NFL News & Notes

Leader

37 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Azaria has a big time leg....he's better than our current punter for sure. 

What happened to him is becoming all too typical in this country. The person that alleges a crime is immediately placed into a protected class called victim hood and the accused is immediately deemed guilty by the media and therefore the public unless they can prove themselves innocent. There are many bad individuals out there who have done bad things and deserve their punishment.  But there are some that are innocent of these type of accusations.  I can only hope that our society can eventually learn to take a step back and not immediately judge other people until all the evidence is in and can be weighed by a court of law.

What's really sad here is what recourse does he now have? For the most part, the media has moved on and is not going to apologize or even show any remorse for what they did.  They'll even defend their actions and say "we were just covering the story".  This news about him and what really happened won't get much coverage.  I'll bet if you ask most people a year from now about Azaria, they'll say he is the person that assaulted and raped someone and then they'll ask if he ever got punished?  When someone tells them this news they'll just shrug and maybe go "ooh" at best.

Hopefully the Packers give him a chance...he deserves it.

If the facts are in indeed in the player's favor....what he'll do (if he still wants to play football) is apply to one or more teams.

48 minutes ago, Leader said:

Packers?  :)

But I was told it is a premium position and teams should invest heavily in it. So why is it the 5 of the ****tiest franchises in the NFL have paid the most for their WRs? 

Four of those teams have pretty expensive quarterbacks as well. Jacksonville has a guy on a rookie contract so they can somewhat get away with it. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

But I was told it is a premium position and teams should invest heavily in it. So why is it the 5 of the ****tiest franchises in the NFL have paid the most for their WRs? 

Four of those teams have pretty expensive quarterbacks as well. Jacksonville has a guy on a rookie contract so they can somewhat get away with it. 

somewhat leads to if using money spent at a position is the best indicator of positional value.  bad financial decisions are still bad

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Almost as though it's counterproductive to pay your WRs so you should extract the most value from a rookie contract that you can, let them hit FA and recoup the comp pick. They need to be Davante level or slightly below for me to pay. Just look at the net value the Bengals have gotten from Chase or the Vikings for Jefferson. They've saved probably 100m in cash with that pick over an equal valued vet. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Almost as though it's counterproductive to pay your WRs so you should extract the most value from a rookie contract that you can, let them hit FA and recoup the comp pick. They need to be Davante level or slightly below for me to pay. Just look at the net value the Bengals have gotten from Chase or the Vikings for Jefferson. They've saved probably 100m in cash with that pick over an equal valued vet. 

Comes down to spending cap space/ picks well on players.  

Jefferson and chase better value than some vets, but some vets are better value than John Ross and Reagor

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

somewhat leads to if using money spent at a position is the best indicator of positional value.  bad financial decisions are still bad

It's still the best indicator of how owners value NFL positions, yes. Ryan Tannehill had the highest cap high in 2022, but that means Ryan Tannehill is bad value, not that QBs are bad value. The more valuable something is, the more money chases it so you end up with bad value due to winner's curse. There are about 3x as many WRs as QBs, too, so from a gross number, you're gonna have 3x as many bad WR contracts as bad QB contracts.

It also just illustrates that QBs are the most valuable position.  4/5 of those teams had a bad QB situation and a bad team. The other team won a playoff game with their expensive WRs and are ascending.

It's a reactionary tweet that doesn't actually offer any useful insight.

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I agree with this with one caveat. You only take a WR in round 1 if you find a generational talent like Chase. 

The Packers have actually put on a clinic on how you manage the WR position with draft capital, extensions and allowing a few to walk. 

I have no doubt we have three, young, talented guys for Love to throw the ball to. How many will deserve a second contract or a contract we should want to play, 1 of them will be paid elite money, two will not. The three I'm counting on: Watson, Doubs, and Reed. 

Edited by Old Guy

I see the punt god is back in the news because apparently the woman lied about him being there during the assault. He left an hour earlier.

Wonder if the nfl is going to reinstate…

link because I know some will ask:

https://sports.yahoo.com/prosecutors-former-bills-punter-matt-araiza-wasnt-present-during-alleged-gang-rape-225211550.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJO7imCN4OumfZPi-pDMXBYmA72eQDV5WTdcpba_QQQOyiMiwphLdgyu_B1Uv7DV701SC3_qLJn2l6tXnwNPnINS1xc9WKA2wE__6TY2rQdVHizD3Zc537297MpRFOdJHsYEx14NVSXYmPAE0QKzaBRsBTBBMLww47zW7RsAfvCF

Edited by Green19

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Comes down to spending cap space/ picks well on players.  

Jefferson and chase better value than some vets, but some vets are better value than John Ross and Reagor

The best value for WRs is after round 1, with FEW exceptions. Even if you hit on a guy in the first round are they really that much better than guys in the second round. I'll give you an example. The Cowboys are going to wind up overpaying CD Lamb just like they did Amari Cooper. 

Can't wait til the Cowboys give Lamb over 25 a year. 

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

See, @MacReady, WRs are valuable ;)

You’re a more honest person than I am. There’s no way in hell I would link to something that blatantly disproves a theory of mine. This is exactly what I’ve been arguing with you though…

WR contracts are given out to sell tickets. They’re extremely overpaid. Because they sell tickets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MacReady said:

WR contracts are given out to sell tickets. They’re extremely overpaid. Because they sell tickets.

You have a percentage of the owners that might think that way. The others are just dealing with the Beanie Baby inflationization of the position.

For a rational GM, you avoid round one WRs and let good ones go if they get too expensive.

Hey, if you are an owner and you believe the WR = $, go for it! The Packers’ bottom line profit is routinely in the tens of millions. A fan of a team with an owner might be subject to $ decisions over smart football decisions to pump up the product coming out of their billion dollar Million Dollar Machine. 

41 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

You have a percentage of the owners that might think that way. The others are just dealing with the Beanie Baby inflationization of the position.

For a rational GM, you avoid round one WRs and let good ones go if they get too expensive.

Hey, if you are an owner and you believe the WR = $, go for it! The Packers’ bottom line profit is routinely in the tens of millions. A fan of a team with an owner might be subject to $ decisions over smart football decisions to pump up the product coming out of their billion dollar Million Dollar Machine. 

Yet every year we have a good percentage of the fanbase and media that is butt hurt because the Packers don't take a WR in the first round. Jamie Erdahl on GMFB even suggested it was racially motivated when she said we shouldn't have been surprised that the Packers past on a WR for a LARGE WHITE GUY. Didn't matter that Gutes first 7 first rounds selections were not 'white guys' and you need to go back to 2010 since they choses a 'white guy' in the 1st round. But she wasn't going to let facts get in the way of a stupid *** comment, yet not a soul called her out for that comment.    

• Like 1