NFL News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, R T said:

Yet every year we have a good percentage of the fanbase and media that is butt hurt because the Packers don't take a WR in the first round. Jamie Erdahl on GMFB even suggested it was racially motivated when she said we shouldn't have been surprised that the Packers past on a WR for a LARGE WHITE GUY. Didn't matter that Gutes first 7 first rounds selections were not 'white guys' and you need to go back to 2010 since they choses a 'white guy' in the 1st round. But she wasn't going to let facts get in the way of a stupid *** comment, yet not a soul called her out for that comment.    

That's the mob for you. 1st Round=Sex-ayyyyyy. 2nd and Lower=Put this paper bag on your head.

3 hours ago, R T said:

Yet every year we have a good percentage of the fanbase and media that is butt hurt because the Packers don't take a WR in the first round. Jamie Erdahl on GMFB even suggested it was racially motivated when she said we shouldn't have been surprised that the Packers past on a WR for a LARGE WHITE GUY. Didn't matter that Gutes first 7 first rounds selections were not 'white guys' and you need to go back to 2010 since they choses a 'white guy' in the 1st round. But she wasn't going to let facts get in the way of a stupid *** comment, yet not a soul called her out for that comment.    

I just looked up Jamie Erdahl. She is from Minnesota.  Of course she would slander the Packers given a chance.  As for being racist, not a single Chinese player was drafted by any of the teams.  NFL is anti-Asian.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just looked up Jamie Erdahl. She is from Minnesota.  Of course she would slander the Packers given a chance.  As for being racist, not a single Chinese player was drafted by any of the teams.  NFL is anti-Asian.

As a Native I have always found it a little appalling that there are NFL mandates for hiring of minorities, but those that occupied this land first are given zero thought. Fact is that it is widely viewed as okay to openly discriminate against us as a group as a whole. Yet those who skin is of a darker shade can baselessly scream discrimination at any time and most times no one will call them on it for fear of being labeled. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R T said:

Apparently doesn’t matter that GB took 3 WRs in total… none of which were white.

Also let’s not talk about how Gute drafted a non white QB, that the PACKERS are hoping is their next 15 year starter at the most important position… and would be the face of GB. Such a stupid comment by a member of the corporate media. Like the packers are operating this way… my lord.

40 minutes ago, R T said:

As a Native I have always found it a little appalling that there are NFL mandates for hiring of minorities, but those that occupied this land first are given zero thought. Fact is that it is widely viewed as okay to openly discriminate against us as a group as a whole. Yet those who skin is of a darker shade can baselessly scream discrimination at any time and most times no one will call them on it for fear of being labeled. 

I won’t get into a debate as to who has it worse, Native Americans on both continents have been killed, displaced and assimilated over centuries and I would say it is the “original sin” of the founding this country and is a common story worldwide. I don’t think it means the horrible history of other groups shouldn’t also be acknowledged. The Rooney rule, which I believe has good intentions but fails in practice, applies to any minority group and would apply to native Americans. I know Robert Saleh, who has Lebanese roots is considered a “minority hire”.  So far, there hasn’t been a fair way to diversify the coaching ranks but there has been more movement there in the past decade than I’ve ever seen before. 

Edited by Refugee

52 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not all Asians are Chinese 😁

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with this with one caveat. You only take a WR in round 1 if you find a generational talent like Chase. 

The Packers have actually put on a clinic on how you manage the WR position with draft capital, extensions and allowing a few to walk. 

I have no doubt we have three, young, talented guys for Love to throw the ball to. How many will deserve a second contract or a contract we should want to play, 1 of them will be paid elite money, two will not. The three I'm counting on: Watson, Doubs, and Reed. 

well I can't believe we handled the WR situation well, we went without even trying to add in another the caliber of Adams since the day we took him in round 2 of 2014, using a 2nd rounder on a receiver every 2 or 3 drafts worked very well, when Jennings wanted to much we had others to rely on with Jones, Nelson and Cobb, and then Adams.

Gute caused us to go with a completely inexperienced WR group, which caused zero bargaining power to retain Adams on a cheaper deal ( may not have worked anyway) point is we had zilch to fall back on other then Lazard, who's claim to fame was being the most experienced #3 receiver we had last year, sure the situation is improved with Watson, Doubs, now Reed and the TE's, but this should have been happening every other draft or so since 2014.

just my 2 cents 

Edited by turf toe

4 hours ago, R T said:

You just did. So the world has that going for it. I'm not familiar with her or that comment she made, but it sounds like someone I have no interest in reading if that was something she published.

38 minutes ago, turf toe said:

well I can't believe we handled the WR situation well, we went without even trying to add in another the caliber of Adams since the day we took him in round 2 of 2014, using a 2nd rounder on a receiver every 2 or 3 drafts worked very well, when Jennings wanted to much we had others to rely on with Jones, Nelson and Cobb, and then Adams.

What?

Adams was a 2nd round pick, #53. 

