NFL News & Notes

Leader

28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

True, but he was here last year too so that doesn't move the needle either way. Bottom-line is that the Packers went 8-9 and we had two embarrassing losses to the Lions that we should have won easily (who everyone wants to crown for some reason), and lost at least two other games we should have won given how the games went (Giants/Wash). We weren't a very good team, yet still should have easily won 10 games. Since then, on paper, the NFC has gotten even weaker. We're right in the thick of it. 

You are right, it doesn't move the needle, because it is already buried on the negative side.

On the bright side, I don't think even Barry can screw up LVN.  Unless he flat out refuses to play him.  And I can see him doing that.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I agree. I'm not looking at 2023 as a lost season....and feel it's on the defense to assert itself.

That's just it, the division is there to be had and the Packers defense will be by far the best defense in the division. ST's is no longer a liability. If the offense is in the middle of the NFL ranking they should be the favorites to win the division. 

Interesting note when looking up the ST's ranking from Rick Gosselin for the 2022 season, the teams that finished 31st and 32nd were the Eagles and the Chiefs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, R T said:

That's just it, the division is there to be had and the Packers defense will be by far the best defense in the division. ST's is no longer a liability. If the offense is in the middle of the NFL ranking they should be the favorites to win the division. 

Interesting note when looking up the ST's ranking from Rick Gosselin for the 2022 season, the teams that finished 31st and 32nd were the Eagles and the Chiefs. 

KC was 19th in DVOA and PHI was 13th. (GB was 17th)

Ol' Rick probably has really bad criteria.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

This room is worse because we know it takes time for TE's to get it.

I'll push back on this one.  I think Tonyan was a negative for the team last year, and having a "blocking TE" is not the way to play offense in the 2020's. 

Even if they have deguara play most of Tonyan's snaps I think this is an improvement, and the rookies at TE have been doing MUCH better in today's NFL than the 2000's and 2010's. 

They may not be major contributors, but expecting 2-300 yards each would be a nice first season for both.

41 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'll push back on this one.  I think Tonyan was a negative for the team last year, and having a "blocking TE" is not the way to play offense in the 2020's. 

Even if they have deguara play most of Tonyan's snaps I think this is an improvement, and the rookies at TE have been doing MUCH better in today's NFL than the 2000's and 2010's. 

They may not be major contributors, but expecting 2-300 yards each would be a nice first season for both.

It would be nice.  Yeah.  Nice.  But we know the reality of the situation...they are rookie TE's.  Luckily we have a first year starter under center, so there is no reason to put those rookies on the bench in favor of that other TE whose name I can never remember, kindda like Trevor Davis, kindda like Ryan Clark.  And I'm just too lazy to look up his real name.

53 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

havn't posted much since joining again, but I have to comment on this.

read a article last week, forget by who, bleacher report maybe, the best TE's in the league last year where 30 or older, and rarely does a TE excel till the end or after there rookie contract, it said coaches are leery of young TE's because a blocking mis cue could get there QB creamed, my point is we shouldn't expect to much from Musgrave and Kraft as rookies , one way to see them more is in 2 TE sets, sure to happen if we bring Lewis back.

teams are running more these last few seasons it seems to me, so a blocking TE is in demand

• Like 1

Did anybody just watch the clip on when the Cowboys were on the clock supposedly having a conversation over Mazi Smith and some supposed guard? Talk about scripted for TV. It was like "professional wrestling!" Fake as fake can be! 

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You are right, it doesn't move the needle, because it is already buried on the negative side.

On the bright side, I don't think even Barry can screw up LVN.  Unless he flat out refuses to play him.  And I can see him doing that.

He'll have LVN playing pass coverage on 80 percent of snaps.

43 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Graphic Shows All The Packers Talent Headed To The Jets

This is funny. They got one player we would have taken back in Lazard. Image

Look, I could laugh, but I don't want the Jets to be so bad that they tank Rodgers' snaps.

Billy Turner was a decent pick up.  By now he's probably one of those discounted veterans.

Alan Lazard is a reliable and useful #3 WR. Even if he is expected to be their #2 he's probably fine. The Jets cannot dump Cobb for ARod reasons, so that limits the WRs they can roster. I can't remember if Malik Taylor had ST value at all. If not, I don't think he factors in their final roster.

I have no idea who the "Ya'll got room?" guy is.