NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   The Kyler Murray homework clause is a colossal blunder by the Cardinals. It makes him look bad for not studying enough, and it makes them look worse for giving him all that money even though he wasn't studying enough.

"colossal" lol

Words have no meaning anymore 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk -   The Kyler Murray homework clause is a colossal blunder by the Cardinals. It makes him look bad for not studying enough, and it makes them look worse for giving him all that money even though he wasn't studying enough.

The optics are terrible for sure. I'm just not sure I buy he wasn't even hitting 4 damn hours a week. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

The optics are terrible for sure. I'm just not sure I buy he wasn't even hitting 4 damn hours a week. 

That's the minimum they're asking him to put in....and you've gotta expect they had a reason for asking. In other words, they're asking him....in a contractual sorta way....to cross the T's and dot some I's. 

Edited by Leader

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

That's the minimum they're asking him to put in....and you've gotta expect they had a reason for asking. In other words, they're asking him....in a contractual sorta way....to cross the T's and dot some I's. 

I obviously get the logic of it all. Just seems stupid on their end and I feel like it's too easy to read into I guess. Maybe I'm on my own but I'm closer to this being a nothingburger then this scathing attack on how work ethic with game study I guess. But I understand if I'm more alone on it because it's certainly weird

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I obviously get the logic of it all. Just seems stupid on their end and I feel like it's too easy to read into I guess. Maybe I'm on my own but I'm closer to this being a nothingburger then this scathing attack on how work ethic with game study I guess. But I understand if I'm more alone on it because it's certainly weird

Not a big deal...but I disagree. When you're giving somebody 230 large - you have a right to expect some diligence to the tasks at hand. The fact they felt it necessary to spell it out on paper is telling IMO - tells me it's considered an "issue" that I suspect has been voiced to Murray in the past without good result.

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not a big deal...but I disagree. When you're giving somebody 230 large - you have a right to expect some diligence to the tasks at hand. The fact they felt it necessary to spell it out on paper is telling IMO - tells me it's considered an "issue" that I suspect has been voiced to Murray in the past without good result.

I feel ya. I just wonder if it's some new stupid *** boiler plate thing management wanted in it and it doesn't have anything to do with him personally and they didn't think it would leak and now everyone's piling on like he's a worthless ***. I'm just not as easily convinced to take it at face value as everyone else. 

Part 3 kinda reads like they're going to monitor the time everyone is on their iPad watching game materials (lol), if you go with my conspiracy theory that this is a new clause for everyone in ARI and not something they started exclusively for him. 

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Part 3 kinda reads like they're going to monitor the time everyone is on their iPad watching game materials (lol), if you go with my conspiracy theory that this is a new clause for everyone in ARI and not something they started exclusively for him. 

Shows two things.

1. A terrible culture if they can't get their guys to buy in to doing the things necessary to win.

2. That falls on the coach. 

It makes sense in Murray's case as he adlibs way more than the norm. Translation, he didn't know his progressions and once #1 was covered, he tried to make something happen. Something Rodgers did prior to MLF, but for other reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I dont have a problem with the organization doing that.

I suspect it's a "work device" and he's not searching for / ordering up hookers on them.....so it's not a privacy matter for me.

Again......if they're giving you this chunk of money, they've a right to expect a return on their investment. I'd not thought of it till you mentioned it, but perhaps they have in fact noted he doesnt put in the time.

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Should we hope Chicago puts a dome on Soldier Field so we can laugh at them? Or would a Packer/Bear game in a dome just be too wrong?

Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot

@chicagosmayor
· 49m
Soldier Field remains an incredible asset for City residents & visitors. These proposed renovations allow Soldier Field to retain its role as an economic engine for Chicago for years to come, allowing us to keep bringing sports,music, & other events to our world-class city. 🧵
Show this thread

I think the doom is to prevent fans from getting hit with stray bullets flying around in Chicago while inside. Once they are outside, they are on their own. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Shows two things.

1. A terrible culture if they can't get their guys to buy in to doing the things necessary to win.

2. That falls on the coach. 

It makes sense in Murray's case as he adlibs way more than the norm. Translation, he didn't know his progressions and once #1 was covered, he tried to make something happen. Something Rodgers did prior to MLF, but for other reasons. 

It doesn't even mean they aren't doing it necessarily. You hate Kilff and Kyler lol. We went through this last year.

Could be insanely tone deaf as far as not seeing how this looks to the outside, but anyone signing that would be like "lol okay I can handle that." But it's just a bottom end baseline that they could monitor that nobody would take issue with. 

If you sign a contract to take a job and it says you can't drink and do drugs at work it doesn't mean that's what everyone's doing and this is their plan to stop it...

1 minute ago, Norm said:

It doesn't even mean they aren't doing it necessarily. You hate Kilff and Kyler lol. We went through this last year.

Could be insanely tone deaf as far as not seeing how this looks to the outside, but anyone signing that would be like "lol okay I can handle that." But it's just a bottom end baseline that they could monitor that nobody would take issue with. 

If you sign a contract to take a job and it says you can't drink and do drugs at work it doesn't mean that's what everyone's doing and this is their plan to stop it...

I should have said, "coach or front office." It could be either or both.

You think the players aren't smart enough to turn on the iPad and walk away and play video games? This does nothing to solve a cultural problem, if in fact they have to do it with the whole team. If it is isolated to Murray, good luck with that contract. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

There's been a number of quarterbacks who would rather play video games than watch tape (Paxton Lynch, for example.)   Murray is just the first one who is nonetheless so talented that the team is trying to compromise about it.

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I should have said, "coach or front office." It could be either or both.

You think the players aren't smart enough to turn on the iPad and walk away and play video games? This does nothing to solve a cultural problem, if in fact they have to do it with the whole team. If it is isolated to Murray, good luck with that contract. 

Hey I think it's stupid as all hell to put in there for ANY player. I'm just not sure this was just for Murray.

And yeah idk how they monitor usage. Unless it's freaking recording their faces. Which makes it all the more stupid even thinking about enforcement.

I'm guess I'm tentatively taking Murray's side right now, I think that's my point.