NFL News & Notes

Leader

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

Assuming this is accurate, I have to believe every team in the league will be telling the KR to fair catch every KO.  If that's how it plays out, it's only a matter of time before kickoffs are removed from the game altogether.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Assuming this is accurate, I have to believe every team in the league will be telling the KR to fair catch every KO.  If that's how it plays out, it's only a matter of time before kickoffs are removed from the game altogether.

Pelissero is usually pretty accurate.

11 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems to be the direction they’re heading. It is the play with the highest rate of injury from what I understand so I see the rationale. Still, it can be damn entertaining to see a nice return and of course this happens once GB is getting its ST going in the right direction and found an electric return man. 

Edited by Refugee

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No.  They are being smart.  They are scared of Nixon!  This should now be called the "Nixon" rule.

Nixon's FC technique will be to reach up over his head to catch the ball, so it will still be exciting.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But let's be clear.  Dude was a stud for 2 years.  Injured for a year.  He was 3 years into a 4 year deal.  He probably wanted more money, very high end money, and we weren't going to give it to him due to age and injury.  Oh, and we were not in a great cap situation.  Either he needed to go, or P needed to go.  P was healthier and I dare say, less expensive.

Business move.  He can feel slighted.  But in the end, it was business.  Even if he back was just fine, I feel like GB would have had a hard time giving him a new deal and keeping him around.

I said it at the time and it's doubly true now, keeping Preston over him was a huge mistake, even considering the back injury risk.  He was actually cheaper than Preston's deal.