Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Twins finally get to play again, assuming the game isn't rained out in Puerto Rico. But I'd think, from my experience in Puerto Rico a few years ago, it's more likely that it might just be delayed. I'll be happy to watch some more baseball again that is being played by a team I care about as compared to watching a Mets/Brewers game (though, it was a good game).

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

And, honestly, this is why i really have nothing more than a fleeting interest in professional basketball. 

I'm not a fan of NBA officiating either, but there are pass interference and roughing the passer calls like this all the time. There are plenty of reasons to not be a fan of any sport, but to put it all on the officials seems silly.

I think with the NBA the issue that I have and why I don't generally watch all that much unless it's the Wolves, and even then it'll be something I flip to versus sit down and watch, is because of the perceived and probably true preference to certain star players or star teams. There is a level of ticky-tack fouls in the NBA that skews towards the better players and teams and in turn they are allowed to get away with more. The NBA has their full officiating set-up done on those sorts of fouls that are judgement calls. I think compared to other sports, it's the most noticeable.

With the exception of pass interference and roughing the passer, I don't think there is a level of subjectiveness in football that there is in basketball. With balls and strikes in baseball, you could argue that is just as subjective, but I feel like each umpire in baseball has their own strike zone and it's easier to adjust to as a player versus in the NBA where subjective calls will still be made. And in the NHL, I feel like they often err on the side of not calling, versus the NBA which is err on the side of calling fouls. Not much that can really be done about it in the NBA, maybe a reduction in star team/star player calls could happen so it's more balanced, but just because of the talent level discrepancies that are in the NBA versus other sports, some of it is legitimate, and some of it isn't, which means someone will always complain.

• Like 1

Michael Jordan ruined the NBA game for me.  While there has always been a "star" factor in the game, dating back to the start of the David Stern era, it's been accelerated to the point where the games are really just LeBron v. Curry/Durant or Harden v Irving rather than being between Cleveland and Golden State or Houston and Boston.  The individual players have superseded the actual towns they play in, so they no longer represent the city/state/town, they represent themselves solely.  It's not nearly the team game it once was...even when it was the Showtime Lakers vs. the Workmanlike Celtics in the 80s, it was still team basketball.  This NBA ain't team basketball.  

• Like 3

Yeah, that's kind of when I felt the downfall happened. Not like I watched much basketball even when Jordan was big, but I remember watching some of a finals, as I was a Karl Malone and John Stockton fan and just watching some of the calls that Jordan got. The consistent, star player makes dumb decision and gets bailed out because of a call is very frustrating. Plus, the length/speed of the end of the games is just horrible. The constant fouling, timeouts, rinsing and repeating make it unwatchable to me. Granted, Wolves OT game to get into the playoffs, it was great, but that's because that game meant something versus so many games in the middle of January where it doesn't really matter that much and it still takes 20 minutes to play the last two minutes of the game.

I'd really love it they started calling intentional fouls as a flagrant foul at the end of the game, change things up a lot and probably make the NBA more interesting to watch.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m waiting for professional basketball to simply turn into 25-30 individual players to market themselves and turn the NBA into a bunch of 1-on-1 matchups. 

Or for the 3 on 3 league to become bigger than the NBA (probably already is as enjoyable to watch if not more so). And is probably better officiated simply because with 3 on 3 you can actually see if something is a foul or not.

29 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, that's kind of when I felt the downfall happened. Not like I watched much basketball even when Jordan was big, but I remember watching some of a finals, as I was a Karl Malone and John Stockton fan and just watching some of the calls that Jordan got. The consistent, star player makes dumb decision and gets bailed out because of a call is very frustrating. Plus, the length/speed of the end of the games is just horrible. The constant fouling, timeouts, rinsing and repeating make it unwatchable to me. Granted, Wolves OT game to get into the playoffs, it was great, but that's because that game meant something versus so many games in the middle of January where it doesn't really matter that much and it still takes 20 minutes to play the last two minutes of the game.

I'd really love it they started calling intentional fouls as a flagrant foul at the end of the game, change things up a lot and probably make the NBA more interesting to watch.

Right there is my problem with it. The game flow is horrible. The end of the game should be the most exciting part, but there's a stoppage every 5 seconds in the last 2 minutes. They did well to limit teams to 2 timeouts in the last 2 minutes, but there is still work to be done. 

Yeah, besides my flagrant foul idea, other options would be, if you foul outside the 3 point line, even in a non-shooting action, it's three free throws. Or make the shot clock shorter at the end of games, I don't know, but it is really so boring, there has to be some sort of fix that would actually  make it worthwhile to watch instead of just seeing if someone misses a free throw or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, besides my flagrant foul idea, other options would be, if you foul outside the 3 point line, even in a non-shooting action, it's three free throws. Or make the shot clock shorter at the end of games, I don't know, but it is really so boring, there has to be some sort of fix that would actually  make it worthwhile to watch instead of just seeing if someone misses a free throw or not.

Hockey style line changes in transition 

You could also take the NFL-style 10-second run off and apply it to the NBA game where intentional fouls in the last 2 minutes would cause a 10-second run-off (or if 10 seconds is too harsh, make it 6 or 8 as that is a portion of the 24-second shot clock).  

I like that suggestion. I'd think eight seconds would be solid and make it more tense and drop down on the fouling. NBA teams might actually have to learn to play defense. That wouldn't be ideal for the Wolves, but would make the game more watchable.

• Like 2