NFL News & Notes

Leader

Is this a Rodgers power move?  See how much control and influence he has over decision makers. 

If they fine him he gets to rant about it at some point.   If they don't fine him he knows he has a leverage over those decision makers.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Is this a Rodgers power move?  See how much control and influence he has over decision makers. 

If they fine him he gets to rant about it at some point.   If they don't fine him he knows he has a leverage over those decision makers.

If I heard the report correctly, Rodgers had already told them why he wasn't going to be there. Some non-controversial commitment...probably a wedding.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Psychedelics are fun, but I think those who are enlightened by them probably lived very uncurious lives prior to.

I think they are pretty powerful and allow you to get into some of the basic circuitry of your mind and nervous system.

As much as I’ve played around with them recreationally, I always enough sense to get out in nature with a trusted group of friends. In general I see them as strong medicine that should be taken with respect. I will say it did shift some of my thinking and how I look at certain patterns etc. in a beneficial way.

I haven’t had the calling to get into them in this stage of my life but I do have some friends who are working through some very real ptsd using a few types of psychedelics. I’m glad there is some more open minded approaches from the medical community and people are finding them useful in their healing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Psychedelics are fun, but I think those who are enlightened by them probably lived very uncurious lives prior to.

I always avoided them. Cannabis heightened sensory experiences for me; listening to good music was transportive. But I could not manage social interactions the way my friends could, and I would tumble off into debilitating paranoia. Hearing stories about breathing walls and melting colors  on their acid trips was enough for me to wave off that kind of fun. They weren’t uncurious people, but they never claimed enlightenment either.

I have been hearing ads for ketamine therapy as a means of re-setting brains in depression. I don’t know if ketamine qualifies as a psychedelic drug, but the hilarious video of the guy trying to get beer out of a convenience store cooler while his perceptions confuse forward and back seems like a good example of someone who has fallen down the k- hole. I don’t know if his depression got better, but the laughing did me some good.

Larry Goes Out for Beer

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

To be clear, I meant recreationally. I strongly believe in the therapeutic benefits of psychedelics. 

I just think some folks tend to overstate the life changing nature of recreational use. My experiences have absolutely been memorable and tremendous fun, but I'm skeptical of the "enlightenment" angle. It's more like gasoline for already creative minds I feel.

10 hours ago, Refugee said:

As much as I’ve played around with them recreationally, I always enough sense to get out in nature with a trusted group of friends. In general I see them as strong medicine that should be taken with respect. I will say it did shift some of my thinking and how I look at certain patterns etc. in a beneficial way.

They do allow a different perception, like seeing patterns or pictures within random stuff like groups of clouds or those old fashioned painted walls with random creases in them, or seeing music in colours or hearing music in a different way, or stretching your time- sense so an hour feels like an age. They can also greatly increase paranoia.

It can also be disorienting (and as a consequence dangerous) and frightening. I suspect but have no proof, that the further apart your conscious self is from your hidden self (the part that is overridden by social acceptability and custom) the more dangerous it is to indulge, but there is some risk for everyone. If I had to describe the more powerful psychedelics like LSD, I'd describe them as mind-altering in an interesting way, but perilous and they definitely carry substantial risk.

Something as simple as walking across a road may be nothing, but if you neglected to look for traffic due to tripping, with your normally automatic danger-avoidance suppressed,  it could be your last road-crossing. Probably jumping off a tall building to 'fly' while tripping is (mostly) more a meme than reality, but walking across a road without looking is certainly very possible.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

Turns out that this was already planned, the Jets knew about it, and they don't care.  Much bigger deal for people like Bukowski or Herman who have the "Rodgers is bad man" stance.

• Like 1

lol. Screw literally all of you who fought me on Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers is the biggest loser and self-centered ahole in all of sports.

His attitude as the leader of this team created a bunch of soft defeatist losers.

Our roster was more than capable of winning Super Bowls in 2011, 2014, 2015, the Tampa year, his last year and Garroppolo’s 8 passing attempts year.

Dude was a defeatist loser who never put in the work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

They do allow a different perception, like seeing patterns or pictures within random stuff like groups of clouds or those old fashioned painted walls with random creases in them, or seeing music in colours or hearing music in a different way, or stretching your time- sense so an hour feels like an age. They can also greatly increase paranoia.

It can also be disorienting (and as a consequence dangerous) and frightening. I suspect but have no proof, that the further apart your conscious self is from your hidden self (the part that is overridden by social acceptability and custom) the more dangerous it is to indulge, but there is some risk for everyone. If I had to describe the more powerful psychedelics like LSD, I'd describe them as mind-altering in an interesting way, but perilous and they definitely carry substantial risk.

Something as simple as walking across a road may be nothing, but if you neglected to look for traffic due to tripping, with your normally automatic danger-avoidance suppressed,  it could be your last road-crossing. Probably jumping off a tall building to 'fly' while tripping is (mostly) more a meme than reality, but walking across a road without looking is certainly very possible.

As I said, it’s a powerful class of substance. I’ve babysat enough friends who had a “bad trip”, but that was generally them just overreacting to something they imagined, paranoia. In my general experience I have actually been hyper aware of my surroundings, heightened in senses and reaction after the initial “drop in” occurs. I’d say being severely drunk would put someone at a much higher risk of putting themselves in harms way by not being aware of or reacting fast enough to their surroundings.

One interesting thing, riding a bike was always like riding a laser rail. I once on psilocybin moved a car from a street to a drive way, not any distance, and  that was like operating some unknown alien technology. I’m sure someone could learn to operate a machine under the influence, but it should be totally off limits to people because it’s way too dangerous. 

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

lol. Screw literally all of you who fought me on Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers is the biggest loser and self-centered ahole in all of sports.

His attitude as the leader of this team created a bunch of soft defeatist losers.

Our roster was more than capable of winning Super Bowls in 2011, 2014, 2015, the Tampa year, his last year and Garroppolo’s 8 passing attempts year.

Dude was a defeatist loser who never put in the work.

Get off it, Florio.

Rodgers is great.