NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

While I love wings, this makes me think I should just order like 5 chicken breasts with the wing sauce on them instead.

Makes sense in theory, but the chicken breast is the dryest part of the bird. It also has the least flavor. I love thighs and legs. 

The breast is definitely the healthiest part though. Lot of protein and very lean meat. 

On 7/13/2024 at 3:23 PM, Refugee said:

He’s part of the “Receiver” series that came out. He and a bunch of guys were mic’d up for maybe a whole season so lots of stuff coming out. Still, not a good look talking about getting rocked worse than he ever has in his whole career. DA took the deal to play with a lesser organization. They traded his QB away and now he’s got to deal with whatever they roll out there. He’s missed but we have a pretty great crew at WR for basically one year of his deal. 

I can't wait until Rodge is a Raider next season. 😃

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 5:01 PM, wgbeethree said:

The first time I ordered wings, thirty years ago, for a restaurant I'd guess they were about ~10% of the price of chicken breast per pound. The last time, a year ago, was probably ~125%. There was a short time in 2022  it was at least ~200%.

Just looked it up. At both my last restaurant and the wing place down the street you can order 5 chicken breasts for approximately the same price as 10 wings. 10 for $16 or $3 breast and 10 for $19.50 and $4 breasts. That's beyond stupid. 

I have a real hard time ordering wings now when I see what they charge for them. I have one place in particular I go to when I have a craving and even they have had to order some smaller wings because the big ones they usually order were just outrageously priced from the supplier. The owner is a good guy though and would throw extra wings in to compensate. Still going from $.10-$.25 wing nights to $1.00-$1.50 specials is unreal. 

Then I have to ground myself in reality, that the cost of going out to eat has spiraled out of control. 1/4lb cheeseburger $18, large sausage pizza $30… $1.00 tacos…. Nope try $3.00….

I will be watching to see how society adapts, I have too many coworkers that start their days with Starbucks drink and a muffin for $10, get a monster at work for $5, door dash McDonald’s for lunch for $25 then door dash dinner from chili’s/MBC/Magianos on their way out for another $25… EVERY day…. this is usually our younger under 30 age group, the same group that someday wants to buy a house and go on a vacation like they see on instagram.

On 7/13/2024 at 2:01 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

Genuinely wonder what was going through his mind when he saw *SIX* QBs go in the first before the Raiders picked this year.  The next QB selected was in the fifth round.

I’m sure it wasn’t good, he might have even wiped a tear away with a Benjamin. He had a lot of say in where he was traded and wanted to chase that contract. I would me interested to see if he is one of those “we should of got x player he would of been such of improvement”, but every qb that isn’t his current qb is on that list or if he’s a “I want to play with Rodgers, Mahomes, Burrow or Allen only”

On 7/15/2024 at 10:55 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

I have a real hard time ordering wings now when I see what they charge for them. I have one place in particular I go to when I have a craving and even they have had to order some smaller wings because the big ones they usually order were just outrageously priced from the supplier. The owner is a good guy though and would throw extra wings in to compensate. Still going from $.10-$.25 wing nights to $1.00-$1.50 specials is unreal. 

Then I have to ground myself in reality, that the cost of going out to eat has spiraled out of control. 1/4lb cheeseburger $18, large sausage pizza $30… $1.00 tacos…. Nope try $3.00….

I will be watching to see how society adapts, I have too many coworkers that start their days with Starbucks drink and a muffin for $10, get a monster at work for $5, door dash McDonald’s for lunch for $25 then door dash dinner from chili’s/MBC/Magianos on their way out for another $25… EVERY day…. this is usually our younger under 30 age group, the same group that someday wants to buy a house and go on a vacation like they see on instagram.

No doubt.  I could eat for a week and pretty damn good for $60.  Only go out a couple of times a year on special occasions.  Drop $150 on dinner for 2.  Kids have no concept of money.  Add up that 60 bucks a day.  $300 a week.  $1200/month.  $14,400/yr.  They don't think like that.  Then go out and finance a brand new car.  $800/month.  $250/month insurance.  But they want it now.  But don't have money for rent so live with their parents.  Ughhh....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

No doubt.  I could eat for a week and pretty damn good for $60.  Only go out a couple of times a year on special occasions.  Drop $150 on dinner for 2.  Kids have no concept of money.  Add up that 60 bucks a day.  $300 a week.  $1200/month.  $14,400/yr.

In my younger days, doing this math is what got me to stop participating in pool, bowling and darts leagues 5 days a week.  It was crazy expensive.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2024 at 11:55 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

Even the most ardent wing basher has to admit that 10 cent wings were an amazing thing while they lasted.  Now I only eat wings when my son makes them.  He's actually quite the cook.  I think it comes from him growing up right when the cooking show craze really took off because it didn't come from either parent. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

In my younger days, doing this math is what got me to stop participating in pool, bowling and darts leagues 5 days a week.  It was crazy expensive.

