NFL News & Notes

Leader

12 hours ago, Leader said:

They're deranged.....

That's the kind of stuff that I do... minus the F-bombs and middle fingers.  When I see an opposing fan, usually I will say something like: "hey Mets! Boooooo!" then smile at them.  Good natured ribbing.  The video was much more mean spirited.  But tbh, I expected them to be throwing stuff at them to warrant a video.

As for Mattison, there are two options:  1.  Ignore it.  Probably the best option.  2.  Post a screen cap and tag the sender.  A multitude of followers will give the troll some of it back.  Acting all butt hurt only reinforces that it is getting a rise out of you and encourages further harassment because that was the reaction that they were looking for.   

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That's the kind of stuff that I do... minus the F-bombs and middle fingers.  When I see an opposing fan, usually I will say something like: "hey Mets! Boooooo!" then smile at them.  Good natured ribbing.  The video was much more mean spirited.  But tbh, I expected them to be throwing stuff at them to warrant a video.

My friends and I used to go to an away ge every year, we expected to get some crap, and we did - but it was almost always what you describe, tailgating beforehand some guys would start talking crap about how GB was overrated and was going to get smoked, maybe have a few unkind words for the city itself (my buddy told one guy "go nuts, we're from Milwaukee" he said "that's just as bad!" which cracked us up) and then offer us drinks. Good times when everyone realizes it's just entertainment and has fun with it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

My friends and I used to go to an away ge every year, we expected to get some crap, and we did - but it was almost always what you describe, tailgating beforehand some guys would start talking crap about how GB was overrated and was going to get smoked, maybe have a few unkind words for the city itself (my buddy told one guy "go nuts, we're from Milwaukee" he said "that's just as bad!" which cracked us up) and then offer us drinks. Good times when everyone realizes it's just entertainment and has fun with it.

And you know what else I do? After any game, I thank the opposing fans for making the trip to my city.  Whether it was Mizzou or St Louis, I thank them for coming and spending their money here.  Their 20 dollar tip went to some waiter's car payment, that they otherwise wouldn't have had.  

• Like 3

Ive been to like 18 stadiums, went to the 03 packers eagles playoffs game.  Had buffalo wings thrown at me. Eagles fans were running a prank on visitors with a 20 dollar bill glued to the ground. Police encouraged us to take off packers gear on subway after the game.

Got out safely. Could have been worse (violence, beer poured on me, a turd in the 20) so feel fortunate. Still, Never going back. Worst sportsmanship ive encountered for sure

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I have had some of the best food I’ve ever ate as a visiting fan at away games. Agree that there’s some spirited banter but that’s what makes is fans but a ton of fans are just interested in having a good conversation with other fans over some grilled food and beer! 16 years running I haven’t walked into Soldier Field in Packers gear without getting offered a beer!

Good experiences as an away fan:

Minnesota Vikings

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Cincinnati Bengals

Tennessee Titans

Denver Broncos

New Orleans Saints

New England Patriots

Dallas Cowboys

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

Arizona Cardinals

Poor experiences as an away fan(all sports)

San Francisco 49ers/Giants

Cleveland Browns

New York Yankees/Mets/Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Notre Dame Football

Duke Basketball

Eagles fans are giving the proper impression to away fans - please don't come back you will not enjoy yourself. 

But I don't see anything out of line with cursing and flipping them the bird.  They're just expressing themselves - we don't want you here in our stadium and you aren't welcome.  We don't like your team and by extension, we don't want you here supporting them to beat our team.  We want our team to win, not for its opponents to be supported and beat our team.

I guess you could say it's a video of unpolite drunk people?  Half of whom are smiling, and none of whom would put those fans in any sort of danger.

Lotta pearl clutching from some purported football fans here.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Wish packer fans were more like eagles fans tbh.

Eagles/Philly fans get a really weird rep.

I've brought friends wearing other team's colors to Lambeau (9ers, Rams). Of course they got some good natured heckling but both times they were shocked by how cool everyone was and we were all sharing food/beers at the tailgate. I like the kill 'em with kindness approach. Unless of course someone wants to be belligerent and tries to start it. Then it's fair game. Philly can fan how they want and I get a kick out of that, too. I'm good as long as no idiots are crossing the line into violence, which does happen, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I've brought friends wearing other team's colors to Lambeau (9ers, Rams). Of course they got some good natured heckling but both times they were shocked by how cool everyone was and we were all sharing food/beers at the tailgate. I like the kill 'em with kindness approach. Unless of course someone wants to be belligerent and tries to start it. Then it's fair game. Philly can fan how they want and I get a kick out of that, too. I'm good as long as no idiots are crossing the line into violence, which does happen, unfortunately.

Bottom line Packers/GB are reliant on people visiting the town specifically for the sporting event in a way that Philly just isn't.

Philly can make it unbearable for opposing fans to visit the stadium and then I promise you it's pretty civil in the bar afterwards.  Minnesota is a weird one because they aren't really a rival, more of a Philly doormat tbh.  Usually out of division teams get a softer reception, and AFC teams outside of NE or NYJ don't really rate for Philly.

Mostly they are just hating on NYG and Dallas.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Bottom line Packers/GB are reliant on people visiting the town specifically for the sporting event in a way that Philly just isn't.

Philly can make it unbearable for opposing fans to visit the stadium and then I promise you it's pretty civil in the bar afterwards.  Minnesota is a weird one because they aren't really a rival, more of a Philly doormat tbh.  Usually out of division teams get a softer reception, and AFC teams outside of NE or NYJ don't really rate for Philly.

Mostly they are just hating on NYG and Dallas.

To some extent that's true, but there are plenty of other large cities, larger than Philly, that don't get the same rep.  These are same fans that booed Santa and the under the stadium jail is routinely stocked.  I've never been to an Eagles game, so I won't comment as a firsthand observer.  Like most things in the wide world, it all depends on the individual circumstances.  At the same game someone has the time of their life, someone else ends up in the hospital or jail.