NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

You win the toss and decide to kick off - that means you "defer" to receiving the 2nd half kickoff - done.

Over analytical minds need not apply here. Just make it and keep it simple.

You want to kick it or receive it?

You kick it now means you receive it later.
You receive it now means you kick it later.
Even a college educated professional football player should be able to retain those options.

As they should understand they defer their decision until the second half. Tired of having to dumb everything down in society. It's worked just fine for decades. Quit changing what ain't broken. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I can't say for certain but in real bad weather games where you know it is going to be a turnover fest, it could make sense. 

Haha, likely only if your playing Tampa bay and Jamies Winston he's a pick 6 waiting time happen. or Bill Bellecheat he would do something like that.

Just now, Golfman said:

As they should understand they defer their decision until the second half. Tired of having to dumb everything down in society. It's worked just fine for decades. Quit changing what ain't broken. 

But it is broken - really easy to fix - and has nothing to do (at all) with societal issues.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

But it is broken - really easy to fix - and has nothing to do (at all) with societal issues.

Why is it broken? Because Prescott screwed up? IT IS SIMPLE! Coach, "if we win the coin toss defer!" That is it.

What is the solution if a coach wants to kick off no matter what in a very poor weather game where defense is king? That coach would rather kick off both halves. I know unlikely but it could happen. What do they say then? 

Just now, Golfman said:

Why is it broken? Because Prescott screwed up? IT IS SIMPLE! Coach, "if we win the coin toss defer!" That is it. What is the solution if a coach wants to kick off no matter what in a very poor weather game where defense is king? That coach would rather kick off both halves. I know unlikely but it could happen. What do they say then? 

Okay. Fine. I said over analytical minds need not apply and fear I've expended more than my quota already. Nuf sed from me on the topic (and even though I've trademarked the process and stand to make millions should they institute my plan....I'll "defer" to remaining silent about it from here on out) :)

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

This whole situation has just educated the average football fan (even a lot of the more experienced ones) on how the actual rule works. It is FINE the way it is, we are just seeing the 2nd or 3rd time it has been screwed up by a player. 

A team screws this up like every other year. No sympathy.

I don't have any sympathy either, especially for Dak who I'm sure does a ton of coin flips.

However I am having a hard time coming up with a reason as to why the team that defers would choose anything other than receive in the 2nd half. 

Torrential rains and wind that is going towards on goal post? Playing against an emergency QB? Playing your emergency QB? 

An argument definitely exists for the "defer" to be redundant. 

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Football Perspective -  Three of the top five teams in the NFL in yards of offense are on the outside looking in for the playoffs in Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta.

Shocking.  I’m shocked.

Meanwhile, 7 of the top 10 in points against are in the playoffs.

Steelers are in if they win, too.