Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I caught some of the game, shame for the later start time. But that was just impressive. I am shocked that Murray wasn't T'd up and tossed from the game yesterday. I hope that he gets suspended for the next game, if he doesn't, that's a really bad look by the NBA. But even with them throwing some tantrums and the Wolves without Gobert the Wolves just swarmed on defense. 

The Nuggets' coach should have been tossed too. He came all the way across the floor to yell at the referee. The fact he wasn't even given a technical foul is insane. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SotanKing said:

The first half defense from Wolves was probably the best defensive half from any team in NBA in maybe like nearly 2 decades, especially against a team like Nuggets....Wolves were incredibly disciplined even without DPOY

The Timberwolves are the best team in the NBA when they're on. It's not a stretch to say that they could conceivably sweep their way to the Finals. Even when the shots aren't falling, their defense is going to keep them in every game. They have an answer for every superstar they'll see. They're demoralizing Jokic, and they've broken Murray. SGA is going to provide a different challenge, but the length they can throw at him is going to force him to be near-perfect to get his.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

It makes me happy that you guys are so excited about that funny little peach basket game and the Wolves' chances this year.

When those chances seem to come around less often than Halley's Comet, there probably is reason to be excited.

FWIW, I'm hoping to stick around for Halley to come back around, I didn't get to see it the last time as I think it was cloudy that night...or I had school the next day.  🤣 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

When those chances seem to come around less often than Halley's Comet, there probably is reason to be excited.

FWIW, I'm hoping to stick around for Halley to come back around, I didn't get to see it the last time as I think it was cloudy that night...or I had school the next day.  🤣 

Next one will be VDs 4th. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

The San Jose Sharks won the NHL draft lottery last night and will select #1 overall, the Chicago Blackhawks will be picking 2nd. Our beloved Minnesota Wild did not improve/hurt their position and will be picking 13th.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40102839/san-jose-sharks-win-nhl-draft-lottery-right-choose-no-1

Today I learned the NHL has a draft lottery.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Well, since their commissioner was a NBA guy under Stern back in the '80s, shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.  I'm just surprised that he's still the commissioner after all the nonsense that went on during the 90s and early 2000s...but he survived it.  

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

i've never watched a full game of hockey in my life. i don't think i've ever watched a full period of it. zero interest in the sport. perhaps less than zero.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i've never watched a full game of hockey in my life. i don't think i've ever watched a full period of it. zero interest in the sport. perhaps less than zero.

It's terrible on TV, but it is, by far, the best sport to watch in person. There's absolutely no other sport that compares. 

The last hockey game I saw in person was a preseason game here in KC between the Wild and the Blues several years ago.  Prior to that, you'd have to go back to the last season of the North Stars.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's terrible on TV, but it is, by far, the best sport to watch in person. There's absolutely no other sport that compares. 

The last hockey game I saw in person was a preseason game here in KC between the Wild and the Blues several years ago.  Prior to that, you'd have to go back to the last season of the North Stars.

As someone who has spent 34 years as a football player, coach, official, and administrator,  I agree.   I love Friday Night Lights, but for me it can't compare to the rink...  the smell of the ice (not the hockey gear), the sound of skates, sticks, and pucks, and the speed and skill.  Because of the skill it takes to even play and the enclosed rink, hockey has its own unique culture.  It is pretty cool to be in the Minnesota hockey community.  You can walk into almost any High School Rink (especially the Northern Small Towns) in the State and see all the players who have played on DI, Olympic, and NHL teams.  My son just finished playing juniors and has already had a number of guys he has played with and against get drafted in NHL or playing on DI teams.

• Like 3

Personally, I love NBA basketball in person. The athleticism pops so much more than on TV. I like hocky live, but prefer the NBA. I'd rank live sports as follows:

NBA

NHL

FUTBOL

MLB

NFL

But I still love NFL games. It's just that it's much easier to follow on TV, and if you're in a corner or end zone, you don't have a great view of the action half the game.