Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

This is what I'd heard as well.

He's certainly provided some spark since he's returned to the lineup.

What do you think they do with him in the offseason?

He’s got a no move clause, and a high cap number that teams would want to send a bad contract back for. There’s also the problem of cap recapture penalties for when he and Suter retire (if it’s before their contracts expire). 

after this season, and how he was used, I bet he’d waive his no move clause and may even be willing to waive it for the expansion draft. If I’m management, I definitely go to him and ask to waive for expansion (Seattle likely wouldn’t take him), so that I could protect another young forward. 

Yeah there are a lot of options on the table. Even if some of them aren't as realistic as other; trade, buyout, waive NMC, do nothing.

I'm trying to get a better sense of things over on HF boards on what those guys think will happen as well. Sounds like the buyout may be in play if Parise agrees to waive his NMC.

Another interesting case is what happens with Dumba since our 3 D slots are auto protects via the NMC (Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin)?

A buyout doesn’t make much sense to me. Yeah, we’d get some cap room for next year, but the difference in just having Parise on the roster and buying him out in years 2, 3, and 4 is negligible. Then he’d also be on the books for around a 900k cap hit for an additional 4 years after his contract would have run out. 

And now you've reached the annual dead zone of Minnesota sports, considering it's really only the Twins going on (although so is the Lynx, but apparently they're terrible too this year) and we know how the baseball season just drags on forever.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And now you've reached the annual dead zone of Minnesota sports, considering it's really only the Twins going on (although so is the Lynx, but apparently they're terrible too this year) and we know how the baseball season just drags on forever.  

Agreed, although football is starting to ramp up luckily so we got that to look forward to.

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

excuse me?

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Not confident the Wild would have looked any better than Vegas tonight. 

The Avs look good and to me and my eyes look like one of the favorites to win the cup this year, Lightning and Avs are who im calling to make it to the cup, With that said the backup goalie for Vegas looked TERRIBLE last night haha He looked like he doesnt even belong on a NHL roster he looked that bad at times. Given I think that was his first start in 3 months and on the road in the playoffs so it wasnt all gravy train.

What makes the Avs so good? Well coached? Do they have a bunch of stars? Only one i know is that Nathan Mackinnon fella and one other guy who name escapes me I think his last name starts with an L or something, Got into a fight in round 1 against the Blues.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:41 PM, Heimdallr said:

excuse me?

Oh, yeah...that futbol team is playing too.  😅  I always forget about them, because they are...and always will be a niche sport...kinda like hockey is in most of the country.    

Edited by swede700

54 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Oh, yeah...that futbol team is playing too.  😅  I always forget about them, because they are...and always will be a niche sport...kinda like hockey is in most of the country.    

MLS is growing significantly in popularity. They already draw more fans (at least in 2019) than the NHL and NBA, and multiple teams had a higher attendance than a lot of MLB teams. In fact, the Atlanta MLS team drew more fans than the Cubs or Red Sox. The MLS TV deals get better each time around. It's not a niche sport now, but in ten years (less if the USA makes a significant run in the World Cup), it will be rivalling baseball as the 2nd most popular sport in American. 

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

MLS is growing significantly in popularity. They already draw more fans (at least in 2019) than the NHL and NBA, and multiple teams had a higher attendance than a lot of MLB teams. In fact, the Atlanta MLS team drew more fans than the Cubs or Red Sox. The MLS TV deals get better each time around. It's not a niche sport now, but in ten years (less if the USA makes a significant run in the World Cup), it will be rivalling baseball as the 2nd most popular sport in American. 

You can continue to try to say that, but I'll believe it when I see it.  I look here in KC, which is one of the most popular teams in the sport, and the Royals still get lead discussion...and often HS sports gets more play time than Sporting KC does.  It doesn't move the needle. 

And certainly it's going to draw more fans, because it has a more devoted following than baseball does, which draws in the more casual fans than soccer does and so attendance is more sporadic and much lower than capacity. 

MLS may be catching up to baseball in popularity, but that's due to the failures of baseball in particular to keep up with the times as the games take far too long (mostly due to it's slow pace of play) and the season lasts far too long.  

Also, attendance isn't all that it's cracked up to be, people can't afford to go to NBA games, but they still watch it far more than most will watch soccer.  The soccer rules and seasons are too hard to keep track of and follow, which is what makes it a niche sport...and always will be.  You'll always have your diehards who will try to convince you that it's a "beautiful game", but the casual sports fan is never going to pay attention to it. 

I will be convinced that it has the potential to be a significant player in the sports world when soccer players names will roll off people's tongues like Patrick Mahomes and LeBron James does.  Right now, as an even less than casual fan of the sport, I can't tell you a single player that plays in the MLS...and I can't tell you I've ever seen a single MLS player in a commercial for anything.  It may not be the best way to gauge popularity of a sport, but its one of the easiest ways to do so.

I will never fault people for wanting to defend a sport they love to watch and play...I have certain sports that I find fascinating to watch...track and field, bicycling, and rugby...and soccer has a significantly better chance to make it to the promised land of not being niche sports than they do...but I don't believe it will get there either.  If it does, it will be long after I'm dead.       

Edited by swede700