Titans Head Coaching Search 2018

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

How can you say that was all McVay, because he didn’t or hasn’t call plays doesn’t make him any less of a good coach. A lot of HC have good Offensive assistants on their staff but prefer to call plays, Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton, Andy Reid didn’t turn play calling over to mid season to natty. Mike Tomlin was never a play caller. Leflar has 1 thing that a lot of guys in the running don’t & that’s a history of working wit QB’s & being around some great football minds 

Maybe so. Just not impressed. I want a hire I can be pretty confident in. And while those guys may turn out to be great coaches, neither LaFleur nor Vrabel are guys I would be overly confident in.  

3 hours ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

So any news or rumors of other candidates coming in besides Average Joe's Peter LaFleur, Wilks, and Vrabel? Working today can't scour as much as I'd like too haha

I'm kinda expecting at least a couple of more from:

Jim Bob Cooter, Frank Reich, George Edwards.  They may see DeFilippo similar to how they see LaFleur... bring him in to see what he's about and what his thoughts are as far as developing a scheme and staff.  IF some of the other candidates (Wilks, Reich) throw his name around as a potential OC, they could also use the interview to get a little insight into him.  

We could also have a surprise candidate from a guy like Schwartz (although he doesn't seem to fit the mold of the guys we're looking at so far), Austin, and maybe even McDaniels or Patricia (if for no other reason than JRob throwing one or both a bone, to silence the deals-are-done talks).  

There has to be a guy or two we haven't even mentioned that they could be interested enough to at least warrant an interview... someone like Goodwin, AZ's OC that they've interviewed for their HC spot... 

As far as DC candidates.... I know, that's looking ahead as we haven't even interviewed a single HC candidate... but what about Richard from Seattle?  He's a very intriguing name to me in that role... I mean he was the DB coach in Seattle who built the Legion of Boom... and his defenses have been stout since he took over for Quinn (even this past year with all the injuries, they managed to finish 13th in ppg).

I don't know... but a group of Vrabel at HC, DeFillipo at OC, and Richard at DC is mighty appealing to me.  

8 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Maybe so. Just not impressed. I want a hire I can be pretty confident in. And while those guys may turn out to be great coaches, neither LaFleur nor Vrabel are guys I would be overly confident in.  

I feel what you’re saying, but it’s a gamble either way. Ex Rex Ryan Great Defensive Cordinator everyone thought he was going to turnt out a great coach, players love him, but he could never get it right with an OC. I really think based on what John Robinson said, our Next HC is going to be someone that can develop Marcus & build an offense around his skill set 

The Titans’ interest in LaFleur could have several layers. They might genuinely be interested in him as a head coach — or play-calling offensive coordinator — at this time. They might use it as an opportunity to meet him and, perhaps, lay the groundwork for the future. And NFL teams often use interviews with coaching candidates as opportunities to learn how opponents viewed their strengths and weaknesses.

Read this on LA Times and thought it was an interesting viewpoint.

12 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We could also have a surprise candidate from a guy like Schwartz (although he doesn't seem to fit the mold of the guys we're looking at so far), Austin, and maybe even McDaniels or Patricia (if for no other reason than JRob throwing one or both a bone, to silence the deals-are-done talks).   

Schwartz also got his coaching start under Belichick in Cleveland in the 90s. Didn't cross over w/J-Rob but would be a quick reference call. He seems like the most likely "retread" option in my mind. His previous connection to TEN would be minimal, as everyone has left except back-office folks like Underwood (which could be a big I suppose if they got along well). If he brought a great staff I'm intrigued, however I tend to lean towards someone w/a fresher outlook.

Edited by VY

5 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I doubt he leaves but I hope we attempt to interview David Shaw.

Now here’s my take on shaw, I love him as a college coach, but I’m scared of taking chances on college coaches with no NFL HC expierence. But he’s very good in coaching up QB’s & his offense ??

7 minutes ago, VY said:

Schwartz also got his coaching start under Belichick in Cleveland in the 90s. Didn't cross over w/J-Rob but would be a quick reference call. He seems like the most likely "retread" option in my mind. His previous connection to TEN would be minimal, as everyone has left except back-office folks like Underwood (which could be a big I suppose if they got along well). If he brought a great staff I'm intrigued, however I tend to lean towards someone w/a fresher outlook.

At this point, I'd be down with just about anyone if they could bring Flip and Richard as their coordinators (we've discussed Defilippo enough that we've earned the right to use the nickname).  I prefer LaFleur to Flip, but I see that as a tougher path.  I'm so psyched about that group of coordinators that I know there's about a .0579434586% chance of it happening.  

• Like 1

Schwartz would be the least exciting option for me. I'd be lying if I said the fact that he was here before and coached under Fisher didn't play a role in why I don't want him. I want completely new blood in here. Schwartz is a great DC, but his rough stint in Detroit where his teams were some of the most undisciplined in the league along with the fact he was here before and learned under Fish just makes me want to take a hard pass on him.  I want a coach in here that can bring us a completely fresh start, and I don't see Schwartz being the guy to do that for us.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Schwartz would be the least exciting option for me. I'd be lying if I said the fact that he was here before and coached under Fisher didn't play a role in why I don't want him. I want completely new blood in here. Schwartz is a great DC, but his rough stint in Detroit where his teams were some of the most undisciplined in the league along with the fact he was here before and learned under Fish just makes me want to take a hard pass on him.  I want a coach in here that can bring us a completely fresh start, and I don't see Schwartz being the guy to do that for us.

He became a great DC. He was awwwwful with us. Haynesworth saved him

fireschwartz.com was a real thing!

• Like 1