NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's getting annoying, especially from the bloggers and beat guys too. We're already in full "don't take snaps away from a 7th round rookie" season and we haven't even seen these guys in a Packers helmet yet lol.

Rant time: The NFC North is WIDE open and the notion that the Packers are in full "rebuild" mode is a fallacy. On paper, our defense should be stronger than the group on the field at the end of last year ( - Reed, - Lowry, - Amos (maybe) + Gary, + Stokes, + Van Ness, + Mid-round DL). Moreover, on offense, our OL has a fully healthy Bak and Jenkins unlike last season, plus a 2nd year Tom and the same group of RBs. 

At TE, we lost Tonyan, a very average player with average stats. You can probably replace his production alone with Deguara, let alone adding Musgrave and Kraft. As stated before, Lewis IMO would be the bigger loss over Tonyan due to his specific skill set. 

At WR, we lost Lazard and Cobb. Big deal. No one cares about Cobb, and Lazard's best skill besides blocking is playing with his buddy, Aaron Rodgers, and acting like he's something more than an average No. 2 option. Experience is one thing, but pure talent wise, I'm taking Watson-Doubs-Reed over last year's Week 1 of Watkins-Lazard-Cobb 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. 

That leaves the elephant in the room - QB. This entire thing comes down to Love's play and frankly, do we see him being worse than the 2022 version of Rodgers? 

I'm not saying the Packers are going to go there tomorrow and hang with Philly and the Niners in the playoffs, but last year's team wasn't doing that either. The 2023 Packers can certainly win the NFC North or, at the very least, make the playoffs as a wildcard in this weak-*** NFC conference and that's all people should really be talking about right now. 

The end. 

I agree with the above, but this season can't be about maximizing 2023. It has to be about the future.

Every team needs a good mix of young players and veterans.  What I don't want on the team is just veterans for the sake of veterans who aren't contributors on the field.  We have no pass catcher outside of Deguara who is a veteran with playoff experience, and he's on his rookie deal.

Elsewhere you have Bakh, you have Jenkins, you have Preston Smith, you have Gary, you have Jaire, you have Clark, you have Aaron Jones.  I think that is a more than good enough core of veterans.

So do you need a real veteran pass catcher?  Possibly.  Someone to teach the young crew how to practice, how to prepare, how to be a reliable target.  Someone to echo the coaching from a more friendly/peer perspective.  That has value.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's getting annoying, especially from the bloggers and beat guys too. We're already in full "don't take snaps away from a 7th round rookie" season and we haven't even seen these guys in a Packers helmet yet lol.

Rant time: The NFC North is WIDE open and the notion that the Packers are in full "rebuild" mode is a fallacy. On paper, our defense should be stronger than the group on the field at the end of last year ( - Reed, - Lowry, - Amos (maybe) + Gary, + Stokes, + Van Ness, + Mid-round DL). Moreover, on offense, our OL has a fully healthy Bak and Jenkins unlike last season, plus a 2nd year Tom and the same group of RBs. 

At TE, we lost Tonyan, a very average player with average stats. You can probably replace his production alone with Deguara, let alone adding Musgrave and Kraft. As stated before, Lewis IMO would be the bigger loss over Tonyan due to his specific skill set. 

At WR, we lost Lazard and Cobb. Big deal. No one cares about Cobb, and Lazard's best skill besides blocking is playing with his buddy, Aaron Rodgers, and acting like he's something more than an average No. 2 option. Experience is one thing, but pure talent wise, I'm taking Watson-Doubs-Reed over last year's Week 1 of Watkins-Lazard-Cobb 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. 

That leaves the elephant in the room - QB. This entire thing comes down to Love's play and frankly, do we see him being worse than the 2022 version of Rodgers? 

I'm not saying the Packers are going to go there tomorrow and hang with Philly and the Niners in the playoffs, but last year's team wasn't doing that either. The 2023 Packers can certainly win the NFC North or, at the very least, make the playoffs as a wildcard in this weak-*** NFC conference and that's all people should really be talking about right now. 

The end. 

I agree. I'm not looking at 2023 as a lost season....and feel it's on the defense to assert itself.

26 minutes ago, R T said:

To many of all ya'll are punting on the 2023 season already. 

I really don't think packers are giving a 4th contract to a player who has lingering knee issues.  Top level OTs have fetched HUGE sums at the deadline to desperate teams.  Players like Chubb, Ramsey, Jamal Adams, etc have also gotten huge sums as players in their prime and already on expensive contracts or about to sign expensive deals (which Bakh certainly is)

Laremy Tunsil - Current First, Future year First, and a Future year 2nd. THEN the texans signed him to a 3 year market deal.

