Has there ever been an NFL player with a weirder career arc than Nick Foles?

Apparition

After 6 years in the league, we know what Foles is and I imagine Nick Foles himself does too. A solid-to-good backup option but average at best starting QB. We have seen sparks like this too many times to count including Kyle Orton who he reminds me alot of. 

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

After 6 years in the league, we know what Foles is and I imagine Nick Foles himself does too. A solid-to-good backup option but average at best starting QB. We have seen sparks like this too many times to count including Kyle Orton who he reminds me alot of. 

And yet if the Eagles win, someone will absolutely give too much to get Foles as their starting QB.

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

And yet if the Eagles win, someone will absolutely give too much to get Foles as their starting QB.

Maybe but it isn't going to be a pick in the first 2 rounds. Still, it would probably be an overpay considering what you will likely be getting which is an inconsistent backup QB.

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe but it isn't going to be a pick in the first 2 rounds. Still, it would probably be an overpay considering what you will likely be getting which is an inconsistent backup QB.

I dunno. We've seen weirder compensation for QBs. I could totally see a team throwing a 2nd rounder at Philly and giving Foles $18M per on an extension thinking he's legit. Provided the superbowl goes similar to today, in terms of his performance.

24 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I dunno. We've seen weirder compensation for QBs. I could totally see a team throwing a 2nd rounder at Philly and giving Foles $18M per on an extension thinking he's legit. Provided the superbowl goes similar to today, in terms of his performance.

Team already traded for Nick foles, the eagles gave up more for the superior Bradford than they got for Foles.

I really doubt after his Stint with the rams many teams are going to see this is as a "Second coming" of Foles. 

Ryan vogelsong comes to mind. He was a pitcher for the San Francisco Giants. Drafted in the 5th round in 1998 (5th round is pretty high in baseball there's 40 rounds) spent a few years in the minors then in 2001 started the year 0-5 with a 6.75 era and was traded to the pirates. He then got hurt a few weeks later, had Tommy John surgery and was out until 2003. In 2004 he pitched the whole year and went 6-13 with a 6.50 era. Then he was moved to the bullpen in 2005 and had an era of 4.5. 

Then he went to Japan, played for 2 different teams between 2007 and 2009. 2010 he's on the Phillies AAA team and has an era in the mid 4s again. Goes to the angels AAA team and again has an era in the mid 4s. 

Then in 2011 he signs with the giants to fill in for injury, pitches against the pirates (who the giants traded him to 10 years earlier) and he strikes out 8 guys and gives up 4 hits. Ends up making the all Star team that year and goes 13-7 with a 2.71 era. 2012 he leads the NL in era before the all Star break and finishes 14-9 with a 3.3 era. Then in the playoffs the giants are down 0-2 in a 5 game series against the reds, he pitches a gem, giants win, end up taking the series. Next series we are facing elimination again in game 6, vogelsong pitches a gem we win then we go on to win the world series. He went 3-0 in four games with 24 innings pitched and a 1.00 era in the post season. The giants don't win their first world series in San Francisco without him. 

TLDR: drafted by giants in 1998, fell out of the league, went to Japan, bounced around the MLB, landed back with the giants, dominates in the playoffs and wins a world series in 2012 

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Ryan vogelsong comes to mind. He was a pitcher for the San Francisco Giants. Drafted in the 5th round in 1998 (5th round is pretty high in baseball there's 40 rounds) spent a few years in the minors then in 2001 started the year 0-5 with a 6.75 era and was traded to the pirates. He then got hurt a few weeks later, had Tommy John surgery and was out until 2003. In 2004 he pitched the whole year and went 6-13 with a 6.50 era. Then he was moved to the bullpen in 2005 and had an era of 4.5. 

Then he went to Japan, played for 2 different teams between 2007 and 2009. 2010 he's on the Phillies AAA team and has an era in the mid 4s again. Goes to the angels AAA team and again has an era in the mid 4s. 

Then in 2011 he signs with the giants to fill in for injury, pitches against the pirates (who the giants traded him to 10 years earlier) and he strikes out 8 guys and gives up 4 hits. Ends up making the all Star team that year and goes 13-7 with a 2.71 era. 2012 he leads the NL in era before the all Star break and finishes 14-9 with a 3.3 era. Then in the playoffs the giants are down 0-2 in a 5 game series against the reds, he pitches a gem, giants win, end up taking the series. Next series we are facing elimination again in game 6, vogelsong pitches a gem we win then we go on to win the world series. He went 3-0 in four games with 24 innings pitched and a 1.00 era in the post season. The giants don't win their first world series in San Francisco without him. 

TLDR: drafted by giants in 1998, fell out of the league, went to Japan, bounced around the MLB, landed back with the giants, dominates in the playoffs and wins a world series in 2012 

Wait, when did Vogelsong play in the NFL? :)

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

It could happen but I doubt it does even if he is SB MVP. If he was 25 or younger and this was his first real shot, absolutely. If he would have come in for Wentz and played well each game, probably. He has had over 100 rating each of the three playoff games he has played and has 5 TD to no INTs so maybe someone overpays for his clutch ability but I still don't foresee a 2nd.

At best someone would trade for him to start until a drafted QB is ready. I don't think anyone trades for him as a long term starter and thus doesn't give up a higher pick.

2 hours ago, OleXmad said:
2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Team already traded for Nick foles, the eagles gave up more for the superior Bradford than they got for Foles.

I really doubt after his Stint with the rams many teams are going to see this is as a "Second coming" of Foles. 

I think you underestimate the Jeff Fisher Effect! His Rams debacle will be as easily forgotten as Case Keenum and Jared Goff's. Fisher sucks that bad!!

Say what you will about Foles but he has proven more times then Not, when placed in the right system. He can thrive. I'm not saying he's worth the money or pick compensation but it doesn't mean another team won't think otherwise. 

Especially if he somehow wins the SB.

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think you underestimate the Jeff Fisher Effect! His Rams debacle will be as easily forgotten as Case Keenum and Jared Goff's. Fisher sucks that bad!!

Say what you will about Foles but he has proven more times then Not, when placed in the right system. He can thrive. I'm not saying he's worth the money or pick compensation but it doesn't mean another team won't think otherwise. 

Especially if he somehow wins the SB.

...Fair point. Jeff Fisher's offense has proven time and time again it screwed over good QBs.

Just now, Starless said:

big no to all of those

I don't know, when I think about a guy who was really good and then really bad and then was a backup, that's not that weird to me. That's not as weird as Flynn being a backup, getting a huge contract and getting beat out in camp and then being gone. Flacco being horrible except in the playoffs, Warner being out of the league then coming back and being awesome, and Osweiler going from team to team and being trade bait and a huge contract only to end up where he was.

Archived