Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Yeah, if I remember correctly, more people were banging the table for Teddy than they were for Donald.

There were really two groups if I remember right.

QB group Manziel vs Teddy vs Carr (2 people maybe)

Trenches group OL/DL

Either you thought this team was so far away you wanted to get help in the trenches

or you thought we just needed a QB

I was part of two.

Even had the cool Johnny Manziel in a Vikings sig jersey.

Believe I made a Teddy one that 25 people were wearing, and Aaron Donald one for myself, and a Zach Martin one for someone else.

Times were different back in the dark days.

17 hours ago, RedRider said:

Few players are better than Donald, and Barr is not of them. With that said, I'm happy we took Barr and would not trade him for Donald straight up.

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd trade Barr for Donald straight up. That front four would be unblockable.

I tried to get Donald in Madden '18 last night and the Rams wouldn't take 3 1sts for him. (I acquired 2 additional 1sts by trading Bradford (Jets) and S. Floyd (Patriots).) :D

I'd have a hard time giving up Donald for 3 firsts in real life right now if I was the Rams.

He is the glue to that Defense, best player in the NFL outside of the QB position, and maybe even the most important outside of the QB position.

I realize what you can get with 3 first round picks, but giving up a once in a decade type player is hard to give up for 3 future unknowns.

I would trade Barr for Donald, but then I would elevate LB need to 1st/2nd round, as we wouldn't have another player (other then Eric) to properly run the Double A gap blitz. I actually think we might become a "poorer" overall defense if we couldn't find a suitable 3 down LB to replace Barr.

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I would trade Barr for Donald, but then I would elevate LB need to 1st/2nd round, as we wouldn't have another player (other then Eric) to properly run the Double A gap blitz. I actually think we might become a "poorer" overall defense if we couldn't find a suitable 3 down LB to replace Barr.

Gedeon might have to step into that role hypothetically. But I agree. Instead of looking at DT in round 1-2, we'd look at LB instead. Ultimately the question is will we have an easier time finding Donald or Barr in the draft? I think Donald is a more special player than Barr.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Gedeon might have to step into that role hypothetically. But I agree. Instead of looking at DT in round 1-2, we'd look at LB instead. Ultimately the question is will we have an easier time finding Donald or Barr in the draft? I think Donald is a more special player than Barr.

There is no doubt Donald is the more special player. It’s not even close. Once in a generation player if he keeps his play where it is at.

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

There is no doubt Donald is the more special player. It’s not even close. Once in a generation player if he keeps his play where it is at.

Donald is better, but I feel it's easier to replace a 3T than a LB like Barr. Look how dominant we've been with Tom freakin' Johnson at 3T. It's easy to say adding Donald would make the line that much better, but it's possible Barr is more important to the LBs than Donald would be to the DL.

13 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Donald is better, but I feel it's easier to replace a 3T than a LB like Barr. Look how dominant we've been with Tom freakin' Johnson at 3T. It's easy to say adding Donald would make the line that much better, but it's possible Barr is more important to the LBs than Donald would be to the DL.

Yes, there is a fair argument.

Still believe Donald would make more of an impact. From being a great run defender, not to mention the double teams he would command on the double A gap and taking pressure off Griffen and the rest of the line.

surely would be lacking in the screen game tho. Barr is so great at those and containing outside running. Barr and Kendrick’s are a great pair for that.

31 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I tend to agree.  I think it would be significantly more difficult to replace Barr with someone else than replacing Donald.  What Zimmer asks of Barr is so much greater and rarer to find and that while yes, Donald would make the line better, the whole defense I believe would suffer.  

5 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I tend to agree.  I think it would be significantly more difficult to replace Barr with someone else than replacing Donald.  What Zimmer asks of Barr is so much greater and rarer to find and that while yes, Donald would make the line better, the whole defense I believe would suffer.  

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Agreed. 

I disagree. Donald is a complete menace in the interior. He'd provide an element that we haven't seen yet since Zimmer took over as HC. We've never had an interior pass rusher capable of putting up 10+ sacks per year. Can you imagine the looks we could give defenses knowing that Donald and Joseph are mostly unblockable?

Barr has been great this year but there are many great off ball LBs in this league. How many players can do what Donald does? 

Archived