Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

7 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I dont care what they are. 2 years ago they were one of these worst teams in Hockey. The Wild are 4-15 in the last 19 playoff games. Fletcher is a joke and needs to go.

I don't disagree about Fletcher but I don't think you're giving the Jets enough credit.

A rebuild of the Wild is going to be impossible until the Suter and Parise contracts are off the books.  Sorry to say, but baring some elite, and cheap, offensive talent coming up through the system, this is the type of team that they're going to be. Having 1/5th of your cap space tied to players who are under contract til they are in their 40s is not great, and should they retire the cap recapture penalties would cripple us too given what the CBA became after they signed their 13 year deals.

Suter - $7.5M cap hit through 2024-25 (full no movement clause)
Parise - $7.5M cap hit through 2024-25 (full no movement clause)
Koivu - $5.5M cap hit through 2019-20 (full no movement clause)
Dubnyk - $4.3M cap hit through 2020-21 (modified no trade clause - lists 19 teams he'd be okay going to)

$2.5M from the Vanek buyout comes off of the books after this year, hopefully they can ditch Ennis to a team that needs to reach the cap floor because he's on the books for $4.6M next year and is useless - Granlund is going to be due another contract after his bridge deal ends in after 2019-20, Zucker needs a new deal, after next year, Eriksson Ek needs a deal, Staal's steal of a deal is up after next year as well. Kaprizov will have to buy himself out if he wants to come over before 2020-21...

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Kaprizov would help, Greenway and Seeler/Soucy look promising, Kunin will return. Need to resign Zucker and Dumba this off-season.

Neither Seeler, nor Soucy, help where this team desperately needs it.  Both of them are fine bottom pairing defensemen, but they don't provide dynamic offensive play to the team.  Kunin, Kaprizov, and Greenway are the wild cards. They need to hit (and Kaprizov needs to cross the sea) for this team to avoid a similar fate of round one, maybe round two, playoff exits year after year.

If we move a D, we fall short on the back end then. Neither Seeler, nor Soucy, is a good enough puck mover to play top-4 minutes.  Suter-Spurgeon, Brodin-Dumba all have the stay, and be healthy, for this team to remain viable and those are the only four defensemen that would net any scoring in return.

Edited by rpmwr19

Definitely fun to talk about, but it's going to have to be draft and develop until at least Koivu's contract comes off the books; unless we can get lucky with another Staal type signing. Talk about a steal of a deal for a 40 goal scorer!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Berrios has been lights out 2 times through the opposing team's lineups,  and he always seems to struggle when he faces guys that 3rd time. He did have the 1 CG, but other than that, the 7th and on has been his Achilles heel.

I think it had more to do with getting the bullpen some with. Since it was tied, I probably would've given him another inning but I can understand it. Morrison's slow walk back to the dugout is getting to be an old site

Can't quote twitter at work but saw Russo's tweet about lines for tomorrow night:

Zucker-Staal-Coyle

Nino-Koivu-Granny

Foligno-Cullen-Rau/Ennis

Greenway/Gabriel-JEE-Winnik

Why would we play Gabriel over Greenway, unless he's just going to punch someone on his first shift out there and why is Coyle moving up to line 1???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Can't quote twitter at work but saw Russo's tweet about lines for tomorrow night:

Zucker-Staal-Coyle

Nino-Koivu-Granny

Foligno-Cullen-Rau/Ennis

Greenway/Gabriel-JEE-Winnik

Why would we play Gabriel over Greenway, unless he's just going to punch someone on his first shift out there and why is Coyle moving up to line 1???

Eriksson-Ek should get a crack at 1st line long before Coyle. 

Coyle should moved this offseason. Not sure what to offer Zucker. 8 points in 30 Playoff games. 

On Parise and Suter. I wish Parise could stay healthy. I'd love it if we could find a way out on Suter. Defense has been better since he got hurt, in my opinion. Suter was the mistake. Both were way too long of contracts, but Suter was the major mistake.