Duane Brown - Current 3rd and Future 2nd FOR A PLAYER WHO WAS HOLDING OUT

Cap implications for trading Bakh are pretty favorable - Saving 23M across 23/24.  That's enough to pay Nijman and add a RT veteran.

Some of y'all need to face the music of the decisions in 2021/2022 while still enjoying the 2023 season.  This should be about entering 2024 with a clean sheet, and only retaining players who are core members through 2026.  I'm not sure Bakh is in a different spot to Bryan Bulaga in 2020. A good player who struggles with his knee:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2022/3/15/22979823/chargers-bryan-bulaga-news-nfl

The news we’ve all been expecting has finally dropped.

According to multiple sources, the Chargers have released right tackle Bryan Bulaga after two injury-plagued seasons. The move comes at a time where the Bolts need to free up some more cap space if they wish to continue the massive re-tooling of their roster. 

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I agree with the above, but this season can't be about maximizing 2023. It has to be about the future.

These aren't mutually exclusive. We have plenty of youth -- look at our WR and TE rooms. If the Packers really believe it's important to have a vet WR in that room for example (or TE), we really shouldn't care about how it impacts Samori Toure's future. There are 50 Toures in the league, a couple on every team. 

It's the same nonsense we argue about every year when it comes to cuts and everyone worries about "well we can't cut this guy or another team will sign him" - yet that virtually never happens. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

we really shouldn't care about how it impacts Samori Toure's future. There are 50 Toures in the league, a couple on every team. 

It's the same nonsense we argue about every year when it comes to cuts and everyone worries about "well we can't cut this guy or another team will sign him" - yet that virtually never happens. 

100%

Honestly Doubs is closer to Toure than anyone here would care to admit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

These aren't mutually exclusive. We have plenty of youth -- look at our WR and TE rooms. If the Packers really believe it's important to have a vet WR in that room for example (or TE), we really shouldn't care about how it impacts Samori Toure's future. There are 50 Toures in the league, a couple on every team. 

Agreed. Lots of young talent and other guys that could develop but not a guarantee and history would suggest they won’t reach NFL preferred starter level. Still, you see what you’ve got because good players come out of every round. This team is very thin on vet leadership. This might not be the year where that would make a huge difference but every championship team has a few guys that keep the ship steady when the waters get rough. If they deem a guy worthy I believe we can still hold on to our back of the roster guys. 

59 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The end. 

Joe Barry.  That is all.

• Like 1

QB room:  unknown, probably worse.  But as said before, it wasn't like Rodgers was anything special last year.

RB room:  Solid no change over last year.

TE room:  Deguara, some kid whose name I can't ever remember and a couple of rookies.  This room is worse because we know it takes time for TE's to get it.

WR room:  Better on talent and physical traits.  Worse on NFL football knowledge.

OL room:  Seems better, much better, just from a health standpoint.  I have a lot of hope for Humper, Williams, Tom and Ryan.

DL room:  Worse.  Lost Reed and Lowry.  Better.  More snaps for Wyatt.  Young blood ready to push on that line, too.

ILB room:  Better.  Quay better take a leap forward.

OLB room:  Worse.  Gary is still hurt.  Better.  LVN has a ton of upside.  He needs to play, not redshirt.

CB room:  Worse.  Stokes is still hurt.  Maybe Douglas is a safety.  Better....I liked Nixon and if Douglas stays at corner and we play Savage as a slot cover guy, this unit could be elite.

S room:  Worse.  No Amos yet.  Not a lot in that room at all.

Specials:  Worse.  New snapper.  Probably a new kicker.

I'd feel a whole lot better about the season if we didn't have Joe Barry.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

He won B2B MVPs with Hackett (also with Tae but 17 for the Jets is nice). Pack fans getting excited for AR to fail might be in for a cold shower. 

Hackett may not have been the playcaller for us on offense, but he always saved Rodgers a seat in meetings where they could watch clips of Rodgers running his own offense. It’s nice to see they can continue this in NY. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Joe Barry.  That is all.

True, but he was here last year too so that doesn't move the needle either way. Bottom-line is that the Packers went 8-9 and we had two embarrassing losses to the Lions that we should have won easily (who everyone wants to crown for some reason), and lost at least two other games we should have won given how the games went (Giants/Wash). We weren't a very good team, yet still should have easily won 10 games. Since then, on paper, the NFC has gotten even weaker. We're right in the thick of it. 

Edited by packfanfb

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

He won B2B MVPs with Hackett (also with Tae but 17 for the Jets is nice). Pack fans getting excited for AR to fail might be in for a cold shower. 

Not to mention having a beloved team member in Cobb to teach the young guys WRs the offense. The issues come from having him being one of your best WRS and getting lots of snaps. Cobb would have never come back here if we were drafting good WRs or TEs. Easy to beat out JAGs for snaps. He had some good games last year too.