NFL News & Notes

Leader

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The Bucs gave Julio up to 8 mil lol. Good luck. Glad we passed.

Julio, age 33, at $8M?

Or Watkins, age 29, at $1.85M?

Kind of a no brainer, isn't it?

Do we know if the 8M is guaranteed, of if he has incentives that push it to 8M total?  

If it were me, I'd guarantee like 1M.  Then every game played is a bonus, then larger bonuses for catches, TD's and recognition.  

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

These vets are not giving any discounts now that camp is here. Going to cost 5-8m to get JPP, Barr or Ford probably. Some of this is incentives I'm sure, and we can prorate the bonus over some void years too. Still am not confident in our EDGE depth. 

Image tagged in googlymoogly - Imgflip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

Like Gute said yesterday they want to see what they have in house and if they see an upgrade there will be decent cap casualties WR vets on the mkt around cut down time they can pickup.

I actually feel the same way about the WR, edge, OT, and defensive backs.  At this point, let's see what we have before jumping in on any of these guys.  Most of them have played their best football already anyway.  

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Julio, age 33, at $8M?

Or Watkins, age 29, at $1.85M?

Kind of a no brainer, isn't it?

Do we know if the 8M is guaranteed, of if he has incentives that push it to 8M total?  

If it were me, I'd guarantee like 1M.  Then every game played is a bonus, then larger bonuses for catches, TD's and recognition.  

According to overthecap it's about a 6 million dollar cap hit but his cap number is only 2 million. 

48 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Ryan Jensen was carted off the field with a reported knee injury in Tampa today. He's the glue on that offensive line. Not wishing him a severe injury, just giving details. 

DON'T LIE YOU WANTED HIM TO GET HURT!!!!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Kyler Murray is having a go at it… it’s disrespectful for the media to ask about his work ethic…. Yet it wasn’t disrespectful for the team to put it in his contracts or for him to SIGN IT.

Lolwut. He 100% thinks it was. He just isn't going to say that. Where the hell did you get the idea he's okay with it? And don't say because he signed it lol

So I think the thing with the Kyler Murray situation is that Murray obviously does prepare for games, just not as much as the Cardinals want.  The Cardinals put the "independent study clause" both to send the message "do more" and to give them an out on the contract, in negotiations it got bargained down to a laughable 4 hours which had the end result of making it seem like Kyler Murray wasn't already doing more than that- he just also spends more time "playing Call of Duty" than "watching tape" on his own time.  Though most players probably spend more time relaxing, pursuing their hobbies, doing things that they find fun on their own personal time during the season than "grinding tape at home" it's just that "he plays video games" carries more social stigma than "he's at the club" for some reason.

I'm not sure who leaked this though, unless it was somebody who just had access to the contract and thought that this clause was hilarious and wanted to share that with the world.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

19 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Bucs might end up replacing the entire interior OL from the last two seasons, since Marpet retired and Cappa signed with the Bengals. Remind me whether or not Brady likes pressure up the middle.

Wonder if Julio Jones can play guard or center? Perhaps he could if this were high school basketball and not NFL football. 

They are woefully short on depth in the interior of their o-line. 

Edited by Old Guy

45 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So I think the thing with the Kyler Murray situation is that Murray obviously does prepare for games, just not as much as the Cardinals want.  The Cardinals put the "independent study clause" both to send the message "do more" and to give them an out on the contract, in negotiations it got bargained down to a laughable 4 hours which had the end result of making it seem like Kyler Murray wasn't already doing more than that- he just also spends more time "playing Call of Duty" than "watching tape" on his own time.  Though most players probably spend more time relaxing, pursuing their hobbies, doing things that they find fun on their own personal time during the season than "grinding tape at home" it's just that "he plays video games" carries more social stigma than "he's at the club" for some reason.

I'm not sure who leaked this though, unless it was somebody who just had access to the contract and thought that this clause was hilarious and wanted to share that with the world.

People are going to see what they want to see in this situation, but if there wasn't a problem would they be putting in such a clause? In Murray's own words last season admitted to not putting much time into film study. 

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said, via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Wonder if Julio Jones can play guard or center? Perhaps he could if this were high school basketball and not NFL football. 

They are woefully short on depth in the interior of their o-line. 

Meh... they'll probably sign Tretter in the next day or so and be fine. Brady and Co. aren't settling for the "next man up." They'll go out and actively replace Jensen.