NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, R T said:

You have switched up from 5th round to 4th round on the fly, but the Packers have mined a lot of talent through the years from the 4th round and that wouldn't be a good tradeoff for a revolving door RB room. If it was taking a flyer on drafting an RB late every year in the 5th-7th I could ride with that idea, but honestly don't think that is even necessary. 

I just grabbed 4th at random.  I was trying to avoid any type of hindsight accusations in my selections.  I honestly don't mind anything 3rd through 7th.  I just don't want anything to do with paying a second RB contract when the return is not worth the difference in investment.  

I wouldn't pick any specific round if I were to actually try this.  In 2022, both Romeo Doubs and Zach Tom were two of my guys, I wouldn't take any RB over them.  In 2023, my RB was Israel Abanikanda, he went in the 5th. 

If I redo the drafting for the 5th round it would have been:

2019 Ryquell Armstead  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsRy00.htm

2020  Jason Huntley https:https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsRy00.htm

2021  Kenneth Gainwell https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GainKe00.htm

2022  Tyler Allgeier https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AllgTy00.htm

2023 Israel Abanikanda 

Not as good, obviously.  But I love Kenny Gainwell and Israel Abanikanda.  And Tyler Allgeier has some pretty impressive stats in his rookie season, finishing 5th in the Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.

Edited by ThatJerkDave

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just grabbed 4th at random.  I was trying to avoid any type of hindsight accusations in my selections.  I honestly don't mind anything 3rd through 7th.  I just don't want anything to do with paying a second RB contract when the return is not worth the difference in investment.  

I wouldn't pick any specific round if I were to actually try this.  In 2022, both Romeo Doubs and Zach Tom were two of my guys, I wouldn't take any RB over them.  In 2023, my RB was Israel Abanikanda, he went in the 5th. 

If I redo the drafting for the 5th round it would have been:

2019 Ryquell Armstead  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsRy00.htm

2020  Jason Huntley https:https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsRy00.htm

2021  Kenneth Gainwell https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GainKe00.htm

2022  Tyler Allgeier https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AllgTy00.htm

2023 Israel Abanikanda 

Not as good, obviously.  But I love Kenny Gainwell and Israel Abanikanda.  And Tyler Allgeier has some pretty impressive stats in his rookie season, finishing 5th in the Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.

What's interesting is that we don't even know if they're not as good... because most of them haven't been given an opportunity.

I would absolutely put your theory to the test. I think there's solid merit there.

29 minutes ago, Sandy said:

What's interesting is that we don't even know if they're not as good... because most of them haven't been given an opportunity.

I would absolutely put your theory to the test. I think there's solid merit there.

The real problem comes in the practice.  Aaron Jones is a special player.  He has had reduced carries, in part because he is a slighter player, and in part because Jamaal Williams and AJ Dillon are pretty good.  Using this method, you have to be willing to jettison Aaron Jones when he comes up FA.  He is a very good player, and a very likeable guy.  The next guy may not be as good in either aspect, and there will be some push back.  You can probably get away with it, if you have a very good overall team, and you don't have too many misses in the RB room.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The real problem comes in the practice.  Aaron Jones is a special player.  He has had reduced carries, in part because he is a slighter player, and in part because Jamaal Williams and AJ Dillon are pretty good.  Using this method, you have to be willing to jettison Aaron Jones when he comes up FA.  He is a very good player, and a very likeable guy.  The next guy may not be as good in either aspect, and there will be some push back.  You can probably get away with it, if you have a very good overall team, and you don't have too many misses in the RB room.  

When Trevon Diggs was drafted, he said his brother told him there were like six great WR's in the NFL and there wasn't much difference between the next 300. You want to really be cutting edge, do this with WR's. Draft 2 every year and always have a room full on their rookie contracts. Eliminate paying average WR's second contract at 10-15M a year, that would be some real savings. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

When Trevon Diggs was drafted, he said his brother told him there were like six great WR's in the NFL and there wasn't much difference between the next 300. You want to really be cutting edge, do this with WR's. Draft 2 every year and always have a room full on their rookie contracts. Eliminate paying average WR's second contract at 10-15M a year, that would be some real savings. 

I agree with this as well as the RB scenario. We sort of tried that one year with MVS, St. Brown and J'Mon Moore. MVS sort of turned out. 

I'm OK with the occasional 2nd round WR, never in round 1 for me though. 

IMO, the only positions you draft in round 1 are: QB, LT, EDGE, CB and elite DT. 

4 hours ago, R T said:

To some extent, we are in the midst of that now while paying our proven and very versatile RB.  By the time he is out, we may pay the best of the WRs and be on to the next search for another top notch RB and hopefully young pass catchers. I don’t think the goal is to always jettison top talent, it’s to identify who is truly worth a top contract but let them walk if they are not. Hopefully you’ve got young talent at other premium positions cycling in and can find the right balance. If you always let your guys walk, you may be in the unenviable position of not having enough talent while watching a guy you recently let go tear it up elsewhere. This will put the GM on the hot seat with the fans but also with the locker room. If there is zero loyalty and team continuity, guys will act accordingly. 

Edited by Refugee

On 6/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, Old Guy said:

I agree with this as well as the RB scenario. We sort of tried that one year with MVS, St. Brown and J'Mon Moore. MVS sort of turned out. 

I'm OK with the occasional 2nd round WR, never in round 1 for me though. 

IMO, the only positions you draft in round 1 are: QB, LT, EDGE, CB and elite DT. 

So if Sean Taylor 2.0 came out he wouldn’t be worthy of a 1st?

33 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

So if Sean Taylor 2.0 came out he wouldn’t be worthy of a 1st?

Positional value would tell you not to go in that direction. IF nobody at the premium positions are available, trade down and get extra picks.

He was a heck of a player, but his position makes his value a lot less. 

Edited by Old Guy

I think the thing about non-premiums positions with premium picks, is that it's generally acceptable to take a non-premium position guy over a premium position guy of a lower tier.  Like Frank Ragnow (a center) was unarguably a better pick than Isaiah Wynn (a left tackle.)  The actual grades you give guys should matter more than what position they play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the thing about non-premiums positions with premium picks, is that it's generally acceptable to take a non-premium position guy over a premium position guy of a lower tier.  Like Frank Ragnow (a center) was unarguably a better pick than Isaiah Wynn (a left tackle.)  The actual grades you give guys should matter more than what position they play.

The grades should factor the position in with the grade imo

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I also think picking in the first half of the first round changes things a bit. If you’re taking the absolute best safety prospect at 28 when you really have a lower grade on the tackles that are leftover, get the BPA. Also, I’m pretty sure if GB was in position to take Jefferson or even Aiyuk, we would have. Opportunity has to meet the reality of the moment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I also think picking in the first half of the first round changes things a bit. If you’re taking the absolute best safety prospect at 28 when you really have a lower grade on the tackles that are leftover, get the BPA. Also, I’m pretty sure if GB was in position to take Jefferson or even Aiyuk, we would have. Opportunity has to meet the reality of the moment.

Rationalization, giving people the power to believe whatever they want to believe as the truth. 

34 minutes ago, R T said:

Rationalization, giving people the power to believe whatever they want to believe as the truth. 

It was pretty obvious we needed a plan for WR other than DA.  There were definitely rumors we wanted in on those guys.  The truth is they were out of our reach in both of those years. The other truth is, no one outside of the war room truly know so you can believe whatever version you like.