NFL News & Notes

Leader

I don’t mean to sound bad when I say this, but I’ve been watching NFL from Colombia for two weeks now, often en espanol. 

All of the announce teams have women on them. It’s a female doing play by play, a man doing color commentary, and a female sideline reporter.

Me thinks they’re either paying them drastically less or are using them to pump their numbers of females employed, because it’s less than fantastico.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leader said:

I think that was a **** you to Matt Jones on his way out the door. Jones was a little too vocal about things he didn't like for a guy who had not done anything.

Looking like 4 busts and one guy, who was supposed to be a generational talent falling far short of that. They are all still young, so who knows. 

5 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I don’t mean to sound bad when I say this, but I’ve been watching NFL from Colombia for two weeks now, often en espanol. 

All of the announce teams have women on them. It’s a female doing play by play, a man doing color commentary, and a female sideline reporter.

Me thinks they’re either paying them drastically less or are using them to pump their numbers of females employed, because it’s less than fantastico.

Have you had your head in the sand for the past 10 years? There has been a concerted effort to get more women involved in studios and other places. The NBA has women doing play by play too. 

Of course, they are trying to draw more women into the sport. 

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have you had your head in the sand for the past 10 years? There has been a concerted effort to get more women involved in studios and other places. The NBA has women doing play by play too. 

Of course, they are trying to draw more women into the sport. 

No women south of the American border care at all about the NFL. Zero of them. I’m watching them play in a drainage ditch right now while also selling popsicles made of puréed fruit. It feels like a corporate move to be able to say “x % of our announcers are female” but 95% of those females are doing the game in markets that shouldn’t even exist, and they pay them accordingly. Because when you turn on futbol (aka soccer aka the most exhausting activity in the world) it’s back to 100% male commentators, not even the weather report.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

No women south of the American border care at all about the NFL. Zero of them. I’m watching them play in a drainage ditch right now while also selling popsicles made of puréed fruit. It feels like a corporate move to be able to say “x % of our announcers are female” but 95% of those females are doing the game in markets that shouldn’t even exist, and they pay them accordingly. Because when you turn on futbol (aka soccer aka the most exhausting activity in the world) it’s back to 100% male commentators, not even the weather report.

Which is why they are integrating them into broadcasts. 

4 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Quite honestly, I'm surprised the NFL is covered on a weekly basis in Columbia. 

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Quite honestly, I'm surprised the NFL is covered on a weekly basis in Columbia. 

It isn’t. If I enter ESPN in my search bar it only shows links to soccer, boxing, cycling, tennis. Same with the other major sports networks.

In laws have the sports package. Game was on Fox Sports 3 (el tres, not quite the ocho I’d hoped).

Of course, I go hard AF for Green Bay, wearing my Packer hoodie through airports even though it’s 90 like an absolute mad man trying to attract lovers and slay haters with high fashion like that.

Colombia is very nice, very livable. Will return. + Women, + Weather, + Food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Quite an amazing turnaround, since it was a failed or at least failing state in the 80s and 90s. My times there (during which I was guided by my family) it didn't feel particularly unsafe and if you're coming with US money I pegged the effective exchange rate at about 4:1 (I know it actually hovers around 4k/5k pesos to the dollar, but I was getting quality food/clothing/lodging for about 1/4 what I'd have paid in the US)

18 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:
4 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Quite an amazing turnaround, since it was a failed or at least failing state in the 80s and 90s. My times there (during which I was guided by my family) it didn't feel particularly unsafe and if you're coming with US money I pegged the effective exchange rate at about 4:1 (I know it actually hovers around 4k/5k pesos to the dollar, but I was getting quality food/clothing/lodging for about 1/4 what I'd have paid in the US

Colombia is near top of my list to visit. Haven't been to SA ever and need to check it all out. Might start in Colombia. Spent a lot of time in central america already.

The ATL job has to be appealing to an offensive minded coach.  Having Bijan, Pitts and London to work with has to stand out to someone like the DET OC (can't remember his name) who seems to be the hot OC candidate this year.  Tepper reportedly wants him for the CAR job, but I'd think ATL must look like a much better option.