2018 Free Agency

turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The documentary would be pretty boring if he just went to Minnesota and immediately signed.

I think he has to go visit the Jets to get some footage of their big pitch to him and get their monstrous offer on the record — then shoot some really candid scenes of him wandering the streets of NYC, pondering the life changing decision he’s faced with. Sitting on a Central Park bench with a stranger (because he’s an Everyman), staring across the harbor at the Statue of Liberty (because he loves America), and eventually driving his minivan (because he’s a family man) on an impromptu detour to the Football HOF in Canton to mull his options in the company of the busts of Vince Lombardi and Johnny U (because he’s a student of the game and its history). 

Eventually he’ll go home and think some more, holding his Bible (because he’s a man of faith) and talking it over with his father (because he appreciates his parents more than they could ever know). Then he’ll make up his mind and load the family, including the golden retriever (because he loves dogs, all animals really), into the minivan and set out for the destination he finally got to choose. As everyone else sleeps peacefully in the car, he’ll come to a conveniently placed (and totally not CGI’d) road sign that tells him he needs to go left for Minnesota or right for NYC. The scene fades to black as he prepares to turn the wheel...

It picks up again with Cousins in a tunnel in what appears to be a stadium. He gives a long whispered speech about the process and his future, then pauses dramatically before telling the camera that he’s chosen — MINNESOTA! He puts on a Viking hat/t-shirt and whispers “you like that?” (because that’s his popular catchphrase) before running out the tunnel and onto the floor at the Target Center to be greeted by the thousands of adoring fans who thought they were only going to see a basketball game but instead got the gift of Kirk Cousins. 

As he basks in the fans’ adoration, cherishing the opportunity to finally choose the football team he would play for after 11 long years of only getting to choose once, Morgan Freeman (in a voice over) will inform us that though the Jets offered a contract with a record $33M AAV, Kirk decided to accept the Vikings’ lesser offer of a contract with a record $31M AAV. Because that’s how much he cares about winning over money. And remember to check out kirkcousins.org for all the hottest new Kirk Cousins Vikings gear. 

Pretty much how I'd write it for maximum dramatic effect.

Oh and BTW, I HATE this move by his team. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

And Sammy Watkins is able to fill a much bigger role in an offense.  We didn't need another #3-4 type WR, we needed a legit #1 guy.  Is Paul Richardson that?  

Sammy Watkins is not able to fill a bigger role. He’s been in the league as a #1 for 4 or 5 years and has not produced #1 numbers. Sammy Watkins is living off of his draft hype as the best WR prospect in his draft class. He’s been on 3 teams and he’s 24...not great.

Our “#1 guy” has always been and Wills always be Jordan Reed. That’s how the team sees it  

This is a pretty damn good deal for a guy who has great speed and excellent hands. All that matter in the NFL is the gtd money, and $20M over 3 years ain’t bad. 

If you think Sammy Watkins is worth 2x than P-Rich, you are sorely mistaken my fellow VCU brethren.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

And Sammy Watkins is able to fill a much bigger role in an offense.  We didn't need another #3-4 type WR, we needed a legit #1 guy.  Is Paul Richardson that?  

Not a Paul Richardson fan due mostly because his slight frame and injury history. But if he is indeed a true burner then he fits the exact role the Redskins offense is missing. We needed to get faster at WR and if he's a true 4.3 guy, I understand the signing. Not happy with the money but with the contracts going out right now, I'm not surprised. What I do like about this signing is grabbing a player on his second contract with hopes that his future is brighter than his past. I like that he ran a 4.28 at the combine and I like that's he's 25 years old. He also makes some acrobatic catches, so purely from an entertainment perspective, that's a bonus. 

Quote from SoS.. long-time Hawks' and FFer fan. 

I’m excited to see what PRich can do in an offense that doesn’t limit his abilities so much.

Quite a bit of money and wouldn’t have made sense for us to match, but I can see him ascending out of our system similar to Golden Tate. 

Great speed, good route runner, and amazing ability to high point the football with quietly some of the best hands in the league. 

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Can't you guys ever like a move the Redskins make? He had the same production as DJax, he's 5 years younger and they both got $20 mill guaranteed --cept DJax was for 3 years ! Not 5 .

I don't mind us signing Paul Richardson I just don't think we should have paid him that much.  If we're able to land him during the legal tampering phase no one else was offering him this kind of deal.  We're talking about a guy with one 700 yard season in 4 years and some injury history.  

11 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Richardson making 8 mil a year I believe. That's cheaper than Watkins and Robinson.

Im not huge on Robinson and I'm sure in time I'll like him , but he was a cheaper option .

Cheaper =/= better, good, or warranted. Cheaper = cheaper. That's all it is right now. 

I was hoping TY Hilton would be free to sign up, but this is about the next best thing when considering what Washington needs.

Speed to burn + sharp routes + trusty hands + YAC ability. 

The complete package.. while sure.. he is no sure bet to pan out. (how many are?) This is a gamble on him reaching his max potential, and all we can really do now is hope he finds it. 

( or you can hate it, curse the sky, and hope he crashes and burns along with everything else! whatever keeps ya warm! ) 

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Cheaper =/= better, good, or warranted. Cheaper = cheaper. That's all it is right now. 

Lol. A Rob got 3 year and a minimum of 24 guaranteed. We got a young up and coming WR for 5 years and a minimum of 20 guaranteed. 

Would ya’ll have rather gave this contract to Ryan Grant, cause that was probably the other option. 

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Lol. A Rob got 3 year and a minimum of 24 guaranteed. We got a young up and coming WR for 5 years and a minimum of 20 guaranteed. 

Would ya’ll have rather gave this contract to Ryan Grant, cause that was probably the other option. 

Up and coming based off of what?

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Up and coming based off of what?

The guy had Russell Wilson at QB who is anything but a conventional pocket QB. He runs great routes, rarely drops balls and has good top end speed. He will fit in really well in this offense.

Now I am just waiting and hoping for a Nigel Bradham deal to be announced. Either that, or a Dontari Poe signing. 

Then, they can likely go DL or ILB in rd 1 with whichever position didn't get signed in FA!

dooooooooooo it!

Archived