Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

That's awesome, doesn't surprise me too much. Right now the Vikings need to get the TO numbers up. I don't think there's any Vikings starters on defense that is having a terrible year right now, though there have been rough patches for Trae Waynes, but that's mainly compared against what Rhodes has done the past year or two, and that's kind of an unreasonable to compare.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

That's awesome, doesn't surprise me too much. Right now the Vikings need to get the TO numbers up. I don't think there's any Vikings starters on defense that is having a terrible year right now, though there have been rough patches for Trae Waynes, but that's mainly compared against what Rhodes has done the past year or two, and that's kind of an unreasonable to compare.

I agree with getting turnovers up. Great defenses need to be opportunistic, the Vikings have not been.

im a bit dissapointed with the interior line. Stephen and Johnson aren't effective and haven't been getting much push. Pass rush could potentially be better, it baffles me that Jaleel Johnson isn't active. I'd take him in the lineup over Tom Johnson at this point. We need Stephen to backup Joseph.

Waynes has been underwhelming, he needs to trust his physical ability. He'd be a much better CB.

20 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Which would mean likely that Linval will be on the field for every snap, because I wouldn't trust Jaleel playing the nose.  

Joseph won't play in nickel. I think that would be the Johnson duo, and Robison. Bears will probably stick to the ground game which means less nickel than usual.

im excited to see Jaleel get an opportunity. Hate to see injuries, fortunately it's minor, but sometimes they can be a blessing (see Diggs rookie year).

On 10/2/2017 at 10:43 AM, SteelKing728 said:

How's the majority of this board feel about Trae Waynes? Good enough to give a 5th year option to or let him go after next season? I think an argument could be made either way.

I think that he will be by the end of the season. Right now, it seems a little rough, but I tend to think that is more because we have Rhodes opposite of him. I'd have to go look through all of the stats, but he seems to give up his big plays on PI's. And he is really good at stopping the run. I'd lean towards giving it to him, better give it to him then go with Alexander and have to play a rookie at the nickle.

27 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I think that he will be by the end of the season. Right now, it seems a little rough, but I tend to think that is more because we have Rhodes opposite of him. I'd have to go look through all of the stats, but he seems to give up his big plays on PI's. And he is really good at stopping the run. I'd lean towards giving it to him, better give it to him then go with Alexander and have to play a rookie at the nickle.

I think you're missing a word here, and I'm assuming its "fine"xD

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think you're missing a word here, and I'm assuming its "fine"xD

The question was if he'll be good enough to give a 5th year option to. That's what he'll be by the end of the year.

I honestly wouldn't mind letting him walk. FA CBs get ridiculous contracts in FA and I don't expect MN to be very active in the next couple of offseasons as they lock up Diggs, Hunter, Barr and Kendricks, who all could get top dollar and be amongst the highest paid at their positions.

keep Waynes for one more year, draft another CB in 2018 and by then, Alexander will be more seasoned.

The Vikings defense continues to pace the team’s effort and put on another dominant performance on Monday night. Chicago didn’t score an offensive point until 12:24 to play in the game, and that was on a fluke play when Andrew Sendejo tipped a Mitchell Trubisky pass in the end zone and it landed right in tight end Zach Miller’s arms for the score. Outside of that, there was nothing the Bears offense could do to move the ball on the Vikings defense. Chicago had only one red zone possession on the night and they ran a play from scrimmage in Vikings territory just twice in the final nine drives. The Bears were three of 12 (25%) on 3rd down and had nine of their 12 drives generate zero or only one 1st down. For the season, the Vikings defense has held opponents to 14 of 55 (25.5%) on 3rd downs, tops in the NFL.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5-Takeaways-from-Monday-Nights-Win-in-Chicago/bfbfdf30-6de8-4541-8b5e-617b65972d0f?sf120709812=1

Archived