NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why hasn't MLB and SS deflated as well?

not sure.  maybe NFL teams don't view them as being as easily replaceable as the RB position.  might be that most starting safeties/MLB are not platooned to the degree that RB's are.  

39 minutes ago, squire12 said:

do you really think you can get 51% of the NFLPA to support something that really helps may 30-50 players??

I think for the sake of the game going forward they would. Of course, I may be giving them too much credit to understand what could become of the game if they didn't do something. 

Then again, with the more they learn about head trauma, the game as we know it is likely to be a thing of the past in the next decade anyway. 

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think for the sake of the game going forward they would. Of course, I may be giving them too much credit to understand what could become of the game if they didn't do something. 

Then again, with the more they learn about head trauma, the game as we know it is likely to be a thing of the past in the next decade anyway. 

these current players in the NFLPA have a projected career well short of that timeline.  Just about anyone advising them would be saying to make decisions on voting for these types of proposals with their best financial/contractual/monetary earnings in mind.   

That is why it has been hard for the NFLPA to get a majority support for any CBA item that impacts a small % of them.  The vast majority of the NFLPA are 2-4 year career players.  they only get 1 contract, so anything that can raise their league minimum salary is in their best interest.   the owners side knows this and the counter proposals often has benefits in salary raises for that large majority of players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We haven't seen the talent migrate from the RB position yet.

I guess we will have to wait 5-6 years for this to be something that actually happens or is more akin to the "sky is falling being an NFL RB talent drain" 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Why hasn't MLB and SS deflated as well?

Teams are stupid?

But for real, those positions have deflated relative to other positions, they just haven't completely bottomed out like RB. 

MLB and SS also have MUCH shelf lives. They're dependent positions, but you can be dependent for a decade and not **** anything up. RBs don't last that long. 

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why are we trying so hard to get RBs paid more? Nobody does this for Longsnappers or Punters. 

I have been a "don't pay RBs" guy for a long time.  But at the same time, I can see that having a good RB is important.  He doesn't have to be dynamic, but he can't be bad.  I was just brainstorming ways to pay the productive RBs while not scaring teams away from more expensive vets.  If every team was run by GM Dave, there would be a hell of a line of unemployed 26 year old RBs, and as the money dries up, so will the talent.

So many mediocre QB's under pressure a lot. Do high pressure rates make for mediocre QB's, or are top QB's better at avoiding pressure?

highest % of passes thrown under pressure:
46% - Justin Fields
45%
44%
43% - Daniel Jones
42% - Taylor Heinicke
41% - Davis Mills
40% - Zach Wilson
39%
38%
37% - Ryan Tannehill
36% - Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Justin Herbert, Derek Carr
35% - Marcus Mariota 34% - Lamar Jackson, Geno Smith, Josh Allen, Matt Ryan
33% - Carson Wentz, Patrick Mahomes, Jacoby Brissett
32% - Matthew Stafford, Kenny Pickett
31% - Dak Prescott
30% - Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, Jalen Hurts
29% - Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Jimmy Garoppolo, Andy Dalton
28%
27% - Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Burrow
26% - Tua Tagovailoa
25%
24%
23%
22%
21%
20% - Tom Brady
(2022, minimum 200 attempts)

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

So many mediocre QB's under pressure a lot. Do high pressure rates make for mediocre QB's, or are top QB's better at avoiding pressure?

The biggest factor is bad QBs put themselves behind the chains frequently.

They spend 15% of their snaps on 3rd and long, which is when NFL teams blitz the most. 

Denzel Mims is being waived by the Jets unless someone gives them a draft pick. I'd put in a waiver claim for him and kick the tires. We are very young in that room. Unless this kid is a bad locker room guy, bring him in if opportunity arises. 

Remember when one of the reasons people thought Rodgers to the Jets was such a good match because of the wealth of talent the Jets had at the skill positions?  Since people had that thought they replaced Elijah Moore and Denzel Mims with Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb.

Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are good, and Lazard is a very good blocking WR, but is there anything else exciting on the Jets offense?

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Remember when one of the reasons people thought Rodgers to the Jets was such a good match because of the wealth of talent the Jets had at the skill positions?  Since people had that thought they replaced Elijah Moore and Denzel Mims with Allen Lazard and Randall Cobb.

Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall are good, and Lazard is a very good blocking WR, but is there anything else exciting on the Jets offense?

Prime Adams >> Wilson

Jones = Hall

Lazard = Lazard

2 years younger Cobb > 2 years older Cobb

Comes down to......

MVS vs Corey Davis

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Prime Adams >> Wilson

Jones = Hall

Lazard = Lazard

2 years younger Cobb > 2 years older Cobb

Comes down to......

MVS vs Corey Davis

You also have to consider that the Jets OL is probably not as good as the Packers was during Rodgers heyday.  Their guards are pretty good, but their center is a rookie and in terms of their tackles Becton is unreliable and Duane Brown is nobody's idea of a solution.