NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

He was lousy from the beginning and had no experience to support his hiring for the position. None. Zilch. Nada - other than his familiarity with Baker.

That. Was. It.

It showed from the very beginning and he built nothing through the season - provided no possible basis for keeping him. None. No "Well maybe this...maybe that"

None. Gone in hours. A bad hire confirmed with his firing hours after his rookie year.

Couldn't the same thing be said about LaFleur?

Edited by AlexGreen#20

16 hours ago, Leader said:

I disagree. He clearly wasnt qualified and there was nothing to indicate he could handle it.
I thought he'd actually gotten some HC under his belt last year. That was wrong. He had nothing going for him other than Baker liked him and they didnt want to subject him to multiple coaching changes.

Should have hired a qualified HC and let him and Dorsey figure Freddy's future out.

He's not a HC. Proven fact.

Or to be charitable - he's not any good at it. Thats a talented team and he was CLUELESS so many times.

A bad hire.

Given how well the offense seemed to click down the stretch in Cleveland, it wasn't an awful gamble to make.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Couldn't the same thing be said about LaFleur?

Absolutely. It's about the people in charge moreso than the coach. Murphy and Gute felt LaFleur was ready and they were right.

Dorsey continues to tarnish his reputation there, thank goodness he was committed to that job before our GM spot opened up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Given how well the offense seemed to click down the stretch in Cleveland, it wasn't an awful gamble to make.

I can understand it - but it was a mistake.

You're a young team on the rise. Gobs of cap space and draft picks - a GM on the come and a game plan that includes bringing in a lot of new, young talent.

You want a guy that knows how to run things. A guy that can own the room. An HC.

Freddy wasnt that guy when he was hired and he never grew in to it.

If bypassed for the HC position, I doubt he would have gotten a lot of outside attention. I doubt he'll get much attention now.

Again - I think Mayfield's situation played into the decision more than it should.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

I can understand it - but it was a mistake.

You're a young team on the rise. Gobs of cap space and draft picks - a GM on the come and a game plan that includes bringing in a lot of new, young talent.

You want a guy that knows how to run things. A guy that can own the room. An HC.

Freddy wasnt that guy when he was hired and he never grew in to it.

If bypassed for the HC position, I doubt he would have gotten a lot of outside attention. I doubt he'll get much attention now.

Again - I think Mayfield's situation played into the decision more than it should.

sure but you can't ignore the games that kitchens game planned / plays he called when he got promoted to OC. dude had baker and chubb rolling the last two months of the season. 

68% comp% / 2,254 yd /19 td in the 8 games he called is promising especially with a rookie qb

47 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Absolutely. It's about the people in charge moreso than the coach. Murphy and Gute felt LaFleur was ready and they were right.

Dorsey continues to tarnish his reputation there, thank goodness he was committed to that job before our GM spot opened up.

MLF had also accomplished more as an asst coach/OC than Kitchens ever did and was a part of teams that hard far greater success than Kitchens did as well sparing his early time with Arizona.

8 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

sure but you can't ignore the games that kitchens game planned / plays he called when he got promoted to OC. dude had baker and chubb rolling the last two months of the season. 

68% comp% / 2,254 yd /19 td in the 8 games he called is promising especially with a rookie qb

Understood and I'm not. I'm not discounting his OC efforts. Good. Keep him as OC if you feel his contribution was so central and critical to moving forward - but hire the face of the organization (other than Dorsey) and a guy that can bring / hold it all together and run it.

Football Perspective -  The Steelers had over 5,000 passing yards in 2018. The Steelers had under 3,000 passing yards in 2019. Pittsburgh's passing yardage total dropped by 2,027 yards -- a whopping 127 yards per game -- the largest single-season decline in NFL history.

/////////////////////////

They got "Hundleyed"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Had to post this.  The Mitch Trubisky one made me laugh really hard.  And if you click over to the original FB post the Booger McFarland memes in the comments are hysterical too.

On the last one he throws the ball 4 seconds too soon and 7 yards too short

• Like 1