Agency allows you to go out and get someone before you have to back fill with a younger unknown. 

I would not change that. 

Worked well in 2011 and teams did spend money. We sure spent a lot on WRs & on defenders.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Any quarterback of Cousins’ caliber we are going to have to eventually make that guy the highest paid player at his position. Say we sign Aj McCarron on a cheaper deal than Cousins for a few years because he hasn’t proven he’s worthy of top qb money, if McCarron plays as well as Cousins has the last 3 years he’ll be worth one of the most expensive contracts for a qb in history also.

Same goes if we draft a qb and he does what Cousins did the last 3 years. 

There’s no getting a cheaper qb and thinking long term he’s going to be a better option. The Qbs who are going to be cheaper than Cousins are cheaper for a reason, they’re not as good as him.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Any quarterback of Cousins’ caliber we are going to have to eventually make that guy the highest paid player at his position. Say we sign Aj McCarron on a cheaper deal than Cousins for a few years because he hasn’t proven he’s worthy of top qb money, if McCarron plays as well as Cousins has the last 3 years he’ll be worth one of the most expensive contracts for a qb in history also.

There’s no getting a cheaper qb and thinking long term he’s going to be a better option. The Qbs who are going to be cheaper than Cousins are cheaper for a reason, they’re not as good as him.

FYI, McCarron showed up in Mobile with a Browns hat on. Not sure what that means per se, but considering he plays for the Bengals and the Browns goofed trading for him, they may go after him after all. 

1 minute ago, mike23md said:

FYI, McCarron showed up in Mobile with a Browns hat on. Not sure what that means per se, but considering he plays for the Bengals and the Browns goofed trading for him, they may go after him after all. 

He wants to play for Hue Jackson. He said the reason he wanted traded to the Browns at the trade deadline was because he wanted to play for Hue. 

Perhaps that is where he ends up, but I was just giving an example of a qb who I think eventually will be amongst the most expensive in the league.

11 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Been saying this for a while ... I see Browns instead go Shipley and BPA with the 4th pick .

AJ mcCaron would be cheap and has a lot of potential. With hue Jackson on the hot seat I think the Browns give Mccaron a shot and build other pieces .

i personally think Shipley and Chubbs on the Browns would be amazing for them .

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Same could be said about Jimmy G he had only like what ? 2 starts and got traded .

the Browns should draft Shipley and Chubbs the first two picks . Rosen or Darnold I don't think want anything to do with the Browns .

allen the only one that likes them and I think Mccaron as of now is A better option for them .

Archived