Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Between him and Kendricks, the LBs will soon become expensive. They both need to be taken care of, both players are so dynamic.

A lot of money invested all around on the defense may be coming soon enough

Everson, Rhodes, Smith, Barr, Kendricks, Linval, and even Hunter may become a possibility down the road depending on how he develops

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Everson, Rhodes, Smith, Barr, Kendricks, Linval, and even Hunter may become a possibility down the road depending on how he develops

This is why I'm against forking out a big contract for Case.

This defense can win with a mediocre QB behind center. It needs to be left as close to in-tact as possible.

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This defense can win with a mediocre QB behind center. It needs to be left as close to in-tact as possible.

with carry-over and the cap number which should keep rising we honestly have plenty of cap to sign Case to a $15-$18M/yr contract without hurting us.

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

with carry-over and the cap number which should keep rising we honestly have plenty of cap to sign Case to a $15-$18M/yr contract without hurting us.

Yeah I don't think money is an issue. Just have to avoid giving free agents big contracts. Fortunately, MN doesn't have any major needs.

7 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

It can win in the regular season, but can it get to a Super Bowl? I do think you still need a little offensive punch.

14 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

There is no "down the road" for Hunter.  He's in the last year of his deal next year.  He'll need to get his extension done this offseason, as far as I'm concerned.

54 minutes ago, disaacs said:

There is no "down the road" for Hunter.  He's in the last year of his deal next year.  He'll need to get his extension done this offseason, as far as I'm concerned.

It would be the easiest and cheapest way we could get him. As he keeps developing, next year he could bet on himself.

16 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I remember drafting Barr being so confused how he would fit in. Everything you watched him do he found the most success as a pass rusher.

Now look at the guy, he is great in the screen / flat routes.

With 1 sack...

Yea, this board was outraged with his drafting.

He was top on my board, though cause I loved his versatility plus measurable, and LB was desperately needed.

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

He was top on my board, though cause I loved his versatility plus measurable, and LB was desperately needed.

I wouldn't say outraged...I think most of us were just as indicated earlier...confused.  It didn't make sense, considering we were all told that he was guaranteed to be a 3-4 edge rusher, not a 4-3 OLB.  I think most expected the Vikings to take Aaron Donald.  

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I was mad because he was never a 4-3 LB in college.

We never saw him play as a stand up LB in pass coverage, really nobody did.

and we left Aaron Donald on the board.

I wanted Donald in the worst way, still would give up Barr for him.

After putting up 12.5 sacks in 2016, Danielle Hunter just notched his seventh of the 2017 season last week. Zimmer said the defensive end is making a significant impact on the game nevertheless. Zimmer praised the third-year player, saying he was especially impressed by his performance against the Bengals on Sunday.

Zimmer: “I thought last week maybe he played his best game. I’m hoping it continues to go forward here.Like a lot of young guys and when they first start becoming a full-time player, they never want to make a mistake. React and use his athletic abilities and not so much rely on his thinking or being careful that, ‘I might make a mistake here or there.’  I think that’s been a learning process for him this year. Last week he did that, and I hope it continues to move forward that way.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Presser-Points-Zimmer-Describes-How-Vikings-Packers-Goes-Beyond-Rivalry/6e8ff8dd-1584-4fde-9b33-d3a708130e2a?sf176912198=1

6 hours ago, disaacs said:

I wouldn't say outraged...I think most of us were just as indicated earlier...confused.  It didn't make sense, considering we were all told that he was guaranteed to be a 3-4 edge rusher, not a 4-3 OLB.  I think most expected the Vikings to take Aaron Donald.  

Donald would have been the better pick in hindsight. At the time, we had a healthy Floyd. 

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Donald would have been the better pick in hindsight. At the time, we had a healthy Floyd. 

Few players are better than Donald, and Barr is not of them. With that said, I'm happy we took Barr and would not trade him for Donald straight up.

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Didn't matter much to me, at the time I wanted him as a DE.

Said it from the start that I wanted him

I wasn't that fan of Linval that we were at the time. (boy was I wrong) and nobody knew what Tom Johnson was.

Our Defensive line had no depth, I was raving on how Zimmer in Cinci was constantly working players in and out along the defensive line. Donald could play a 4-3 DE and 4-3 DT.

Absolutely hated the idea of Barr at the time, for the fact of never playing outside LB in a 4-3 and he was way to small in Zimmers system to play DE and I didn't understand it.

Only other guy (outside of Teddy/Manziel of course) I was banging my head for was Ryan Shazier, which has been a solid player, but for how it has turned out Barr has turned out just as well for us and now we don't know what the deal is for Shazier.

Hated the idea of OBJ, Carr, Martin like everyone wanted outside of the QB situation.

Glad I am not a true scout because I sure was wrong on Barr, Manziel, OBJ, Carr, and Martin.

Archived