Defense - Raising the Barr

vike daddy

Asked this week what separates a good defense from a great one, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, “Probably the biggest thing is winning the game in the fourth quarter and being able to take over the game. I guess that would be it.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/08/vikings-defense-has-been-great-but-is-it-headed-for-greatness/

• 2 weeks later...

When asked specifically about a chance in Anthony Barr this season, Zimmer said that the linebacker is having a great year. Barr through 13 games has recorded 84 tackles (60 solo), 1.0 sack, six passes defensed and eight tackles for loss. And beyond the stat sheet, he’s made a big-picture difference for Minnesota’s defense.

Zimmer: “He’s playing really good, he’s been very active. He’s on top of things, he makes a lot of checks for the defense and things going on. On the field, he’s been physical, very active in really all phases of the game.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Presser-Points-Zimmer-Lists-3-Reasons-Why-He-Expects-Vikings-Full-Focus/1c26b561-d1f8-40e5-99a4-e9858d8a5f16?sf176705528=1

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I remember drafting Barr being so confused how he would fit in. Everything you watched him do he found the most success as a pass rusher.

Now look at the guy, he is great in the screen / flat routes.

With 1 sack...

Makes me wonder if he'd want to look for a new team and not resign here. A 3-4 pass rushing LB makes a heck of a lot more than a 4-3 OLB. I felt the same that the fit was odd. Barr's having a good year, just wish they could get him more involved as a pass rusher. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Makes me wonder if he'd want to look for a new team and not resign here. A 3-4 pass rushing LB makes a heck of a lot more than a 4-3 OLB. I felt the same that the fit was odd. Barr's having a good year, just wish they could get him more involved as a pass rusher. 

He will get Jamie Collins type money. I said it on here before and I believe it was JR that just said it the other day on twitter.

Too hard to change now I believe for him. For him just to sign into a 3-4 type system he most likely would end up be taking a paycut because of the unknown how he will preform.

He is pretty active in pass rush when blitzing, but with his size he isn't always getting the sack numbers up the middle like he would but while rushing he is creating a ton of pressure and truly is a huge key for us.

Archived