NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Was anything confirmed about Tillman tipping off the coach/club?  

I mean, I get it, their DC could have been a sick dude.  Allegedly.

But how does an agent tip off some "raid" that is supposedly happening?  It isn't like he works in the federal government....oh wait.  Answered my own question.

Probably mostly BS.  BUT Tillman is an FBI agent.  That much is true.  

27 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Probably mostly BS.  BUT Tillman is an FBI agent.  That much is true.  

If his house was indeed raided, you’d think at least one neighbor or passerby would’ve hopped on their phone and filmed some footage of the FBI’s presence esp in this day and age of social media. Maybe his neighborhood has an ironclad HOA clause lol. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Can someone catch me up on what the heck happened in Chicago?  I go fishing for one day and see that the DC resigned (not re-signed), supposedly his house was "raided" and so was the facility?  And somehow, a former Bear is an agent who alerted the team?

Just so much to unpack there.

Feels/sounds like a the DC was into some very sick sh.....  Authorities came for his computer as well as his work computer.

How does an agent have the authority to tip off the organization?

Then stuff is stolen from the stadium?

I heard he wants to be the defensive coordinator, so we arranged the raid. 

Not really, I just made that up. 

17 hours ago, Refugee said:

Living out here and being a confirmed 9ers hater,  I’ve watched a lot of his games. I kept waiting for him to crumble but he has gotten better. He can make quick decisions and throw on the move when things break down, he’s legit. When he went out with a serious elbow injury I felt bad for him because he’s living a dream as such a longshot and I figured the setback would get him off track. He’s jumped right back into the saddle and is not giving up that job. Having a great team and good system helps. With that being said, I hope they crash and burn yet again, just not due to injury. 

Perfect illustration currently running of how ability to read and react quickly (Purdy) trumps athletic ability with a slow processor (Fields).  You can run a 4.3 forty and throw lasers, but if you can't take in info via your eyes and trigger it into throws quickly, you can't be a winning NFL QB. Meanwhile, if you're able to take what the eyes see and trigger throws quicker than most humans, you don't need to be athletically off the charts to succeed. It's not a matter of intelligence, rather reaction time. The Giants blitzed Purdy on over 85% of his throws Thursday night and he responded with arguably his best statistical performance in the NFL. Quickly throwing accurate passes within a split second of spotting the closest rushing defender. Fields on the other hand, holds the ball longer than any other QB in the league (it's not the OL, he has the time) and routinely fails to see wide open 2nd and 3rd reads because he never gets to scanning them and/or when he finally sees them is too slow to fire.

It's a far more valuable trait to react rapidly to what the eyes see than to win the underwear olympics. There's a test now for measuring mental reaction time and unsurprisingly, Purdy aced it. You're gonna hear a lot more about that test going forward and once it's embraced throughout the league, there are going to be fewer busts at the QB going forward because of it.

As an aside I don't know if Jordan Love was ever tested in this manner. But I would leave open the thought that being given 3 years to learn and offense and adjust to the speed of the NFL probably goes a long way towards "slowing things down" and helping boost the chances of success for any QB. However, whether given years to develop or not, I still think a QB needs a good foundation of a quick mind, and believe Love has it.

• Like 3

Btw, this week in Bears land Justin Fields decided he's going back to one read and then run. Great boost for his fantasy owners who rely on his rushing stats, but also marks the moment when the organization gave up all hope of salvaging him. The current regime (which didn't draft him) were trying to get him to be able to read defenses and find 2nd and 3rd reads. But in Fields' words they were making him "think too much". 

The Bears will once again be drafting their "next franchise QB" with their top pick in the 24 draft. We just have to hope they don't hold 1.1 and get Williams.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Btw, this week in Bears land Justin Fields decided he's going back to one read and then run. Great boost for his fantasy owners who rely on his rushing stats, but also marks the moment when the organization gave up all hope of salvaging him. The current regime (which didn't draft him) were trying to get him to be able to read defenses and find 2nd and 3rd reads. But in Fields' words they were making him "think too much". 

The Bears will once again be drafting their "next franchise QB" with their top pick in the 24 draft. We just have to hope they don't hold 1.1 and get Williams.

“We just have to hope they don't hold 1.1 and get Williams.”

Caleb Williams:👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Perfect illustration currently running of how ability to read and react quickly (Purdy) trumps athletic ability with a slow processor (Fields).  ...

I'm guessing this can be improved with experience, but I'm guessing it's largely built-in computer-processing speed.  I think the importance of processing speed is even more intense for baseball hitting.  QB has ages to process, compared to a hitter differentiating 97mph 4-seam vs 93 cutter vs 88 conventional slider vs 86 sweeper slider.  

We'll see with Love, time will tell.  Processing speed is paramount.  Accuracy is kinda crucial too!  Not sure how either will prove out over a larger sample size.  Optimistic for sure, on both areas.  

Edited by craig
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Perfect illustration currently running of how ability to read and react quickly (Purdy) trumps athletic ability with a slow processor (Fields).  You can run a 4.3 forty and throw lasers, but if you can't take in info via your eyes and trigger it into throws quickly, you can't be a winning NFL QB. Meanwhile, if you're able to take what the eyes see and trigger throws quicker than most humans, you don't need to be athletically off the charts to succeed. It's not a matter of intelligence, rather reaction time. The Giants blitzed Purdy on over 85% of his throws Thursday night and he responded with arguably his best statistical performance in the NFL. Quickly throwing accurate passes within a split second of spotting the closest rushing defender. Fields on the other hand, holds the ball longer than any other QB in the league (it's not the OL, he has the time) and routinely fails to see wide open 2nd and 3rd reads because he never gets to scanning them and/or when he finally sees them is too slow to fire.

It's a far more valuable trait to react rapidly to what the eyes see than to win the underwear olympics. There's a test now for measuring mental reaction time and unsurprisingly, Purdy aced it. You're gonna hear a lot more about that test going forward and once it's embraced throughout the league, there are going to be fewer busts at the QB going forward because of it.

As an aside I don't know if Jordan Love was ever tested in this manner. But I would leave open the thought that being given 3 years to learn and offense and adjust to the speed of the NFL probably goes a long way towards "slowing things down" and helping boost the chances of success for any QB. However, whether given years to develop or not, I still think a QB needs a good foundation of a quick mind, and believe Love has it.

I've been banging the S2 cog test for awhile now too. Most important data for a QB prospect IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This is the Bears. I think you are going to see Bagent before too long. I hope he 'looks the part' and fools the Bears into believing. Given their ineptitude at the quarterback position, a little improvement will excite the fan base and maybe fool the fools running the joint to stick with him.

I just don't see many wins on the horizon for this team. They are not that talented across the board. 

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've been banging the S2 cog test for awhile now too. Most important data for a QB prospect IMO.

I know the wonderlic was a junk test and no nothing about the S2, but I definitely believe that provided minimum physical assets to be able to make all the throws, that the ability to process reads is the most important ability a QB needs. 

Touch is also extremely underrated. People talk about Favre rifling it in so hard he'd break fingers like it's a good thing and I still have trouble wrapping my head around it. Sure his arm strength was impressive but doing that makes those passes harder to catch. Not saying float it in there but just because you have the strength doesn't mean you should rifle everything at 9-10.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

Things have come full circle....from the stadium that routinely covered up the top tier of seats because they were empty....to cough up the cash or we'll take our economic juggernaut someplace else.

In the case of Jacksonville, I'm not as sympathetic.  They chose to bring this team in and build them a stadium on the site of the old gator bowl.

If they don't want to pony up for a new stadium after 22 years... well them's the rub, it was a good run, a couple playoff wins.