Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

17 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's crazy that they are holding the rotation together with 3 rookie starters and making a playoff push. How are they going to prevent them from getting burnt out with the increased workload?  

I remember the days of 4-man rotations.

On 8/23/2024 at 1:36 PM, vikesfan89 said:

I do to. 

My  n64 game went with 4 man rotations

The crazy thing is that you only had 4-man rotations (and a 5th starter would go every so often) and they generally pitched into the 7th inning and gosh forbid once in awhile pitched a complete game. 

I suppose there's the benefit that with more pitchers going fewer innings, they have the ability to throw harder (which based on what I hear, they do), but I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing, because that can still lead to more injuries.  

I won't say that analytics have ruined the game, but I certainly believe it took some things away and made it a different game.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

If the objective is to win the game, and pitchers naturally do worse in games the more often they see batters, it only makes sense to manage your pitching staff that way. Go full tilt for as long as you're pitching, then give way to others based on matchups.

I believe that there's something to momentum in a game-to-game scenario that analytics can't account for, and when a guy is locked in you shouldn't pull him because the analytics say so, which happens too often, but overall I think pitching is better than it has ever been. 

The pitch clock has also made baseball way more enjoyable. 2.5 hours instead of 4 every day for months adds up.

• Like 1

Just now, JDBrocks said:

The pitch clock has also made baseball way more enjoyable. 2.5 hours instead of 4 every day for months adds up.

That I agree with.  I had been clamoring for it for years...unlike many fans when I'm at the game I'm actually paying attention to it, and I got exhausted watching guys playing with their chains in the batters box and the pitcher wandering around the mound playing with the rosin bag and wiping off his brow for 5 minutes. 

• Like 2

Games had just gotten unwatchable before the rule changes. Games took way too long, and the 5 man rotatations and pitch counts, in conjunction with shifts, just made the games boring slogs. I agree with @swede700 that I enjoyed baseball more before analytics, but it's definitely watchable again. I really hate the fact that we'll never see another 300 win or 4000 strikeout guy again. We'll see the home run record broken and tied smoeday. But all of the major pitching records are essentially set in stone now. 

I absolutely agree with @JDBrocks about bucking analytics from time to time. Nothing makes me more disgusted about the current game than when a manager pulls a pitcher who is throwing a no-hitter. Analytics be damned. Ride the hot hand and give the pitcher and fans a chance to witness something special.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2024 at 9:25 AM, wcblack34 said:

Games had just gotten unwatchable before the rule changes. Games took way too long, and the 5 man rotatations and pitch counts, in conjunction with shifts, just made the games boring slogs. I agree with @swede700 that I enjoyed baseball more before analytics, but it's definitely watchable again. I really hate the fact that we'll never see another 300 win or 4000 strikeout guy again. We'll see the home run record broken and tied smoeday. But all of the major pitching records are essentially set in stone now. 

I absolutely agree with @JDBrocks about bucking analytics from time to time. Nothing makes me more disgusted about the current game than when a manager pulls a pitcher who is throwing a no-hitter. Analytics be damned. Ride the hot hand and give the pitcher and fans a chance to witness something special.

As much as the Twins use analytics, last year Twins starters pitched more innings than any team in baseball, and this year they are 11th even with all of the injuries and being careful with a bunch of rookies cycling in and out of the rotation.

They were near the bottom of the league in 2022, but that was the year they trotted out Dylan Bundy and Chris Archer for 54 starts.

Rocco has his issues, but I don't think he has a quick hook compared to other managers. I get more annoyed with how quickly he goes to the bench for matchups. I'm sorry, but there's not a world in which Farmer or Margot should take at bats away from Larnach or Wallner. Having so many switch hitters in the lineup has helped a lot this year, but that stuff drives me crazy. Down a run or two with guys on base and you bring in the sub .600 OPS guy to strike out.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Can the Fleck era be over? 

I just don’t know how someone with so much exuberance can build a team that plays with such little energy on offense. 

agreed. The defense can ball, though.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

agreed. The defense can ball, though.

The defense is fine. But it’s been 8 years of this fangless offense. I just can’t get over how passive and meek this offense plays. 

And I just can’t get over the fact that a 5th year transfer from New Hampshire is the best that they can do at quarterback. 

• Like 1