In 2022 we used pick 34 on Christian Watson

In 2023 we used pick 50 on Jayden Reed

Weird time to say we haven't tried adding someone "the same caliber" as Adams.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You just did. So the world has that going for it. I'm not familiar with her or that comment she made, but it sounds like someone I have no interest in reading if that was something she published.

I'm not calling anyone a liar but it's definitely something you'd like to hear in full context. 

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What?

There was a particular gap in that practice between Adams and Watson. Biggest names drafted during that period were Amari and Ty Montgomery, and those were third rounders. If you wanna include TE you can add Steenberger and Deguara to the mix- also third rounders.

Edited by Zycho32

1 hour ago, turf toe said:

Gute caused us to go with a completely inexperienced WR group, which caused zero bargaining power to retain Adams on a cheaper deal ( may not have worked anyway) point is we had zilch to fall back on other then Lazard, who's claim to fame was being the most experienced #3 receiver we had last year, sure the situation is improved with Watson, Doubs, now Reed and the TE's, but this should have been happening every other draft or so since 2014.

just my 2 cents 

The fact we found Adams is round 2 was an anomaly. He was the best WR in the league for a few years, still top 3 now. 

But the idea we didn't try and add to the room is ridiculous. Also, we had Cobb on the roster for a lot of those years after Adams. In fact, when Adams got here the room was stacked. Jordy Nelson was on the roster through 2017. Randall Cobb was on the roster through 2018. Cobb and Nelson were being paid quite well, why would we put a ton of capital into the position like that during those years. It makes no sense. 

In 2018 draft we grabbed 3 WR, that would have been Nelson's first year gone. In 2019 draft we had high hopes for MVS and St. Brown, and signed Lazard. 

No, we should not invest in the WR room the way we have in the past two years, every other year. 2 - 3 WRs play at a time. There are 20 plus other positions that need attention as well. WR is quite far down the last of priorities after: QB, OT, EDGE Rushers, CB and interior linemen. 

Your expectations are not realistic and would leave other positions with the cupboards bare. Not counting 2023, we've drafted 11 WRs, that does not include free agent acquisitions. The position has not been ignored. 

2nd Christian Watson

4th Romeo Doub

7th Samori Toure

3rd Amari Rodgers

4th J'Mon Moore

5th MVS

5th E St. Brown

5th DeAngelo Yancey

7th: Malachi Moore

5th Trevor Davis

Ty Montgomery

Edited by Old Guy

20 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

There was a particular gap in that practice between Adams and Watson. Biggest names drafted during that period were Amari and Ty Montgomery, and those were third rounders. If you wanna include TE you can add Steenberger and Deguara to the mix- also third rounders.

That was a definite miss by the FO, not having another quality pass catcher in place with the reality of 17 leaving becoming more likely. I do believe we we interested in Aiyuk, Jefferson and others but we never got in the position to draft them. The obvious hindsight move would be Tee Higgins instead of Love.  If Jordan even is a decent starter, it will be hard to say he was not the better choice. Last year had more issues than just a young WR corps but I think the offense would have been better with a vet with more physical talent than Lazard and Cobb. 

I mean when looking at the "Packers haven't taken a first round WR" thing.  It's elucidating to look back at drafts more than 3 years old to figure out which WR the Packers should have taken in the first round instead of the guy they picked, just with the benefit of hindsight.  Here's 2020-2010.

• Like at this point it's obvious that you don't take Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr. instead of Jordan Love.
  • There were no WRs taken between Gary and Savage, but I guess you could say they should have taken Deebo instead of Savage but not the two WRs who actually went in the first (Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry).
  • Obviously you don't take DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley instead of Jaire.
  • The pick they should have made in 2017 was obviously Watt (who is melanin-deficient) instead of King.
  • Michael Thomas was good and all, but he went one pick before the Packers 2nd round pick, and I don't think you'd rather have him than Clark.
  • Damarious Randall didn't work out, but the WRs selected between him and Rollins were: Devin Smith, Dorial Green-Beckham, and Devin Funchess.
  • Obviously you don't take Kelvin Benjamin, Marqise Lee, Jordan Matthews, or Paul Richardson instead of HHCD because you got Davante at pick #53.
  • I guess Hopkins instead of Datone would have been smart.
  • Two WRs from 2012 made a pro bowl- Alshon Jeffrey who did not receive a 2nd contract from the Bears, and TY Hilton who was a 3rd round pick, so you could have taken him instead of Worthy.
  • Sherrod didn't work out because of an injury but here are the WRs taken between Sherrod and Cobb: Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little.

The Packers haven't exactly been proven incorrect in "not taking first round WRs" in this time.  Every decision except Nuk/Datone was defensible.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

What?

that is 7 years of mostly low floor receivers that tend to take a couple seasons of grooming up, my issue is none of those receivers kept a DC up nights to scheme to stop, Ted used the 2nd or 3rd round to take 5 very good receivers in a 7 year span, and both Nelson and Cobb where on a down hill slide in 2016, 017 and 018 exposed our weak receiver situation, fast forward to last year and the loss o f Adams and Lazard was the most experienced guy we had, he was our #1, Watson nearly passed him up missing 4 or 5 games as a rookie, a offense needs more fire power then that