Would a Bortles-Foles or Bortles-Keenum Super Bowl be good or bad for the NFL's bottom line?

Apparition

Jacksonville over the Patriots would be an unmitigated disaster for ratings.  Sure most even casual fans will watch no matter what but ratings do fluctuate from year to year and that is going to be driven by market size, star power, and storylines.  The Patriots are a big market team with a big fan base, tons of star power, and every storyline there is.  The Jaguars are the complete opposite end of the spectrum. 

Eagles are probably marginally better than the Vikings, because Philly / New Jersey is a much bigger TV market, but both teams have pretty big and well established fan bases and neither would be that bad for the league's bottom line imo.  If Wentz was still playing he would obviously tip the balance.

eagles have the best young qb in the NFL even if he is hurt he is still probably the next "star" that needs to be shoved down everyones throats so I don't think the eagles making it is a detriment to the NFL if anything it helps them promote carson wentz all next year. 

38 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

There's absolutely no way to deny that Bortles vs. Keenum is bad for the NFL's bottom line. Two smaller market teams with "bad" QB's is not good for marketing and revenue.

Foles vs Brady would be a disaster because everyone would know the outcome.

1 hour ago, chargerbuckeye said:

Foles vs Brady would be a disaster because everyone would know the outcome.

Sounds in many ways like the 07' SB "if" that matchup would occur? Pretty sure the Giants had no chance in that matchup either.

I think any Super Bowl with the Patriots is going to draw in large amounts of casuals no matter the opposing QB. Even ones who are tired of the Patriots being in the super bowl  will watch to cheer for them to lose.

The Minneapolis Miracle has become national ,that play was all over national tv/radio, on all sorts of non sports shows as well. That play has introduced Case Keenum and Stefon Diggs to even the casual sports fan. They may have not know much about the Vikings before, but every one was talking about that play now and come super bowl if the Vikings make it that play will definitely help draw casual fans in that other wise may not have cared. Also while the twin cities isn't a traditional huge power house market, I think the actual size of Vikings fans through out all states is taken for granted a bit.

As for if the Super bowl is Bortles vs Foles I honestly don't think it will change to many peoples minds. I look back at the 49er's vs Ravens Super Bowl and I don't think there was anything particular story line that would persuade casual fans to care more. The 49er's hadn't been good in a long time and most of the younger casual fans wouldn't even know their history. Ray Lewis was really the only name that the casual fan would recognize from that game to really care about. The game it self even had that 34 minute power outage. That super bowl still ended up with huge ratings so i don't really see why Bortles vs Foles would end up tanking. Especially since Philly is a large east coast market and the Jaguars have rather rowdy young play making defense that is not afraid to speak their minds.

I  actually think a Jaguars vs Vikings Super Bowl matchup would be received rather well on a national level.

Archived