NFL News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

If I’m not mistaken, Brady hasn’t missed any games.

Brady also didn’t have a PR debacle in the middle of the season.  AR’s popularity took a pretty big hit with the COVID debacle and I’m fairly certain the MVP award has a “popularity contest” element to it.

Otherwise, I think these results would be closer, and in reality, I’m sure they already are.

The second that COVID issue came to light Rodgers was probably disqualified from MVP contention  no matter how he played bc it is so divsive. Rodgers even acklowdged that on Macafee IIRC. 

Edited by Arthur Penske

34 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The second that COVID issue came to light Rodgers was probably disqualified from MVP contention  no matter how he played bc it is so divsive. Rodgers even acklowdged that on Macafee IIRC. 

I think if Rodgers averages 4 TDs these last 4 games, that would get him to 43 TDs. And gets the Number 1 seed… he will have a great argument for the MVP, regardless all the Covid stuff.

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Don't give a crap if he wins regular season MVP  but would be stoked if he wins the Super Bowl MVP!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think if Rodgers averages 4 TDs these last 4 games, that would get him to 43 TDs. And gets the Number 1 seed… he will have a great argument for the MVP, regardless all the Covid stuff.

It is going to depend on others too.  Rodgers is, as usual, ridiculously efficient.  He is 17th in attempts, but tied for 5th in TDs.  The only player close to Rodgers' efficiency is Kirk Cousins.  BUT, Brady, Stafford, and Herbert already have 30 TDs.  Rodgers has the best passer rating, by a hair, over Stafford. He is also 900 some yards behind Brady, though he is 140 attempts behind as well. 

Rodgers was less than stellar against the Saints and Seahawks, and completely missed the Chiefs game.  Those are big minuses for his case.  

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -    NFL now has had 75 player positives for COVID the past two days.

The NFL had a near miss in last year's playoffs when Cleveland had an outbreak before their game against the Steelers- only the Steelers utterly defecating on the bed kept the narrative of COVID completely destroying a vital playoff/championship hidden from view.

One wonders what the Shield will do if such a game- even the Super Bowl- gets prematurely decided by an outbreak. Delay the game a week or two perhaps? Surely they wouldn't tolerate a forced forefit in that case- that's so much money left on the table and a black mark you CAN'T explain with the ol' Doorknob excuse.

1 minute ago, Zycho32 said:

The NFL had a near miss in last year's playoffs when Cleveland had an outbreak before their game against the Steelers- only the Steelers utterly defecating on the bed kept the narrative of COVID completely destroying a vital playoff/championship hidden from view. One wonders what the Shield will do if such a game- even the Super Bowl- gets prematurely decided by an outbreak. Delay the game a week or two perhaps? Surely they wouldn't tolerate a forced forefit in that case- that's so much money left on the table and a black mark you CAN'T explain with the ol' Doorknob excuse.

The financial commitments to putting on / pulling off a SB are immense. Say....I'm booked for travel and rooms in LA this year.....and they have to reschedule the game? Now multiply me by thousands of individuals. Then you have the build up investment by hundreds of corporations that not only put this thing together - but attend en masse. I've no clue what the league would do in case of a widespread outbreak. Plus - what if CA imposes some travel restrictions? 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

The financial commitments to putting on / pulling off a SB are immense. Say....I'm booked for travel and rooms in LA this year.....and they have to reschedule the game? Now multiply me by thousands of individuals. Then you have the build up investment by hundreds of corporations that not only put this thing together - but attend en masse. I've no clue what the league would do in case of a widespread outbreak. Plus - what if CA imposes some travel restrictions? 

It feels like an inevitability, don't it?

Personally, as long as the outbreak doesn't happen to the Pack(whether by being the lucky team in the SB Matchup or falling short in the playoffs AGAIN), that dark little corner of my mind kinda wants to see such a thing happen.

Just now, Zycho32 said:

It feels like an inevitability, don't it? Personally, as long as the outbreak doesn't happen to the Pack(whether by being the lucky team in the SB Matchup or falling short in the playoffs AGAIN), that dark little corner of my mind kinda wants to see such a thing happen.

I'd turn on some night lights in that section of your mind. Kinda-sorta wanting a lot of people to get sick to see the disruption it could cause....thats pretty f'd up thinking.

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is going to depend on others too.  Rodgers is, as usual, ridiculously efficient.  He is 17th in attempts, but tied for 5th in TDs.  The only player close to Rodgers' efficiency is Kirk Cousins.  BUT, Brady, Stafford, and Herbert already have 30 TDs.  Rodgers has the best passer rating, by a hair, over Stafford. He is also 900 some yards behind Brady, though he is 140 attempts behind as well. 

Rodgers was less than stellar against the Saints and Seahawks, and completely missed the Chiefs game.  Those are big minuses for his case.  

And even with those minuses if he leads his team to the best record in conference and likely the league and boosts his numbers like I said… speak volumes. More so with how the oline has been injury wise, and the consistent almost annual talk about how he doesn’t have weapons like Brady, Dak, Cousins, etc.

Those minuses can be painted as positive if he gets the 1 seed and again boost his numbers near what Brady is doing.

Edited by Green19

I've said this before, but this is a prime example why the current COVID rules in the NFL are not sustainable. They cannot continue to basically suspend a player or coach for 10 days, causing them to automatically miss at least one game, simply based on a positive test. Players and coaches who are asymptomatic should be able to play, especially if the positive test came 5-7 days before the game and the player/coach still has no symptoms. This is supported by the fact that there is no evidence of player-to-player transmission during games. The league cannot allow these big games, including the playoffs, to be dramatically impacted by a team having to put 8 guys on the COVID list when probably every one of them is healthy enough to play without symptoms. People are going to continue to test positive for COVID regardless of whether they are vaccinated, boosted or had it before. It's not going away. It's time for the league to adapt. 

• Like 1