NFL News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, Reaper said:

There is a chance its SuperBowl 1 ALL OVER AGAIN 100 years later still think its not scripted?

We actually don't play in the SB this year, Goodell sends me the scripts a couple years out. This is the Brees/Brady bowl. Winner gets to retire. Next year we play Cleveland with McCarthy as their HC in the SB (if anyone wants to make some money, this is is all true)

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

We actually don't play in the SB this year, Goodell sends me the scripts a couple years out. This is the Brees/Brady bowl. Winner gets to retire. Next year we play Cleveland with McCarthy as their HC in the SB (if anyone wants to make some money, this is is all true)

I love fueling the conspiracies 

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I think I heard today that no team has reached the Super Bowl without having a bye since 2012.

Go get the win in Detroit.

Considering that GB followed up their SB win from the #6 seed with a one and done from the #1 seed, I wouldn't read too much into that particular stat.

• Like 1

The more things change, the more........

Marshawn Lynch just walked to the podium and was asked what brought him back to the Seahawks. He said, “Happy holidays. Merry New Year. Y’all have a great day. It’s a great feeling to be back.” Then walked away.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

The more things stay the same, the more..............

Football Perspective -  In 1983, the three leaders in receptions were all tight ends: Todd Christensen, Ozzie Newsome, and Kellen Winslow.

Lol, what? 

The three tight ends with the most receptions this year are Kelce (94), Ertz (88), Waller (84). 

4 receivers and a running back have more receptions than the TE with the most. 

In fact, out of the top 50 in receptions this year, only 8 are tight ends. 

For comparison, there are 8 running backs in the top 50. 

In fact, out of the top 8 seasons (by receptions) in NFL history for tight ends, only one (Gonzalez in 2004) was enough to lead the league in receptions. 

Since 1983, only twice has a tight end led the league in receptions.  That speaks more to a lack of talent overall at the WR positions than it does tight ends being receiving weapons. 

I don't know what your point is here, but if it's to suggest that the Packers are missing some fundamental piece of a team by not having a TE, it's just flat wrong. 

Having an elite receiving weapon at tight end is an extreme luxury tantamount to a human being having a private jet.  Not everybody has one, and certainly not many people need one. 

Four tight ends have over 70 receptions in the league right now.
Seven teams have between 50-60. 
Half the teams in the league have under 40 receptions by their TE. 

Out of the top half (16 teams with 40 receptions or more by their TE),

9 are out of the playoffs.
2 of them are on one team (Eagles with Ertz and Goedert)
1 of them is Jason Witten, who is averaging LESS THAN 9 YARDS PER RECEPTION.  Hell, even Jimmy Graham is averaging over 11 yards per reception. 

Again, I don't know what your point is here because you never seem to have one, but since you always say, "I'm merely posting this with no opinion," I'm going to offer my opinion based on the information you posted.

This notion that we are somehow missing out on some wildly important aspect of team building is rubbish and stupid.  Receiving tight ends are a luxury. 

• Like 1

I hate that the post made me look up receiving stats.

But I did, reluctantly.  It turns out, if you simply excluded 8 of the top 10 receivers in the league, you do get 2 tight ends at the top.  

Hey, if you eliminate 11 of those top 14 receivers in the league, you do get 3 tight ends.

Take it one step farther....the top TE is only 51 catches away from the top WR.  

Yah, it is an odd post.  Someone threw out the clickbait...someone clicked....put it on here.  And I hate that I wasted ten minutes looking things up.

Edited by vegas492

I could be wrong, but his first post had the phrase

"The more things change, the more things stay the same" in reference to Beast mode in Seattle. 

Than followed it up with

"The more things stay the same, the more things change" in reference to tight ends not leading the league in receptions.  

Either you or me, but someone is having a big whoooooooosh moment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

I could be wrong, but his first post had the phrase

"The more things change, the more things stay the same" in reference to Beast mode in Seattle. 

Than followed it up with

"The more things stay the same, the more things change" in reference to tight ends not leading the league in receptions.  

Either you or me, but someone is having a big whoooooooosh moment. 

Ah.  I get it now.

TE's don't lead the league.  Post could have meant 1993, too.  Or most any other year after 1983 if I were to venture a guess.  1986 was the last time a TE led the league in receptions.  (looked it up)

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Again, I don't know what your point is here....

Thats apparent.

A simple comment made by Football Perspectives (not me) about an aspect of football thats changed. I thought it interesting, but thats it.
Nothing more.
No need for "analysis"
Nothing to "figure out"
No "point" being made.
Just a simple observation.
LOL 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, it is an odd post.  Someone threw out the clickbait...someone clicked....put it on here.  And I hate that I wasted ten minutes looking things up.

In order for the Football Perspectives tweet to be clickbait it would have to include link to a website which when "clicked on"
would collect that data for revenue (advertising) purposes.

A tweet - read on a free public forum - isnt clickbait. 

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

In order for the Football Perspectives tweet to be clickbait it would have to include link to a website which when "clicked on"
would collect that data for revenue (advertising) purposes.

A tweet - read on a free public forum - isnt clickbait. 

Overthought

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Thats apparent.

A simple comment made by Football Perspectives (not me) about an aspect of football thats changed. I thought it interesting, but thats it.
Nothing more.
No need for "analysis"
Nothing to "figure out"
No "point" being made.
Just a simple observation.
LOL 

Yeah, that’s why I put in the disclaimer that I didn’t know if you had a point or what your point was, at which point I offered an opinion on the post you made.

LOL