Above math excercise assumes 5 working days.  Doesn't include what they are blowing at the bar on weekends.  Then they wonder why they can't ever get ahead. I was in a pool league.  Just would nurse a beer or two all night.  Go out for under 10 bucks.  Today I treated myself to a Whopper.  $7.58 just for the sandwich.  Wasn't the long ago it was 2 for $5.  wtf??? It was worth it tho.  So good.  Oh well guess we should get back to football.  NFL NEWS Packers are going to win the Superbowl this season.  Heard it here first. 

• Like 1

People are all too often obsessed by cost. While I don't spend a fortune on food, equally I don't stint on it.

I buy what I like - and not what is cheap. I seldom buy strawberries or raspberries, for example, which CAN taste amazing but almost always if bought from a supermarket they taste of very little due to how they are grown and then frozen. I do buy chopped Mango often, because they still retain their taste - same with blueberries. With grapes - I buy the 'taste the difference' range (variety Sable or Vittoria) from Sainsburys, because their really IS a big difference between them and the average grape you buy (in a supermarket).

While I'm on a fruit theme, look at the bananas in your supermarket. The best supermarket bananas are a bright yellow. If they look a bit dull they have been frozen (originally they were packed and shipped while green to ripen in transit and arrive at a supermarket bright coloured). All too often these days they are also frozen, where they lose their brightness.

With all the modern growing techniques plus the constant drive from companies to make a product cheaper, all too often food from supermarkets looks terrific, but the taste is very disappointing.

TLDR - Taste, not price, should be the mantra, if you are not in serious financial hardship.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

People are all too often obsessed by cost. While I don't spend a fortune on food, equally I don't stint on it.

I buy what I like - and not what is cheap. I seldom buy strawberries or raspberries, for example, which CAN taste amazing but almost always if bought from a supermarket they taste of very little due to how they are grown and then frozen. I do buy chopped Mango often, because they still retain their taste - same with blueberries. With grapes - I buy the 'taste the difference' range (variety Sable or Vittoria) from Sainsburys, because their really IS a big difference between them and the average grape you buy (in a supermarket).

While I'm on a fruit theme, look at the bananas in your supermarket. The best supermarket bananas are a bright yellow. If they look a bit dull they have been frozen (originally they were packed and shipped while green to ripen in transit and arrive at a supermarket bright coloured). All too often these days they are also frozen, where they lose their brightness.

With all the modern growing techniques plus the constant drive from companies to make a product cheaper, all too much food from supermarkets looks terrific, but the taste is very disappointing.

TLDR - Taste, not price, should be the mantra, if you are not in serious financial hardship.

Thanks for fruit lesson.  Our produce is horrid.  California strawberries taste awful.  Get the fresh locally grown strawberries and yum.  I don't skimp at the grocery store either.  But if you are smart you can eat like a king without spending a lot of money.  Rack of pork ribs on sale is like 12 bucks.  Me and the Wife can eat on them for 2 dinners.  Baked potatoe and fresh sweet corn still talking less than $5 a plate.  Same dinner at a restaurant looking at $30 bucks plus per plate.  Eating in is still relatively affordable.  Eating out is not.  Living in northern Door County  we have one grocery store.  Piggly Wiggly.  Not a lot of choices.  You are so right about produce.  One of my pet peeves.  But back to football the Packers are going to the Superbowl this year.  Oh in other news Rasheed Rice is a hot mess.  Good thing we went Reed instead.  Much debate back then.  Looks like Gute got that one right yet again. 

On 7/15/2024 at 1:03 PM, Toddfather said:

I can't wait until Rodge is a Raider next season. 😃

This could actually happen. They don't make the playoffs and win at least one game, Saleh and Douglass are out and Douglass can take his leverage with him. 

11 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Above math excercise assumes 5 working days.  Doesn't include what they are blowing at the bar on weekends.  Then they wonder why they can't ever get ahead. I was in a pool league.  Just would nurse a beer or two all night.  Go out for under 10 bucks.  Today I treated myself to a Whopper.  $7.58 just for the sandwich.  Wasn't the long ago it was 2 for $5.  wtf??? It was worth it tho.  So good.  Oh well guess we should get back to football.  NFL NEWS Packers are going to win the Superbowl this season.  Heard it here first. 

When I was playing in leagues, I was on a strict schedule of 5+ Captain/Cokes per night plus whatever bar food was available.  Being in my 20's with a decent job and not enough sense to plan for the future was fun.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

This could actually happen. They don't make the playoffs and win at least one game, Saleh and Douglass are out and Douglass can take his leverage with him. 

Then they can go on Hard Knocks and play pretend again!