NFL News & Notes

Leader

As a Packer fan I enjoy seeing Aiyuk still not reporting with what appears to be no plans to report. Also, Trent Williams has not shown up for anything since training camp started. 

Brock Purdy might get killed behind that line against the Jets defense. I don't wish injury on anybody, but I'd make sure my life insurance was paid up before he gets under center next week. 

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

The most in the NFL......

They are pushing more money into the future on a guy who has probably played his best football. He was mediocre last year before a season ending injury that required surgery on his throwing shoulder. He is still being limited in practice with "general arm soreness".

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

They are pushing more money into the future on a guy who has probably played his best football. He was mediocre last year before a season ending injury that required surgery on his throwing shoulder. He is still being limited in practice with "general arm soreness".

The numbers aren't actually all that bad for an NFL QB.
The key for them is for him to finally produce like he did back when in HOU.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/21753/deshaun-watson

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

all the money is gtd anyway.  They are just gonna roll all the cap $ saved into next year's cap.  

This piece of news isn't really "news" it's more like refinancing your house - some numbers moved around but your mortgage principle is still the same number as before. 

Now your interest rate (% of cap) is slightly different and the browns are banking on some NFL cap growth to make this move worthwhile

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

all the money is gtd anyway.  They are just gonna roll all the cap $ saved into next year's cap.  

This piece of news isn't really "news" it's more like refinancing your house - some numbers moved around but your mortgage principle is still the same number as before. 

Now your interest rate (% of cap) is slightly different and the browns are banking on some NFL cap growth to make this move worthwhile

You only refinance when you get a lower rate. Their rate has not changed whatsoever. It's more like a balloon loan, eventually that balloon comes due. When it does, they are going to have to take a massive cap hit. Likely at the end of his contract because I don't see them extending him. 

28% of the cap next year, almost 26% in 2026. Then in 2027 8.5% of the cap is dead money as it stands now. 

The Texans committed highway robbery in this trade. 

Deshaun Watson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

You only refinance when you get a lower rate. Their rate has not changed whatsoever. It's more like a balloon loan, eventually that balloon comes due. When it does, that are going to have to take a massive cap hit. Likely at the end of his contract because I don't see them extending him. 

28% of the cap next year, almost 26% in 2026. Then in 2027 8.5% of the cap is dead money as it stands now. 

Deshaun Watson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

yeah you don't understand though.  Maybe mine is not a perfect analogy but what you're saying isn't true unless they don't roll over the money they saved here... which is what they will do.

They are borrowing the money in order to use it to pay back the money.  The 64M in cap they save in 24 will roll into 25 and give them 64 M to spend on... deshaun watson.  

It's just an accounting move.  They predict that the cap will rise, so having the money due in the future is better in terms of the contract as a % of the cap.  Saving the money in a lower cap year then spending the money in a higher cap year.

There's no angle here other than "browns should never have traded for him and given him this fully gtd money".  Which has nothing to do with the move done today.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Eventually that balloon comes due. When it does, they are going to have to take a massive cap hit. Likely at the end of his contract because I don't see them extending him.

The key is production. He's got to start actually making a positive difference on the field. If he does, the team has options at the end of the contract. The guy will only be 32 - which in QB age - is still marketable.

He's gotta produce or the entire venture will have been a failure.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah you don't understand though.  Maybe mine is not a perfect analogy but what you're saying isn't true unless they don't roll over the money they saved here... which is what they will do.

They are borrowing the money in order to use it to pay back the money.  The 64M in cap they save in 24 will roll into 25 and give them 64 M to spend on... deshaun watson.  

It's just an accounting move.  They predict that the cap will rise, so having the money due in the future is better in terms of the contract as a % of the cap.  Saving the money in a lower cap year then spending the money in a higher cap year.

There's no angle here other than "browns should never have traded for him and given him this fully gtd money".  Which has nothing to do with the move done today.

One of us for sure doesn't understand, I'll grant you that. First, they did not save 64 million in cap with this move. That is patently false. Second, they didn't save a dime over the cost of Watson's contract. They pushed it into future years. 

Yes, it is an accounting move, we agree here. They cleared additional money to give them 51.5 million in cap space this year according to OTC. Seems like the GM is wanting to make some moves this year and go, "all in." 

They can only roll over 11% of their total cap so out of that 51.5, they can roll over 28.6 million to next year. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

One of us for sure doesn't understand, I'll grant you that. First, they did not save 64 million in cap with this move. That is patently false. Second, they didn't save a dime over the cost of Watson's contract. They pushed it into future years. 

Yes, it is an accounting move, we agree here. They cleared additional money to give them 51.5 million in cap space this year according to OTC. Seems like the GM is wanting to make some moves this year and go, "all in." 

They can only roll over 11% of their total cap so out of that 51.5, they can roll over 28.6 million to next year. 

they can roll over the full amount.  there is not 11% limit.   

There is a spending floor aggregate of 89% over the course of several years, which is not a limit of only being able to roll over 11% of unused cap space

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

they can roll over the full amount.  there is not 11% limit.   

There is a spending floor aggregate of 89% over the course of several years, which is not a limit of only being able to roll over 11% of unused cap space

It's a 4-year aggregate, so while I was wrong, it is also not unlimited. So, over the past three years if they spent more than 89% of their cap, that would be added to what they could roll over. If there were years where it was less than 89% that would be subtracted. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

if 64 is actually 51, ok.  Thought I saw 64 somewhere.

I promise that they will roll over whatever they saved.  And I also promise that they are allowed to roll it over.

And since we agree that they didn't save a dime, and now we agree that they also didn't spend any additional money on him... I think we finally agree that there isn't anything newsworthy to talk about here except for perhaps an NFL accounting curiosity.

If the "news" is just a jumping off point to dump on Deshaun Watson and the browns for

a) being a bad NFL player

and

b) paying a bad NFL player like he's a top 5 QB.  Then yeah, let's have at it.

• Like 1