Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

How many defenses can say they have two or more Pro Bowl caliber players at each level of the defense? It probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. I think 7 defensive players could make a legitimate case that they deserve to go.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

How many defenses can say they have two or more Pro Bowl caliber players at each level of the defense? It probably won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. I think 7 defensive players could make a legitimate case that they deserve to go.

I've got 6:

Rhodes
Smith
Kendricks
Barr
Griffen
Joseph

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Hunter needs to pick up the pace in terms of sack production, the talent is there undoubtedly.

Agreed. That's why I left him off of the list. I don't think he has a chance of making the pro bowl if the voting was today.

I think the Vikes defense is starting to look a lot like the Seattles defense a few years ago in terms of young talent at many levels. Age and second contracts kind of limited Seattles ability to sustain it. Seattle still has a great defense but they were forced to part with talent. I wonder how MN will fare once Barr, Kendricks and Hunter are paid. This is why I'd start looking for a new CB ready to go for when Waynes is a free agent. Tough decisions aren't a bad thing, means we have an abundance of talent.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the Vikes defense is starting to look a lot like the Seattles defense a few years ago in terms of young talent at many levels. Age and second contracts kind of limited Seattles ability to sustain it. Seattle still has a great defense but they were forced to part with talent. I wonder how MN will fare once Barr, Kendricks and Hunter are paid. This is why I'd start looking for a new CB ready to go for when Waynes is a free agent. Tough decisions aren't a bad thing, means we have an abundance of talent.

I think one of Waynes/Alexander will have to go, since they both will likely come up in 2020.  Personally, at this point, I'd rather keep Waynes.    

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Agreed. That's why I left him off of the list. I don't think he has a chance of making the pro bowl if the voting was today.

I could see him as maybe being an alternate, or someone who gets added later at this point. He has been playing well, he just isn't racking up the sacks like one might expect. Plus, Pro Bowl voting does seem to go a lot off of those sorts of stats, so I too wouldn't expect him to make it as of right now.

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

I think one of Waynes/Alexander will have to go, since they both will likely come up in 2020.  Personally, at this point, I'd rather keep Waynes.    

I would be inclined to draft the replacement CB, and not offer a second contract to Waynes.

If your not a star starter on our defense Rhodes/Smith/Kendricks/Barr/Griffen/Joseph/Hunter (7) ... I'm fine with talent/contract being rookie level for DT/CB/LB

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman was a busy man during training camp this past summer when he locked up Everson Griffen, Xavier Rhodes and Linval Joseph to multiyear contract extensions.Three defensive starters … three cornerstones … and three moves that already appear to be paying off. Spielman spoke to a small gathering of Twin Cities media members on Wednesday for his annual bye week session, and said that he’s been pleased with how each has performed since signing his deal. 

Spielman: “Even when they got their extensions and the big contract, their level of play actually increased. That’s what you’re hoping when you do sign guys to extensions. That is built off of the leadership of Coach Zim’ in the locker room and the leadership and the chemistry we’ve tried to put together. We try to reward guys that fit all of that ‘smart, tough, love and have passion for the game’. I think those three guys are pretty good examples of guys getting rewarded their play, and then taking their play up another level when they did get rewarded.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Summer-Contract-Extensions-Paying-Off-for-Vikings-Defense/7e8b34a0-0383-4404-9a85-de8845e62f7a?sf136321248=1

Archived