NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

What if they start changing the pay scale of all RBs?

Base every contract on having a 1000 yard season.  If the guy is signed for 10 million dollars per season, and runs 700 yards, he gets 70% of that 10 million.  But if he runs for 1300 yards, he gets 130% of that 10 million.  Have the cap hits roll over to the next season.  So, in the above example, the RB's cap hit is 10 million effectively through the whole year, then any extra or left over money is applied to the following season's salary cap.

Add in bonuses, so these guys aren't working for free.  

Obviously I didn't include pass catching, blocking, or STs.  That can either be accounted for in their bonus, or perhaps base the contract on percentage of snaps played vs yardage.  I am just trying to get to a place that is fair for both a productive RB, who is underpaid, and the team that is probably overpaying a RB that used to be productive.

Why are we trying so hard to get RBs paid more? Nobody does this for Longsnappers or Punters. 

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why are we trying so hard to get RBs paid more? Nobody does this for Longsnappers or Punters. 

What are you going to do when any athlete worth a damn in college refuses to play RB? Force your receivers at the pro level to carry the ball as well? Why would I want to subject my body to extra workload without compensation if I'm a receiver? We just going to stop running the football and make football 11 on 11 with 7 on 7 rules? 

The game doesn't need punters or long-snappers. The game needs runningbacks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Can't agree with this.  Barkley, Jacobs and Pollard would all have been far better off hitting the open market vs being tagged.

Dalvin Cook is as good as any of those guys. Let's see what he gets. Betting the reason he has not signed yet is there isn't a lot of money available to him. I think that will be a pretty good bellwether deal for where this is going. 

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Carr released, Waller traded, and now Jacobs seems likely to holdout.

Whatever Davante Adams thought he was getting into when he signed with the Raiders, that plan is in shambles.

It was a ****ty run organization prior to Adams signing and nothing has changed. 

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What are you going to do when any athlete worth a damn in college refuses to play RB? Force your receivers at the pro level to carry the ball as well? Why would I want to subject my body to extra workload without compensation if I'm a receiver? We just going to stop running the football and make football 11 on 11 with 7 on 7 rules? 

There won't be as much of a drought at the position as you seem to be fearing. You'll see another layer at the top shaved off(Madden equivalence of never seeing a RB at 90 or above overall), but this is a position that is more replaceable than most. Especially in college, which sees too many newcomers from High Schools that can't pass worth a darn and players who will still jump into RB rather than be 6th or lower on the depth chart at WR, especially the ones below six feet in height.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Whatever Davante Adams thought he was getting into when he signed with the Raiders, that plan is in shambles.

In an alternate Spider-Verse, we extended Adams, traded Rodgers and made some killer additions to the team with the draft picks we acquired which lead to a historic run by the Packers not seen in years. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

The obvious answer is to have a one RB exception contract for salary cap purposes. Say 50% premium to the franchise tag # what does not count against the cap on a per year average. 

So the team gets its full cap space Allotment and 1 RB contract only counts 50% against the cap? 

Who is supplying the money for that other 50%?   The government?

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If a decent football player's choice is ride the pine as a 3rd string LB or be a starting RB in college, they are probably going the RB route.  If that then translates into a NFL contract vs not sniffing the NFL, again, I think they probably take that chance.

50 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If a decent football player's choice is ride the pine as a 3rd string LB or be a starting RB in college, they are probably going the RB route.  If that then translates into a NFL contract vs not sniffing the NFL, again, I think they probably take that chance.

My point exactly, we're going to start having 3rd string LB caliber athletes playing as starting RBs in the NFL. That good for the game?

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My point exactly, we're going to start having 3rd string LB caliber athletes playing as starting RBs in the NFL. That good for the game?

I think you are underselling those LB.

Is the overall game quality going to suffer not having top tier/ elite RB?

I don't think so