NFL News & Notes

Leader

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd like to be the first to wish McDermott well in his future endeavors, if in fact that post was true.

Dunne has a new 3-part feature on Go Long that rips McDermott 6 ways to Sunday.  I assume that quote was part of it.

Edited by Mazrimiv

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't see the outrage?

Why shouldn't we examine "successful" terrorist attacks? I guarantee you that the people in charge of preventing this respect the perpetrators enough to ask real questions like this.

And why shouldn't it be used as an example? He obviously isn't condoning the intent. It's the task execution that's being examined.

I really can't respect people who feign outrage over stuff like this. Like, try to understand the point here, people.

It needs to be in the right setting of course as people do have that right to be upset and outraged these days over anything. But totally agreed the sentiment behind the message was not to condone but the example of the strategy. I quite agree though Incog. 

I think common sense would tell anyone that using the 9/11 attack as an example of great teamwork is a terrible idea.  Did McDermott also discuss how prepared and coordinated the kids who attacked Columbine were?  Heck, why not go for broke and discuss how organized the Nazi's were.  Jesus.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think common sense would tell anyone that using the 9/11 attack as an example of great teamwork is a terrible idea.  Did McDermott also discuss how prepared and coordinated the kids who attacked Columbine were?  Heck, why not go for broke and discuss how organized the Nazi's were.  Jesus.

Those things should all be talked about.

Why are we so afraid to address reality? I don't get it. Don't conflate discussion with celebrating.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why are we so afraid to address reality? I don't get it. Don't conflate discussion with celebrating.

Certainly okay to talk about the event or the topic in an academic setting or maybe when you're sitting around the dinner table with family and friends. But if I walked into my firm tomorrow and said "gather around guys, we need to talk about better communication...think about those hijackers on 9/11 and how they communicated...be more like them," I should be laughed at, ridiculed, and maybe even disciplined. It's even more bizarre in a sports setting when you're talking to a bunch of mid-20s athletes. Can't really find anything to defend about McDermott's decision-making here, and if nothing else, he looks like a complete and utter moron. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes in an academic setting but if I walk in to my work and use 9/11 terrorists as an example of teamwork I would be at best straight to HR... In the whole of history you have so many more apt and frankly more impressive displays of teamwork. First responders after 9/11, DDay WW2, Spartan Battle of Thermopylae, Battle of Guagmela, hell if you wanted to go middle eastern as a theme the battle of hattin and frankly Saladin in general would be a great example. That is just without thinking. So dumb.... 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Certainly okay to talk about the event or the topic in an academic setting or maybe when you're sitting around the dinner table with family and friends. But if I walked into my firm tomorrow and said "gather around guys, we need to talk about better communication...think about those hijackers on 9/11 and how they communicated...be more like them," I should be laughed at, ridiculed, and maybe even disciplined. It's even more bizarre in a sports setting when you're talking to a bunch of mid-20s athletes. Can't really find anything to spend about McDermott decision-making here, and if nothing else, he looks like a complete and utter moron. 

I'm not arguing that it's not socially unacceptable. I just don't think it should be. Openly talking about this stuff more would be helpful. Making it less taboo so that it is not that "distasteful".

I get that it's weird because he should know it wouldn't be received well. I'm not arguing that. Just overall feel things would be better if we didn't feign so much outrage all the time.

It's not that big of a deal, the point got across, someone refused the awkwardness, people remembered it because it was strange. But people will be "outraged" by this and it's ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I don't see the outrage?

Why shouldn't we examine "successful" terrorist attacks? I guarantee you that the people in charge of preventing this respect the perpetrators enough to ask real questions like this.

And why shouldn't it be used as an example? He obviously isn't condoning the intent. It's the task execution that's being examined.

I really can't respect people who feign outrage over stuff like this. Like, try to understand the point here, people.

Come together to work as a team, just like the people who needlessly ended the lives of 3000 people. Having the ability to think about what you're saying and agreeing that this was fine is actually worse than saying it off the cusp. Woof is all I can say.

• Like 3

The comparison is abhorrent, in any context. I'm shocked this took 4 years to come out in the public. I understand what is said in the locker room stays in the locker room, but there are exceptions to that. 

I couldn't play for the guy after those comments. Disappointing nobody was brave enough to speak up then. 

44 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Come together to work as a team, just like the people who needlessly ended the lives of 3000 people. Having the ability to think about what you're saying and agreeing that this was fine is actually worse than saying it off the cusp. Woof is all I can say.

None of us were present for the content or the tone. 

Having the ability to feign outrage over a headline. Woof.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

None of us were present for the content or the tone. 

Having the ability to feign outrage over a headline. Woof.

Maybe he can go to a school and tell the kids if you're passionate about something, stay motivated, work out a good plan and keep perservering you can accomplish exactly what you want, just like Jeffrey Dahmer or Carl Panzram did!

• Like 2