NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Using Vegas lines didn't deserve a more serious response.

Do you have a better suggestion on what/ who to use to consider if Detroit is a playoff / superbowl contender?

I realize you dont think they are, but that doesn’t hold much weight 

32 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Do you have a better suggestion on what/ who to use to consider if Detroit is a playoff / superbowl contender?

I realize you dont think they are, but that doesn’t hold much weight 

They have a decent but not great QB, an OL that's a bit inconsistent, a defense that's mediocre at best, and a head coach who is probably going to keep shooting himself in his own foot. Sure they are good enough to compete for the NFC North but I don't think they are a real contender for a title unless they get pretty lucky. 

There isn't any stat or line or metric that changes any of that.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

They have a decent but not great QB, an OL that's a bit inconsistent, a defense that's mediocre at best, and a head coach who is probably going to keep shooting himself in his own foot. Sure they are good enough to compete for the NFC North but I don't think they are a real contender for a title unless they get pretty lucky. 

they have a top offense that ranked in the top 5 for EPA, their OL is one of the best in the league, they retain their great playcaller, and a lot of their top producers on offense are young and still improving. they are going to be a problem 

5 sacks in 2 games vs GB. 7 sacks in 3 playoff games. 4 sacks vs the Bears in one game and 2 in the other, and 5 allowed vs Baltimore. They had good games and bad games. As I said, inconsistent OL. 

And their "producers" don't matter much. They will be limited by Goff.

33 minutes ago, persiandud said:

they have a top offense that ranked in the top 5 for EPA, their OL is one of the best in the league, they retain their great playcaller, and a lot of their top producers on offense are young and still improving. they are going to be a problem 

Yes. I don't think they will be Green Bay good, in the next few years, but Minnesota good is certainly on the cards.

The NFC North is getting a bit tougher. If the Bears ever rise to a good team, it will be a lot tougher, but as of now, the Bears still suck, maybe not quite as bad as the previous 10 years, but that is only because they were so very, very bad.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

7 hours ago, spilltray said:

So that sounds like a fair number of NFC teams.  Is there really no title contenders in the NFC?

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

Replace mediocre with terrible for the defense, and this sounds like every other fan base when describing the Packers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Replace mediocre with terrible for the defense, and this sounds like every other fan base when describing the Packers.

GB had a significantly better defense last year, and the OL was nowhere near "inconsistent", because the improvement was pretty linear.

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

GB had a significantly better defense last year, and the OL was nowhere near "inconsistent", because the improvement was pretty linear.

Other than the GB defense actually being worse than the DET defense, and the GB OL not being better than the DET OL, I agree with everything you are saying.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Other than the GB defense actually being worse than the DET defense, and the GB OL not being better than the DET OL, I agree with everything you are saying.

GB was #10 in points, Detroit was #23.

I didn't say the Detroit OL was bad, I said it's inconsistent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spilltray said:

GB was #10 in points, Detroit was #23.

I didn't say the Detroit OL was bad, I said it's inconsistent.

Defense by DVOA - DET: Pass 16, Rush 1,  GB: Pass: 26, Rush 26

But I'm sure it's like you say.  The GB defense was actually better.

DET with their inconsistent OL and limited QB managed to have the #5 ranked offense by DVOA.

But I'm sure you're right.  There is nothing here to suggest that DET is a good team.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Defense by DVOA - DET: Pass 16, Rush 1,  GB: Pass: 26, Rush 26

But I'm sure it's like you say.  The GB defense was actually better.

DET with their inconsistent OL and limited QB managed to have the #5 ranked offense by DVOA.

But I'm sure you're right.  There is nothing here to suggest that DET is a good team.

I never said I consider GB to be better. I think both are pretty similar. Dangerous offenses that aren't really a strong contender unless their defense takes major strides. The difference is Campbell shooting himself in the foot and I have more faith in Love being a good QB than Goff, but it's not like I consider either team a good bet vs SF. Both are on that second tier for me. Compete for a division but would need a bunch to go their way.

"In 2020, the NFL created a new rule designed to reward teams that develop minorities in coaching and front office roles. Under the rule, if a team has a minority coach or executive hired away to become another team’s head coach or general manager, the team that developed that coach or executive gets two third-round compensatory picks. It’s been a good rule for the 49ers.

Since the rule was implemented, the 49ers have seen Robert Saleh hired away to be the Jets’ head coach, Maritn Mayhew hired away to be Washington’s general manager, Mike McDaniel hired away to be the Dolphins’ head coach, Ran Carthon hired away to be the Titans’ general manager, and DeMeco Ryans hired away to be the Texans’ head coach. All of those hirings resulted in compensatory picks for the 49ers."